Steb's Civs

Steb

Emperor
Welcome to the Modmod of Modmods, bringing together the civilizations that I have made.

Currently, this mod includes my Israel mod (original thread) and my Classical Mesoamerica mod (original thread). I have no immediate plans to create new civs, but if I do, I will add them here instead of creating a standalone mod. (Candidates include Assyria, the Muisca, Tiwanaku, Burma, and Belgium, but in all cases it makes more sense to wait for the larger map.)

To download, use the branch stebs_civs on my GitHub. I recommend following Merjin's instructions to set up your git and easily switch between branches.

Features:
  • New civilization: Israel
    • Starts at Jerusalem in 1948
    • Leader: Ben-Gurion
    • UP: The Power of Aliyah – Extra food, production and commerce in your capital for every Jewish city with open borders; immigration from Jewish cities at war
    • UB: Kibbutz – replaces park; provides extra food and Great People points
    • UU: Merkava – replaces main battle tank; requires no resources, 50% withdrawal chance
    • UHV:
    1. Samson Option: Build an ICBM by 1980
    2. Start-up Nation: Have the city with the highest research output for any 10 turns
    3. By Stratagem You Wage War: Create 2 Great Spies
  • New civilization: Teotihuacan
    • Starts in the Valley of Mexico in 200 BC
    • Leader: Atlatl Cauac
    • UP: The Power of Obsidian – Melee units do not require strategic resources
    • UB: Temazcal – replaces bath; grants extra health
    • UU: Artisan – replaces worker; produces culture when in a city
    • UHV:
    1. Mesoamerican Metropolis: Have more than 500 culture in 550 AD
    2. Birthplace of the Gods: Experience a golden age by 550 AD
    3. The Toltec Empire: Control all tiles in Mesoamerica in 1000 AD
  • Maya start date moved to 750 BC
  • New wonder: Pyramid of the Sun

Last edited:
Candidates include Assyria, the Muisca, Tiwanaku, Burma, and Belgium, but in all cases it makes more sense to wait for the larger map.

My votes go for Assyria and Belgium. Though I'm still hoping Assyria will eventually get included in DOC.

I'm getting a python error
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 400, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "CvRFCEventHandler", line 766, in onTechAcquired
  File "Stability", line 132, in onTechAcquired
  File "Stability", line 310, in checkStability
  File "Stability", line 696, in calculateStability
AttributeError: 'CyCity' object has no attribute 'setStabilityPopulation'

Uh, no clue. I haven’t touched this in forever and it must be severely outdated, and I have a feeling this error is due to that.

You’re merging the mod into yours? I’m not sure if I can be of any help, but if you have questions please ask.

Uh, no clue. I haven’t touched this in forever and it must be severely outdated, and I have a feeling this error is due to that.

You’re merging the mod into yours? I’m not sure if I can be of any help, but if you have questions please ask.
Well I was going to play this mod a bit before deciding whether or not to merge it. If you're no longer maintaining it and it's not functional in it's current state I'm not sure whether I should try to fix it or look into adding other Civs.

As far as I know and remember, it should be functional in the last state I left it in. I don't remember modifying anything related to stability, which is why the error you posted puzzles me.

As far as I know and remember, it should be functional in the last state I left it in. I don't remember modifying anything related to stability, which is why the error you posted puzzles me.
In that case I'll look into it then

Is iIsrael intended to be absent from lCivBioOldWorld in Consts?

EDIT: TXT_KEY_UHV_AREA_72 in Regions is redundant. Both it and TXT_KEY_UHV_AREA_33 have the same English and French translations

Last edited:
I merged your pulled request. However, I'm not in a position to playtest it right now, so please tell me if there's anything wrong with it!

Is iIsrael intended to be absent from lCivBioOldWorld in Consts?
I think so? It spawns (long) after the Columbian exchange, so the distinctions are irrelevant by then. And Israel had some immigration from the Americas even before its independence, so they can't be said to be "biologically" from either the Old or the New World.

EDIT: TXT_KEY_UHV_AREA_72 in Regions is redundant. Both it and TXT_KEY_UHV_AREA_33 have the same English and French translations
TXT_KEY_UHV_AREA_72 is identical to TXT_KEY_REGION_33, not TXT_KEY_UHV_AREA_33. One is a region and the other is a UHV area. I'm not sure what the distinction is, but this situation is far from being the only such redundancy.

Last edited:
Submitted another pull request to fix two mistakes I made during merging.

I designed and implemented the Olmec civilization as part of the Civilization Reborn modmod. I assume it will be merged into the modmod sometime soon. For reference, here are the civilization details:

The Olmecs
Spawn in southeast Veracruz (1E of the stone tile) in 1600 BC
  • Starting techs: Tanning, Mining and Agriculture
Leader: Tezcatlipoca
  • Favorite civic: Despotism
UB: Colossal Head, replaces Monument, +1 artist slot
UU: Blowgunner, replaces Scout, can attack
UP: The Power of Nixtamal: excess food provides an equivalent amount of commerce
UHV:
  1. Mother Culture of Mesoamerica: Build 4 culture-producing buildings by 400 BC
  2. The Long Count Begins: Discover two of Writing, Arithmetic and Calendar by 400 BC
  3. A Magnetite Artifact: Be the first to discover Compass
Other:
  • Stability hit starting in 400 BC, so that they collapse and leave ruins
  • Changed first Danibaan spawn date to 400 BC and removed the corresponding Holkan spawn (otherwise they just spawn next to the Olmec capital and sit there doing nothing)
  • Core = 2 tiles, the spawn tile and the stone tile
  • Historical area = some tiles in central Mexico and Guatemala (we see Olmec influence from the Valley of Mexico to the Maya areas)
  • Pagan URV2: settle three great artists
  • Colors:
    • Primary: yellowish jade green
    • Secondary color: orange
  • Symbol: the face of a colossal head
  • City names: since we don't know any Olmec city names, I had to get creative. I approximately translated "La Venta" (The Sale) and "Tres Zapotes" (Three Sapotes) into Totontepec Mixe, a language of the Mixe-Zoque family, thought to have included the Olmecs' language. This gave "Je Taa'c" and "Toojc Yuctsoo'c" respectively. I chose Totontepec Mixe because I was able to find a fairly comprehensive Spanish-Mixe dictionary.

Top Bottom