1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stiel´s Capitol Isolating War-strategy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by WUM, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Carver

Carver King

If time is of the essence, or you just don't feel like activating all those bombers, just nuke the capital and destroy all the (rail)roads. Of course, if some of the other civs haves nukes and you don't have SDI...:eek: watch out.

2. binyo66

binyo66 King

Can we use it when the capital has airport or harbor? or do we need to destroy the airport and harbor as well?

3. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

The fact is that if a Capitals network is destroyed it only means that Stratigic and Luxory resources it IMPORTS are cut off. All domesticly owned resources are still connected via other cities.

4. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit King

Have you ever played on Warlord level?

It's a lot harder than Chieftain.

5. Frollo

Frollo Prince

Take a look at this picture:

City A has access to Iron.
    City D has access to Horses.
    All roads to the capital are cut.

Now you're trying to tell us that ONLY city A has access to Iron and ONLY city D has access to Horses?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe it. I think city B and C can still build Swordsmen and city E will still be able to produce Horsemen.

Sure, if the capitol isn't connected to the trade network, it can't trade with other civs. But I'm pretty sure any city connected to a resource, can use that resource. Capitol connected or not.

6. Kute

Kute Gaian

The best option now is to test in a game and use spies to know each city avaiable ressources. I don't have a game handy right now, i'm deep in War Academy reading. :)
    So who is to volunteered?

7. zurichuk

zurichuk King

i'm reasonably sure frollo is correct

8. zurichuk

zurichuk King

OK sorry for posting twice in succession, couldn't edit the previous post to add the image

ok here i have cut off my capital but all the other cities can still produce tanks, etc using resources I have connected in my territory elsewhere. When I cut off the last road I lost all imports (which were saltpetre, coal and some luxes which explains the other missing units)

9. Catt

Catt Emperor

Wow! A really old thread revived.

Capitol isolation works only to deprive a civ from trading with other civs -- all imported goods pass through the capitol. Domestic goods do not need to pass through the capitol, they just need a connection -- any city that is connected to a domestic resource in any way still has access to that resource, regardless of the status of the capitol.

Put another way, frollo's statement is absolutey correct (as is zurichuk's example).

The capitol isolation strategy can still be very powerful where the enemy is importing needed strategic resources or significant luxuries, but is not quite as powerful as the original author(s) originally proclaimed.

10. apparition

apparition Warlord

I did not know that about resources. I'm gonna nuke some capitols

11. Frollo

Frollo Prince

Oops, I forgot to notice :o :)

12. Aramis

Aramis Chieftain

ok, so this strategy is basically destroying all imports to that civ, and limiting any stuff that are on the city itself to that city. there's not often many imports, the person you're fighting might not have too many friends left and for the resources he has himself, you can just go kill the road on that resource. by still doing this

airports can connect and import resources too right? so if they have airports, this wont work.
    this works best with bombers from carriers of nearby taken over cities, so you can freely bombard all the land around the cities.
    if you have bombers, theyll probably have quite a load of airports.
    or you could take your arty stack next to the city, put guards for it, and shell down everything around the city.
    thats not so great since you could instead just shell the town itself and attack it.
    nuking seems good the time you do it and a couple turns after, but by nuking first you change the rules. everybody is gonna start nuking any time then :(
    cavalry pillaging would probably work best, you can actually do it in the ancient times, cutting their iron. your cav will retreat if they try to take them out by attacking from capital. they cant chase you two squares, because you just owned their roads.

13. Catt

Catt Emperor

Remember that all imports must pass through the capitol. If you destroy the airport (and harbor) in the capitol, meaning that it is truly isolated, no imports will make it through, no matter how many other enemy cities in the empire have airports.

14. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

I remember one game a long time ago I wiped out all the other civs in the world except for England, which i was currently at war with. This was a real world map, I had two cities in Europe, one in France that I was using as a military base, and a small island off of England. Once I got all my troops in position I started sandwiching them. I was attacking England and the area that it spread into in the other European countries. Anyway I had the upper hand and I was destroying one city after another. One turn Elizabeth comes to me asking for peace. I accept and offer her my whole treasury, which was like over 20K in exchange for all of her cities except for her capital. Foolishly she accepted. Well got a couple of nukes and you can figure out the rest as I was the only civ left and got all my $ back :)

15. Grille

Grille panel insect

Probably wrong thread, but...

if you could sign such deal
    Code:
    Lizzy        CIVPhilzilla
    peace(20)       peace(20)
    A-town          20000gold
    B-city
    C-metro

you need to install latest patch.

on topic: Despite from preventing resource imports by pillaging the surrounding roads (respectively bombing the harbor/airport), isolating the capital would increase corruption in all cities (assuming the ai "uses" the corruption formula).

16. Dida

Dida YHWH

This strategy did not work. If you isolate his capital, his other cities still has access to whatever resource they have. Just the imports are stopped.

17. Dignitas

Dignitas Chieftain

I am 100% sure that only imported ressources and luxuries are cut off from all cities. The cities directly connected to a ressource, still can use them.

18. Longasc

Longasc Deity

He described a very simple but VERY effective strategy!

Isolate the enemy capitol.

BUMM.

--- BUT hey, does this not only effect imported ressources???

If the other cities have iron connected, can't they still built units requiring iron or whatever?

19. Grille

Grille panel insect

Guys, it's as easy as that:

Every resource in a civ's territory will be delivered to every city that has a road/harbor/airport connection to that certain resource. [Only if this connection runs (at least partly) through enemy territory, it would not work.]
    Example: an enemy civ has iron connected, their capital is isolated, every other city of them is connected to iron; result: every city except the capital can build (e.g.) swords.

However: Every resource export/import is done via capital. So in the above example, that civ could not import iron due to the isolated capital and could not build (e.g.) swords there.
    If the civ had NO single native iron source, then they could not build swords anywhere, assuming their capital is actually isolated.
    Small note: every resource-dependent build-item will still be completed even when the resource import stops during building phase.
    Example: A civ imports iron and orders a sword in turn 67, say there's 10 turns left to completion. Iron access gets lost in turn 68 due to pillaging, depletion or whatever. But the sword will be ready in turn 77, as long is prod would not be switched after losing resource access (say to temple and then back to sword in turn 70 or so).
    It's similar with worker building RRs, ordering factories, ordering IW etc...
    those items get completed if resource access vanishes during completion phase.

So when to possibly isolate a capital:
    Check native resources of your enemy with control-shift-m, foreign advisor and eventually make diplo efforts to see if some civ has some stuff for trade available or not (=check ongoing trades with your enemy), respectively check resources of your enemy's trading partners (control-shift-m).
    So if you know that a civ has to import a vital resource like rubber (=they have exactly ZERO sources of native rubber, but they obviously import rubber), it may be worth to isolate your enemy's (nearby) capital. Protected exploreres are nice chaps to do this work. It does make a difference if your enemy builds/drafts infantry units or 'just' rifles.

20. Longasc

Longasc Deity

Grille explained it perfectly, thanks a lot.

This means that "Stiel's Capitol Isolating War-strategy" is limited to cases where it has real impact, e.g. cutting of all cities at once from iron or so.

If this is not the case, it boils down to the usual and "standard" ressource denial strategy, e.g. sending suicide Cavalry to pillage, use bombers or paratroopers... whatever.