1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

stem cell treatment being tried out against macular degeneration

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Hrothbern, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

https://www.theguardian.com/society...blindness-cure-after-restoring-patients-sight

This is really good news when it turns out to work on a grand scale.
    Children now being born in the Netherlands are predicted to become well over a hundred years from better medical insight and care, but getting old with Alzheimer and/or blindness is not really an attractive perspective.
    I will not mind ending up in a wheelchair at old age, but the idea that I become too blind to read and write, to see the people I talk to, to enjoy the beauty of nature, to see films and art, to play computer games, really horrifies me.
    https://www.brightfocus.org/macular/article/age-related-macular-facts-figures

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Your post sent me of search of results of stem search research in California. After Pres. Bush banned federal funding for stem cell research, the people of California (including me) voted to invest $3 billion of their own. :gold:

I see that researchers excel as spending money, but we don't have a lot of tangible results yet. Scores, perhaps hundreds, of projects are putting along. I saw no cures.

I was hoping to see something for osteoarthritis, which afflict 10's of million, including me. There's progress, but no imminent cure. :shake:

3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Osteoarthritis is diagnosed by her symptoms and that is telling:
    The symptoms of osteoarthritis are specific but the cause is in most cases not specific.
    So you can expect remedies to be developed for specific causes (like genes)

but a general remedy needs the tech to grow the right cells at the right location at the right speed.
    To be sustainable, that right speed of regrowth, of repair, must be in balance with the metabolic root causes, of which many are related to a multifold of detrimental derailments of a metabolism depending on a huge variation in genes all over the place, ageing, lifestyle, nutrition, etc. So totally non-specific.
    If we could solve that, the solution is probably close to generating extreme longevity.

That leaves however still the temp solution open to regrow every so many years the cells lost by osteoarthritis. As a temp cure.

4. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Stem cell clinics busted!

5. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Stem cell clinics busted!