1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam WORKSHOP .. completely wrecked up tonight!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zyxpsilon, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

I've been getting successive auto-updates (for both Civ6 & XCom2 mods) for about an hour now.

Many mods are just being wiped out from my folders.
    So far those i've been either wasted partly or missing some core files;

--871861883 (YaMP)
    --900089445 (RealGreatPeople)
    --1126451168 (Simplified Gossip)
    --1341630847 (BetterCivilopedia)
    --1780895460 (Z-UnitMarkers)

Also ... these have vanished entirely
    --1601259406 (Enhanced Mod Manager)
    --1331757859 (Civitas CSE)
    --1652106496 (GreatWorksViewer)
    --1709115371 (MapSearchExtension)
    --1461463960 (TerraMirabilis)
    --1791991342 (CustomHistoricMoments)
    -- ...??

There might be other Mods suffering from this wreck since most users have very different mods lists & their Steam Libraries aren't kept in the same manner as anyone else's or mine.

WTF!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Yeah, same here. But after restarting the computer, watching it download ~300 mb again, unsuccessfully trying to load my game again, watching the download again, then finally all the essential mods were there. Real great people was still missing (ugh, the default interface is awful). But I could play.
    Not sure what made it finally work for me. Hope it works itself out for you, too.

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

No such luck -- so far. All it does is going back & forth with successive YaMP re-downloads and just stops. Everything i've listed above still wasted or gone.
    STEAM better fix this horrible mess.. asap or else. :sad: :nono: :mad:

4. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

Thanks for the heads up. Steam was bugging me to update as I read this.

5. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Okay .. i just went in all Guns Blazing and simply assumed that re-subscribing to "Enhanced Mod Manager" would repair something in the latest Steam hell cycle & somehow, the missing mods were re-aquired after awhile.
    WTF-Bis!

PS: But i am fairly sure Steam was guilty with its DataBase scan status for a good chunk of the evening as judging from various Online reports and confirmations for a number of games/worshops. No way to verify how or why though -- as usual with these gimmicky power-houses of monopolistic distributors. Oh well. What a silly bunch of events.

6. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Same mess this morning over here.
    Self auto-updates by Steam..

7. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Warlord

i am also getting updates each time steam is restarted. all my games with mods

8. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Somebody claimed there is a manual fix by clearing Steam Cache.
    DO NOT try that.. it just won't work.

The whole problem is connected to yesterday's client update. Since that moment, the dominoes started crumbling down all over North-America for multiple games and their workshop feeds.
    We can only hope they are aware and will repair the stuff asap.
    Usually.. Steam staff shows up at 9:00AM Pacific -- which is in about 3 hours.

In the meantime -- i went OFFLINE semi-permanently & kept valid states of the correctly updated Mods... until Steam has re-acted accordingly.

9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Oh god, this is annoying. It had deleted a number of mods, I had to go in and unsubscripe and subscripe again, and then had to download some manually, and now it has deleted them again! :gripe:

10. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

YUP -- that's precisely the mind wrecking issue. When i noticed it.. i immediately came here to report.
    As of now.. still no news on a proper official fix though.

11. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

So weird and frustrating. After being able to play last night, it was messed up again just now when my daughter tried to load our hot seat game. Anyone know how widespread this is? If it was affecting everyone with mods, I'd think there would be more posts in this thread of people complaining.

12. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

Personally, I'm avoiding Steam entirely until someone else says this is fixed, so I have no real way of knowing whether or not it affects my mods. Better safe than sorry. Others may feel the same.

Meluhhan likes this.
  13. _Mooc_

_Mooc_ Chieftain

Oh, OK I thought I caused this myself. Im trying out different map scripts so Im restarting a lot. Guess I chose the wrong day to try that.

14. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Alright.. i ultimately dared "Clearing the Cache" from the Settings option related to Downloads to check if that would fix anything indirectly -- and it looks like it does.

Lost patience waiting for some official feedback news from Valve and it seems they simply wont react to that latest flaw .. which probably means the generic Updating process was indeed broken up by their earliest Client/Update with cache wrecks for most people. Still their fault & no courtesy in the follow up hours when we had to worry about HOW to deal with such conditions.

Case closed -- unless another flaw re-appears in the next hours/days.

15. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Any update on these issues?

16. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

Steam's working fine for me.

17. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Same.

18. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Yeah.. right --NOW-- it does work fine. But for some people, the total Twilight-Zone wreck already occured.

The technical issue was related to "SteamWorks" self-applied Common-Redist system that got corrupted while a critical Client update was rolled out initially in the afternoon that day. After that, the cache systems were wrecked over in **SOME** members folders.. and the repetitive messy out-going of Mod files from servers began. Runtime checks can get fooled even by the most prudent online principles.
    Sadly.. no direct response by Valve was ever given (i should add -- as usual!) & a few of us basicly had to manually scrap the (presumably) flawed Cache on our systems.

Solved -- but not before having wasted tons of bandwidth cycles on stupid D/L of files (in my case.. 12 Civ6 mods & 4 with XCom2.. many times over within about 14/16 hours).

You know the drill -- DON'T PANIC!

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  19. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

There is a post on steam if anyone still has issues:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/1640919103668473336/#c1640919103673250958