Stewardship & Lay Ministry - working?

Stef09

Warlord
Relatively new to Civ 6 so eager to try everything out. Using just a few mods, most notably Historical Religions and Sukritact's Natural Wonders.

I'm wondering about the beliefs Stewardship and Lay Ministry as I understood that each campus/commercial hub and holy site/theater square in my empire would provide +1 of its respective yield per city I have following my religion.

So example:
I have 3 holy sites and 7 cities following my religion. I was expecting Lay Ministry to give me 3 x 7 = +21 faith, but instead I just get "+3 from beliefs" (this is similar for the other districts).

Is this correct, since this feels pretty underwhelming? Or is there a bug or mod conflict?

Thanks!

I believe those are founder beliefs. You'll be getting only +3 in this case, but keep in mind you also get bonuses from districts in foreign cities which follow your religion.

I never found those two beliefs to be that useful. I assume they are much better when playing huge maps with plenty of Civs and cities.

Thanks for your reaction!

Right, so this is only really worth it when you actively spread your religion to other civs but even then it's not major. Weird, since I also saw someone saying that these are considered the best beliefs of them all.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the Dance of the Aurora and Work Ethic combo ;)

Taken from the wiki, which I presume is the same as in game:

20210511_135401.jpg

So, when for each city you have converted, you will get +1 faith if it has a HS and +1 culture if it has a TS. Since you have 3 HSs in total, then you will have +3 faith.

It works well in large maps with well developed cities - 30 cities following your religion could give you +30 faith per turn and +30 culture, which isn't to be sniffed at. I tend to find that most beliefs are underwhelming anyway - they're a useful boost at the beginning, but quickly get swamped by your various other bonuses and income.

Given that you find these underwhelming (I agree), it's worth noting that there is another set of founder beliefs that I find more useful and more potent. For culture I like to go with World Church (I think it's called) and for science with Cross Cultural Dialogue. These tie culture and science yields to the number of followers, not to the presence of districts. So if you have a city with a population of 10, of whom 8 are followers of your belief, you'll get +2 of culture or +2 of science, not just the +1 from the district. And if you're spreading religion, you'll get these bonuses whether or not the target city has the relevant district in place. The amount of culture or science you can generate this way is not insignificant, and much easier to attain I find.

Is this correct, since this feels pretty underwhelming? Or is there a bug or mod conflict?
Easily among the worst beliefs in the game imo. As mentioned above, Tithe, Cross Culture Dialogue or World Church is almost guaranteed to provide you massively bigger yields.

Top Bottom