still playing in 2020?

Shamira

Chieftain
Wondering if anyone still plays this game. I've played off and on throughout the years and finally settled on the more naval AI submod as for me naval stuff has always been important and I like the AI to work lol

Anyways I noticed an old sticky for an IRC server that may or may not be dead, not that I'm adverse to IRC, but I was curious first if anyone played at all. I also use discord some if that matters.

I like to have a bit of a roleplay spin on the game, it's not so much about straight up winning for me, but thinking of stories for the units and their exploits as a few become strong "heroes" (I like to play the Illians, the vampire people and Grigori the most I'd say) as hell slowly takes over the world. Kinda the same way I imagine narratives for dwarves in Dwarf Fortress if anyone is familiar with that game... if anyone is into fun over blindly just conquering and backstabbing everything that'd be cool.

Still playing, after all these years. I'm not very good, though, so I stick with Warlord level. Part of my problem is that my "story" doesn't always jive with the most effective strategy. Anyway, I've been playing whatever is the most recent version of MNAI since Kael stopped updating vanilla, but less than I a year ago I started also playing EMM. I try to give useful feedback for the modders of those two on the subforums.

I play.
most often Magister or AoE for the "extra" ... but sometimes EMM.

I play it from time to time. I play on the large world settings though and it takes, literally, weeks to play a game.

Sorry for the stupid question....when you guys mention AoE you are referring to Age of Empires?

AoE in this context refers to Ashes of Erebus, a modmod (modmodmod?) that was the continuation of Rise from Erebus or RifE, which in turn was based on the modmod Fall Further.

I also pretty much exclusively play Ashes of Erebus at this point, as I like the cumulative new content, plus the fact that it's being actively maintained and developed -- thank you, @black_imperator ! -- so bugs can be fixed and new ideas incorporated.

I used to play Wild Mana, up to version 8.34, but didn't like the changes that were made after it became Master of Mana, so abandoned that.

I used to fire up a game of Fall Further every now and then, specifically to play the Jotnar in their original implementation, but Fall Further hasn't been actively maintained or developed in years, so usually my games would end with a crash that couldn't be fixed.

Base FfH2 hasn't been worked on in years, so bugs are no longer being fixed.

AoE in this context refers to Ashes of Erebus, a modmod (modmodmod?) that was the continuation of Rise from Erebus or RifE, which in turn was based on the modmod Fall Further.

I also pretty much exclusively play Ashes of Erebus at this point, as I like the cumulative new content, plus the fact that it's being actively maintained and developed -- thank you, @black_imperator ! -- so bugs can be fixed and new ideas incorporated.

I used to play Wild Mana, up to version 8.34, but didn't like the changes that were made after it became Master of Mana, so abandoned that.

I used to fire up a game of Fall Further every now and then, specifically to play the Jotnar in their original implementation, but Fall Further hasn't been actively maintained or developed in years, so usually my games would end with a crash that couldn't be fixed.

Base FfH2 hasn't been worked on in years, so bugs are no longer being fixed.
Ah, I have good memory with Fall Further. It is good to see that AoE is still in active development. A pity it does not include MNAI though. I don't want play against a brain dead AI.

There was a late patch to base FfH2 that really messed up the AI: monster stacks of doom, evacuating troops from their own cities and retreating, no naval invasions. That naval bit was the reason More Naval AI started, since in regular BtS the AI uses navies pretty well. I never spent much time with MNAI, so don't know how well that all worked out.

Very occasionally, yes. I'm playing my own version with Turinturambar's AI and some other tweaks.

I still play it on occasion. I usually play with MagisterModmod, but I've experimented with Ashes of Erebus, Master of Mana, and a couple of other mods before.

I may take longish breaks but I always come back to it. The new civs just don't have mods anywhere on the level of this. I sometimes wish this mod was in the civ5 engine so we could've had the one unit per tile rule.

I don't think that FFH needs 1upt... but I do wish it had a more developed magic system.

Last edited:
I still play it. I even do modding for new units for it for people that do.

Top Bottom