1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

STILL no patch?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Tom183, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philips

Philips Chieftain

You can't return software at most stores except for a new copy of the same title. Even if you could, it wouldn't change the fact that Take2 has screwed up Civilization, which is far more important than the $60.

The only motive that a company has to fix defective software after it has your money is the damage to it's reputation that comes from not fixing it. You might not be able to get your money back, but you can make sure that people know about a poor quality product.

2. Tom183

Tom183 Chieftain

Hear hear!!!

3. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Moderator Action: You are welcome to discuss the patch, or the delays in its delivery, PROVIDED that it is done in a civil manner. Flaming of other posters, and / or bashing of Firaxis & Take2 won't be tolerated.

In short - make your criticisms constructive. Otherwise, its very easy to close threads and/or ban the offenders.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

4. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Cheating customers shouldn't also be allowed.

5. kernok

kernok Warlord

50% true
    blizzard patching machine >> firaxis patching machine!
    but
    firaxis patching machine >> EA patching machine!

all the fanboys and the whinners can't do nothing but blablabla :cry: or bouhouhou :mad:

the only thing to do is: wait and see

if firaxis doesn't fix this buggy sweety civ4 then many of us won't buy further firaxis procucts... simple!
    :king:

6. kernok

kernok Warlord

yes yes yes indeed...

killing innocent people for fuel shouldn't also be allowed
    making his own son president in a democracy shouldn't aslo be allowed
    selling burgers to children to make them as fat as possible shouldn't be allowed
    etc... etc...

all of what we can call "intense business" shouldn't be allowed??

hum...
    yes yes YES indeed!!! :goodjob:

7. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

Ooh good! Another whiny thread! It's good that we have these types of threads because they are so constructive. Perhaps Firaxis had their patch sitting there and just forgot about it. I'm sure that seeing this thread will remind them to put the patch in the mail. Bravo!

8. JFLNYC

JFLNYC Producer

Other than late-game lag (even with the new NVIDIA fix), the game runs smoothly for me on huge maps, 12 civs. It helps that I've got 3 meg of RAM and a PC more or less devoted only to Civ4. Having said that, if I were in the position of those for whom the game won't run, or runs very poorly, I'd be very upset, too. Firaxis made sure the game was released by Q4 in time for the holidays and I suspect it's no coincidence that the 1.52 patch was released right before Christmas (on a weekend, IIRC).

Since then the silence from Firaxis about the next patch has been deafening. It's very easy for those of us who have enjoyed countless games to dismiss a thread like this as whining. But I think it's very justified frustration, especially since the word has been that the patch has been in beta testing for a looonnnggg time. I think it's fair to say that if Christmas were just around the corner and Firaxis didn't want to have to deal with numerous irate support request during Christmas week, the patch would have been given a much higher priority.

I, for one, fully support those who are complaining loudly about not having a patch just to get the game functioning, even though I'm not one of them. For those who don't want to read it, please just go to another thread.

9. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

the problem is when you are waiting for a game that finally gets patched to its intended features (read: SDK) for months and then the news you read about are instead talking of an expansion pack.
    It's cr@p like this that makes people come on the forum and ***** and whine, and honestly they have all rights and reasons to do so... the fanboys should open their eyes once and for all.. a complaint is not useful or useless, what sort of stupidity can this be ? A complaint is a complaint period.

10. SonicX

SonicX Emperor

If only Stardock made Civ IV :D

11. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I can understand where they're coming from, ultimately. I would be royally pissed off if my game was not working, too.

But at the same time - we can't have it both way. When the game originally came out with its bug, people complained about the completely unthorough quality testing - with good reason! The game had too many issues, missed some features we had been repeatedly promised, etc. It was a rush job to meet a certain release date, and it showed.

For good or for ill, this time around they're delaying instead of rushing. Given the kind of personel that would be involved in both job, this most likely has VERY LITTLE to do with the upcoming expansion (the expansion, given what we know it'll have, would primarily need graphic artists (new units, new leaderheads, etc) and scenario designers, with only limited coding support (and most of it on the XML side) ; the patch needs programers (on the python side) with only minimal support from the others. In other word, it's quite feasible to develop both an expansion and a patch simultaneously).

