1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

STILL no patch?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Tom183, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom183

Tom183 Chieftain

What kind of programmers does Firaxis employ, schoolchildren? Or tree sloths? Maybe they're in hibernation until spring?

I know I'm being rude - releasing a buggy product and then taking forever to patch it is even more rude...:mad:

2. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

:coffee:

This is getting a bit old... You probably have no idea about the processes involved into releasing a patch.

3. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

The patch is done.. its fraxis that are taking there time not the programmers. its sat waiting for fraxis to release

4. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

Would you rather have a patch that worked and fixed problems or one that did little or even caused new problems?

As far as I am aware, the patch is being tested so hopefully it wont be too long before its released, but until then you will just have to be patient and quit this boring, pointless whinning.

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Er, Boneys26, Firaxis are the programmers. You are however correct that the patch is done, but it's 2K's QA thats holding it up, not Firaxis.

6. wurm657

wurm657 Chieftain

No, waiting for a Patch is what's getting old.
    Watching people flame those who "Dare to Ask" is getting old.
    People telling others that they "obviously don't understand" is getting old.
    I understand what it takes to get a patch out...I also understand that some of what is in this patch that's always just a few weeks away should have been taken care of BEFORE the release of the game.
    Take 2 is cutting their own thoats here...they really think I'm going to go out and buy "Oblivion" now? Or "warlords"?
    Guaranteed: Take 2 in its' present form will no longer exist before the end of this year.

7. Philips

Philips Chieftain

I hope not. I hope that someone with the inclination and resources to properly develop the Civ IV series buys Take2 or just Civ IV and does a better job with it. having PR people flame anyone who has a problem with a product isn't very good customer relations.

8. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

Thats quite a big claim..

9. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Bongo Bongo are you joking?This company has showed so less respect for their customers and you say that this man is doing a pointless whining.
    You can be the best fanboy i'm also a fan of this game but you can't deny that firaxis is only interested to your money.
    Their customer policy can be summed up:
    -game published incomplete and with memory leaks and other problems
    -nearly never devs go to the forums to have feedback from customers
    -we are 5-6 months after the game was released and some people can't play the game (not me)
    -i'm sure that the next patch will be released after or at the same time of warlords xp to improve their sellings

Shame on you Firaxis!
    CIV4 is really a good game but your customer policy make me really think if you really deserve my money

10. wurm657

wurm657 Chieftain

More than aware of that...but the fact is, they're already in trouble from what I understand, and there is a flap over this. Someone in another thread said to take a quick look at Amazon's customer reviews for the game , so I did...they're awful!
    Add to that the fact that "Oblivion" is almost sure to follow the same poor business model Take 2 employed with Civ IV and the bad fallout I'll assume will follow, and you've got so much ill-will created that enough people will stop buying their products that they will cease to have proper cash-flow.
    (Not to mention it is never profitable to be replacing faulty discs, prepping an English tech-tree to replace one in French, fielding hundreds of calls a day to the customer support line, creating and distributing free fix-it patches, etc.)

11. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

First of all I'm not trying to start a fight, all companies have problems with their games, and Firaxis is no exception, but if you are going to make claims like "the devs never go to the forums" you need to pay more attention to what goes on around here. There are several firaxis people registered here at Civilization Fanatics, including Soren, the lead programer who even posted the cheat codes for the game, and Mustafa Thamer, the python programer, and other people who are from Firaxis, and come and look around (so much so that they adopted an actual mod from here into the game). To say that they never go to the forums is just wrong, and is wrong to the people at Firaxis who have to put up with this.

12. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

well i knew it was sat on someones desk waiting the ok :lol:

I love the idea that the programmers come in and chat it shows they care about there work. Its a shame how ever that the companies involved only care about making money quick. I would have loved to had seen the game if given a few more months developing/testing (we might have even been given the cruise missile and not just one rocket that nobody really wants to use) I don't blame the programmers at all they done the best job they could given the budget/time line the companies set them. lets face it nobody likes to hear the work they done was crap doesn't matter who they are.

13. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Firaxis had the patch done a while ago. They are finally letting Soren take a vacation.

14. SimCutie

SimCutie Warlord

Humm. I was waiting it for a month or two...
    Can it be possible they release beta version of SDK first and patch later?
    At least May we get the documents and sources though it wil not work with current 1.52 version..
    Then we can read and learn it while waiting the patch get out...
    It would be better to have beta SDK than waiting empty-handed...

15. FranklinNoble

FranklinNoble Chieftain

I imagine the game will work much better for just about everybody once the expansion pack comes out.

Sadly, this is the way pretty much all game releases are handled now... the initial release is really just a year-long paid beta test while the bugs get worked out.

16. groston

groston Chieftain

No, you are not being rude. IMHO, Firaxis should have their colelctive a**es sued for releasing such non-funcitonal rubbish.

17. The 777 Hoax

The 777 Hoax future skeleton

Has anyone here produced a game that takes years to plan and program and millions of people plan on buying it? A game that wins 2005 Strategy Game of the Year? I think not. It takes time people. Be patient. You people would make bad Jedi Knights.

18. zx1111

zx1111 Warlord

But it's too much....
    Look on-line MMORPG's ( like WOW, Lineage II...)
    These larger and more complex game than Civ4 are normally can be patched regularly in once or twice per month or even more... It is much more complex, have taken longer to develope, has much more players, developers and sales than Civ4. Then they are much quicker in crancking out patchs than Firaxis/2K

During the period Firaxis delayed the supposed patch ( Now nealy approaching, two month I guess).The MMORPG I played, issued 3 patches with significant new contents addition and changes..
    I think that delay in issueing patch by Firaxis/ 2K is just result of their incompetance, and shows thier disregards and disrespect of their royal customers.
    How the final inspection testing can take nealy a month to finish???

Firaxis announced that they will sell new expansion in this summer.. its is about little more than 6 month after they released Civ 4. So the company which can make a whole new expansion with 6-8 month can take 3 month to make a patch ( after 1.52 came out) ? It shows that they paid very little attention or efforts to make a patch sooner. This is undeniable evidence that they have no respect of customers.. Who can explain this otherwise..??

19. bob rulz

bob rulz Prince

I'll bet you anything that the expansion started development before the game was released. That's how it is a lot of the time. Also, I don't hang around these forums much, since I haven't had much time to play the games, so I'm curious to know what kinds of problems people are experiencing? I honestly have had no problems with the game (but like in every game, I have seen many things they could improve with a patch), just the occassional graphical glitch.

20. guyfamous

guyfamous Chieftain

Firaxis and Take Two can't win with you guys.

If they release it early, without proper testing and there are problems, you'll complain.

If they wait and try and get the bugs worked out before they release it, you'll complain.

If they announce an expansion pack, you'll find issue with that and complain.

What us "fanboys" are tired of are the complaints that are just pointless. If you would read the other "The Patch isn't out yet" posts, you would know that it is in testing and the expected release is within a couple of weeks.

As I see it, even if I am playing a beta release or whatever you complainers want to call it, I am sure as hell having fun. I would rather have the game in my hands, like it was last October, rather than the release date being pushed back further and further. Anybody know when the new Duke Nukem is coming out?

At the risk of setting myself up to being flamed, I hate that this forum has become populated with people who have to find fault with everything that Firaxis and Take Two are doing. I'm sorry if you are having problems, but get used to disappointment. Life is not always perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.