1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

STEAM SALE started Nov 23

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by truenarnian, Nov 24, 2011.

1. truenarnian

truenarnian Emperor

CIV 5 stuff on sale at Steam.

So now I can finally pick up Korea for less than $5.

Should I buy the Wonders of the Ancient World packs as well? I find that I don't really enjoy scenarios, so I would only be buying it for the extra wonders...which doesn't seem worth it to me. Anyone want to correct my impression of the Wonders pack? Or should I only get Korea?

2. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

The Wonders pack adds some variety to the game. at USD$3.34 I think that it's worth buying.

3. avdale

avdale Chieftain

I'd recommend not buying anything until the final day. There is a chance Civ5 and it's DLC might be part of the specific 1 day sales and you might be able to buy it cheaper then as opposed to buying right now.

4. Ruler

Ruler Prince

Steam is the Devil. Dont buy anything unless its 75%, even then you can find it cheap somewhere else, but usually good price.

5. ShunNakamura

ShunNakamura Warlord

I debated. . . Sales are tempting. However, 40 dollars(I am not interested in only a partial game after all) is more than I payed for my VN's by a fair amount AND I also have to put up with Steam. So Steam in this case is the deal breaker. I *might* be willing at the 20-30 dollar range, despite the steam annoyance(close to 20 equals more likely). However if they offered a Steam/DRM free version up to date with all content for 60 dollars I would jump on it like a madman.

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Since the 2K sale runs a few days anyway, I would concur with wait to see if Civ V DLC itself goes on deeper sell for a day or a few hours.

Myself, the way I play I rarely build ancient wonders; so buying that DLC would just amount to giving the AI a few more wonders.
    Explorers seem to be what's more interesting to me along with some of the civs.

A bit more info on steam:
    They seem to start and stop sells at Noon Central. (at least the 24 hour ones)

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

Quoted for wisdom.

Even though it might be attractive to buy earlier, wait and make sure it doesn't come round as a daily deal.
    You don't want to see the day after you've bought it it's even cheaper.
    A few extra days of patience can pocket you a few euros. And if not, then there's no harm done and you buy it on the last day.

8. Ruler

Ruler Prince

Wait guys. Christmas means 50/75%, most common promotion is 33/50. They try sell all kind of bundles, they change prices alot so its better to take your time.

9. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

IF you find it cheaper please do post it so it can get announced. If Civ5 doesn't go on a daily deal during this Thanksgiving sale, I recommend waiting for the winter holiday sale too.

10. Starhemberg

Starhemberg Chieftain

Hi guys, first post for me ;)

I just bought the Spain & Inca DLC and Babylon DLC a day before this offer started *sniffle*
    But whatever i think they are great and worth the money.
    Yesterday i bought the Wonders & Korea Pack for 3,5 €.
    I mean yeah sure you can wait to save some money but i love this game and wanted something new.
    I hope there will be some new DLC or Expansion Packs soon.

and @ Wonders pack:
    I really like it. It ads 3 Wonders to CivV (and a new Scenario)
    The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
    The Statue of Zeus
    Temple of Artemis
    which can be built in the early phase of the game.

11. Selous

Selous King

evil, EVIL, all DLC is evil

well someone had to say it

$4US for a civ ... perhaps, might wait for xmas sales or even a daily deal, 33% isnt much compaired to everything on the front page, all 50-75%

12. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Impulse (Gamestop) has Civ V on sale for $7.49

14. Melendor

Melendor Warlord

It is expensive anyway, I will wait for a good price for all DLCs.

15. sparkyal

sparkyal Warlord

how long will the steam sale last?

16. anandus

anandus Errorist

until the 27th (it says on the main page in Steam, just above 'autumn sale' ;) )

17. HappyBuilder

HappyBuilder Chieftain

Y'know, as much as I'd like the DLCs at this point, I find I can't reward bad behavior. The release of Civ5 was a failure. They took my $50 for a practically non-functioning product. I stuck with it, patch by patch, and it finally reached a point where I enjoyed the game for a little while. But now that I'm too good for Emperor, I find Immortal and Deity to be tedious slugfests. The DLCs might spice it up, but screw it. I'd be a fool to continue paying into this.

And to give you some background, a lot of my frustration is coming from the video game industry in general. I don't know how many of you play EA's NHL series, but the '12 release was just as messed up as the Civ5 release. The game was obviously not tested. At all. And this they can't just patch away because some of us dinosaurs refuse to connect our consoles to the internet...largely because Sony has proven time and time again it can't protect us for beans AND because Sony and Microsoft haven't earned the right to track me in this manner. I bought a console - for my home. If they want more info about what I'm playing, they can PAY ME for that data. And so can Steam. Until that day, Steam can monitor me not playing Civ5. I think I'm done.

HB

18. anandus

anandus Errorist

*bump*

Civ5 is on sale today, daily deal :)

19. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Anandus beat me to the bump but here's the details:

this is a 66% off sell for both the base content and the various DLCs; it ends tomorrow at Noon Central (US) (-06:00)

Edit: Here's what I picked up:

Spain + Inca : (Really for Spain)
    Explorers & Denmark combo (Mostly for the explorers)
    These are both $2.53 each at the moment. There's one state that people need to add sales tax but I didn't pay attention to which one.

20. truenarnian

truenarnian Emperor

Thanks for telling me to wait!

Just picked up Korea and Ancient wonders for $2 and change.