1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticks and stones may get you shot by police

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-washington-police-shooting-20150211-story.html]

-Do you think shooting this man armed with rocks was justified?

Some may be quick to say no, but in my view it actually makes police-sense:

1) Police get told man throws rocks at cars.
    2) Police see man throwing stones at them.
    3) Police fear that this means they will be morphed into cars.
    4) Shoot to kill, boys!

You don't play with people's minds, man... :nope:

2. NetGear

NetGear King

Eh. I don't see this as bad as other incidents. The cops tried using non lethal methods. Still didn't have to shoot him though. Its not like this guy was a serious threat. But that's how US is so iys not that suprrising that cops would use lethal force to solve the situation.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Police need to hire this woman and get training in how to capture people without shooting them.

4. Darkflight

Darkflight Prince

It's just the normal case of the police pushing a situation to a point where they can justify (justify as in they will probably not suffer any consequence) shooting someone.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

In a lot of this country, if you're mentally ill and the cops show up, you're pretty much screwed.

6. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

So stun guns don't work you skip batons and move onto guns?

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Well if they had rushed him with batons/billyclubs/nightsticks and given him a woodshed beatdown we might have another Rodney King situation on our hands :(. So there's that to consider, although I doubt they said to themselves "Hmmm if we get caught on tape beating this guy with batons that's gonna look bad so lets just gun him down instead":ar15:

But yeah, tear gas, pepper spray... Hell they could have picked up rocks themselves and started pelting the guy...

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

If you're lazy. A lot of cops in the U.S. seem to be lazy. Have you seen how fat some of them are?

9. Kyriakos

Another issue is that from the video of what happened (youtube is filled with versions of it) it is very clear that:

-the now dead man was running and had no rocks on him when executed, and his hands were raised to the sky in 'surrender' mode
    -the police already shot at him, which caused him to run away. He clearly was afraid that if he did not he would die. Well, he later stopped running, and 1/10 of a second later he was dead.

Looks HORRIBLE.

10. Sommerswerd

Don't the London police work without handguns? Or at least patrol without them?

Maybe we should consider that in the US... Tazers, mace, tranquilzer darts, stun grenades, tear gas grenades, nightsticks, but no handguns/shotguns. If you really can't subdue a person with all that you can call in the "dogcatcher" Unit to "net' the person. If they Hulk-smash their way out of a net-snare then fine, call in the S.W.A.T. team and fire-away... but it will probably never come to that.

11. Kyriakos

Is that true, though?

Given back in 1998-2002 i saw regularly english policemen in central London with very visible and full-on automatic weapons, i doubt they no longer exist now. They probably are even more common post-2001.

And i don't mean just around the parliament. They were in any central zone area, including virtually 100% civilian dwelling and 'rich' parts of town.

12. EgonSpengler

I don't have it handy, but someone on this forum once posted a YouTube vid of police somewhere in the UK dealing with a guy who was waving a machete around. Somehow they managed to not shoot him.

I'm curious how many times this guy with the rocks got shot. When US cops shoot somebody, they often fire dozens of rounds. Back in '99, when Amadou Diallo made the mistake of reaching for his wallet, NYPD cops fired 40+ shots. When Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams were killed, Cleveland police fired 137 shots, more than were fired at Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker (aka "Bonnie & Clyde", the famous bank robbers of the 1930s).

13. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

From what I've seen of various policing forces cop weight is usually associated with age. The older cops usually carry a helluva a lot more excess weight than younger ones and I can't really wrap my head around how is that acceptable if you are in a job where stamina and endurance are sometimes essential.

I also remember a case in Bosnia where the police sniper just kneecapped the armed veteran who went a bit off the reservation and the rapid response squad moved in with shields and disarmed him. Do Americans just really have that big of a hard-on for killing?

14. Sommerswerd

:dunno: I don't live in UK that's why I asked. I just read this article on why cops in Britain and New Zealand don't carry guns.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Police use of Firearms in the United Kingdom
    Well there are some significant differences between those two situations that easily explain that ... ... .. .

15. EgonSpengler

It does seem to be a pattern, yes.

16. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

It seems people think throwing rocks isn't dangerous, but this man was a danger to society the fact he refuse to stop what he was doing put him in this situation.

17. EgonSpengler

It doesn't matter. We are long past trusting that law enforcement officers can make proper life and death, use-of-force decisions. So even when it's really justified, we cannot trust them. The fact that this man was homeless and had a non-Anglo surname raises more red flags than a Soviet propaganda film.

18. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Yeah you really can't spare the rod on those fleeing homeless persons.

19. Sommerswerd

I'm just imagining a kid with a bag full of baseballs, which you'd know are just as "dangerous" as rocks if you've ever had the pleasure of being hit by one in the face (which I have).

"Put down the baseball, young man... or we will be forced to open fire!... Do NOT... I repeat do not throw another one of those... I said DON'T!... OK boys let em' have it!! :ar15: [pissed]

20. EgonSpengler

Yes, I think the guns carried by police today carry many more rounds, and fire and reload much faster. I don't know how long it takes someone with some basic training to empty the magazine of a police-issue pistol, but I imagine it's only a few seconds.