Steam Next Fest demos: What to play for a civ-fanatic?

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
So, did you after all these years get bored of Civ6, and you already played through Humankind and Old World?
Okay, we will not believe any of that, but if you want to try something else in between, why not check out the demos of the Steam Next Fest for a free test play?

A list of demos, which are interesting for a civ-fanatic:
  • Revival: Recolonization is a turn-based 4X game, in which you need to re-build civilization after an apocalypse, including city development and diplomacy. You also might find the ruins of some world wonders
  • Great House Of Calderia is a real-time 4X game, similar to the paradox games, set in the renaissance.
  • Terra Nil is the opposite of a city builder, where you need to re-store an eco-system from an industrial world, basically unmaking civilization (also on GOG)
  • Terra Invicta is a 4X game where you try to defend a divided earth against an incoming alien invasion
  • Farlanders is a turn-based builder where you try colonize Mars
  • Myriads: Renaissance is a turn-based builder set in a renaissance fantasy setting, where you need to conquer a world of flying shards
  • Citizens: Far Lands is a turn-based builder in a medieval setting
  • ZOR: Pilgrimage Of The Slorfs is a turn-based monster-fighting manager with really cute monsters
  • Hexarchy is a turn-based, hex-based deck-building civ game
Not in the Steam Next Fest, but available on GOG is:
  • Ozymandias: Bronze Age Empire is the most-civ like game in this list. As Old World, it also focuses on ancient times, with multiple empires competing for hegemony.

Did we forget any relevant demos? Let us know here!
EDIT: Damn, I just noticed this ends today. Install them fast!

Last edited:
At least some of them are still available. I just started downloading Revival, Calderia, Farlanders, and Ozymandias.

Last year, most of them time-limited their demo to just the festival, but some remained demo-playable indefinitely. If you ask me, the latter is the smart way to go; there were way too many to try even when I saw the festival in time, so the ones that time limited the demo to just the festival largely didn't get tried, or subsequently purchased.

TBH I wouldn't see a reason to make them time-limited. Having a free try is the best advertising. Having the Next Fest where all of them are announced together gives more publicity. Having the event plus endless availability is certainly the best.

These titles are still in development. When you have big changes, then the demo might not anymore reflect the state of the game. So I guess this could be a valid reason.

EDIT: I just found that Hexarchy also has a demo, https://store.steampowered.com/app/1356810/Hexarchy/ .

Last edited:
Top Bottom