Personally, I think that's for the best - I'd much rather they release an outstanding patch two months late than an endless stream of patch that each fixes one or two issues and create one or two new ones because they're not thoroughly tested and tried.

The reason we read about X-Pack news and not about Patch news is that everyone knows already a patch is coming ; there won't be anything else to announce regarding it until it is actually released. The expansion, on the other hand, IS news - nobody had any idea that it was coming. I suspect now that we've been told that, we won't hear much more about the X-Pack for a few weeks at least - hopefully there'll be patch news before then.

Still, I can certainly understand some people's frustration over being unable to play the game.

12. neriana

neriana Warlord

Over a year after World of Warcraft was released: Arcane missiles is still bugged, many servers (including my main) regularly crash and lag, new dungeons are inevitably buggy, every patch Tuesday is a day the game is unplayable, game masters are notoriously spotty in their support...

Blizzard isn't any better than Firaxis. Better than EA, heck yes, EA is garbage when it comes to customer support.

Firaxis has already released two patches which have fixed most of the problems. The third is in QA at TakeTwo. This is the way the game industry works. The release was poor, but the follow-through has been above average.

13. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

World of warcraft still has a hell of a lot of server downtime compared to other mmorpgs.

Ever play final fantasy XI online? They have server maintenence only once maybe every month and people still complain about it. Not only that they dont have any hackers really (except the guy that hacked into my account and stole it, but thats another story). If you hack the game its very easy to get cought.

14. Bringa

Bringa King

I assume you mean WoW? Remember that you're paying monthly fees for WoW. If you're talking War3, well, take this from someone who was insanely active in the War3 community: there were known issues that existed through multiple patches, even after they'd been acknowledged and confirmed by Blizzard officials. Sure, Blizzard generally did a great job of making the patch development public, but this was VERY late in War3's product life. We're talking past-expansion, 1.15 on maybe.

15. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

People do know that Blizzard has made more games than WoW right? I love Blizzard but have no intention of ever joining WoW. I think Diablo Online would have been much more interesting. (Can you imagine the religious wars that would go on over that though? Just look at how it is with religion in Civ. :eek:) From what I understand WoW basically has the system of Diablo in it though.

Back on topic: They however, made Warcraft series and Diablo series which had great customer support and patch releases. Usually they have a patch ready by the time the game hits the shelf and the game is a piece of art even if you choose not to download the patch.

It makes no sense to compare a MMO to Civ4. Yeah, so alot of people play multiplayer Civ but that doesnt make it an MMO. Your games are not saved on a server somewhere. You just USE one while you play. A real 3-D world is made in an MMO that has to worry about alot more elements than Civ 4.

Now, if you want to compare Civ4 to any of Blizzard's other games (Warcraft or Diablo namely which were both online just like Civ) The patches from them have been ALOT more thorough and customer support beats the crap out of Civ4's lack thereof.

I think the only reason people pull up WoW when Blizzard is announced is because its the only product they have that is able to be picked at. Which isnt saying much because EVERY MMO can be picked at. Blizzard should buy Firaxis so you all can see what we Blizzard fans are talking about.

16. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Man i'm not whining because there isn't yet any patch, what really makes me angry is that this company explicitly treat me or other people as chicken that pay money for them and can be cheated as they want.CIV4 is really a great game probably one of the best i played but there is really no respect to me or other people launching a game which isn't complete (there are no excuses also if take 2 forced them), at 5-6 months from release date a lot of people have problems or can't yet run the game so games requirements were totally false.A patch was promised one or 2 month ago and nothing is yet released.At stardock for example in less than 2 months have been released 4 patches so i don't think a patch would require so much time.Instead of releasing the patch they unveil the new expansion and there are rumours that the patch will be released with the new xp.Now people and fanboys is this HONESTY????
    Don't you agree that this customer policy really favours piracy !!! I know it's illegal andnothing can justify it but if they cheats the customer............what they expect?

17. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.