Still Waters: Sign-Ups, OOC, and Discussion

Name: Yu Song
Work: Owner of Hokoan United Sports Club
Location: Kota Emas district (Though the football team itself is based in Hokoan district)
Ethnicity: Han
Languages: Hokkien, Mandarin, English
Place of birth: Xiamen, Fujian, PRC

A rich, spoiled only child from Xiamen, Yu's father was the CEO of a vast multinational company, which had originally been based around the selling of shoes, but was now also selling cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, foodstuffs, and several other types of products. Yu earned his first million simply by being born, though he moved with his family when he was 4 years old to Kota Emas district in Hokoan. His father helped to educate him about how to make money, and - following his father's death at the age of 22 - he used his inherited wealth to buy a local sports club, becoming especially interested in the football team, which had recently been crowned league champions at the time, and could be used as a platform to make a vast brand.

A bit more information on elections under the new constitution, for those considering campaigning/otherwise curious:

Under the new system, the main legislative body for the country will consist of a unicameral parliament. Each district will elect one official to represent them in the parliament, with the restrictions that the representative must be (1) a citizen, (2) a resident of that district, (3) at least 25 years of age, (4) have voted in at least one prior election, and (5) if male, have completed their military service. Additionally, 25% of parliament will be elected not from the districts, but from a national pool of military-approved candidates.

Currently, this breaks down as follows:
Spoiler :
13 MPs for HOKOAN/福灣
8 MPs for CÒENGDÓU/長島
5 MPs for MAHANAVALAYA
8 MPs for MAHAGNI
5 MPs for HÁISAI/海西
3 MPs for TANAHWANGI
2 MPs for ARUNUSA
3 MPs for CHHINTÓ/青島
(47 MPs across all districts)
16 MPs from national candidates
(63 MPs total)

International criticism of the policy targets the prior-voting policy, seen as a continuation of policies which have long divided many minority ethnic groups and

In addition to Parliament, there is also a nation-wide election for the Prime Minister. In addition to the above requirements, the PM must have been born in the country, a policy seen by most as specifically aimed at disqualifying opposition leader Olivia Chua.

Following the elections, the Prime Minister will appoint their cabinet - subject to Parliamentary approval - according to the same process as the old constitution, which will be comprised of the Ministers of the following Ministries:
Spoiler :
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Science
Ministry of Health
Ministry of Intelligence
Ministry of National Development
Ministry of Culture
Ministry of Finance
Ministry of Education
Ministry of the Environment
Ministry of Justice

The various members of the Cabinet act as the executive heads of their various departments and usually wield significant political influence, but are not directly involved in the legislative process beyond advisory roles. Restrictions on their appointment are officially more lax - they need only be permanent residents of the islands over the age of 25, and have completed any military service obligations they may have had. In practice, past cabinets have largely consisted of more experienced MPs and high-ranking military officials, with some notable exceptions like Dr. Tan.

In gameplay terms, players can campaign eligible characters for any of the elected positions (MP or Prime Minister), or otherwise involve themselves in the electoral process - including PMing me their private votes - throughout the first update cycle, which will be considered to conclude on election night (orders will be submissible for events to occur on or in the immediate aftermath of elections). The second cycle will then open with the announcement of elected positions - assuming the country successfully held elections to begin with - and the new PM will be able to nominate NPCs at that point.

At least at first, I will hold off on creating NPC candidates for PM in order to allow players first priority. MPs and Cabinet members not held by PCs will likely be left as generic NPCs identified by party, except in unique cases where the character becomes more relevant.

For those who didn't get a message (which means either you're all set or I didn't know you were interested), target launch for the game is by Tuesday.

Once the game launches, I would like to use that thread for just IC, and this one for additional sign-ups and OOC

Tingchiu Killings Baffles Police
(An Extract from the a paper)

...another body of a woman was found today at approximately 7:30 AM today at Tingchiu district, Hokoan. While the police were swift in securing the scene, witnesses reported that the body of the woman was bound with what appeared to be her own articles of clothing, similar to four other murders....

Extract from a News Report

The murderer, or murderers, remains at large despite a massive dragnet, in which blue pickup trucks, the type described by a witness, was halted all day long by the police force in the surrounding area.

The victims, 5 women whose age ranged from 17 to 48, have each been bound by articles of their own clothing and subsequently strangled by their own pantyhose or socks...

The very randomness of the murders have shaken the normally upbeat neighborhood of Tingchiu. School officials in the are have taken to extra emergency measures such as locking doors, taking extra attendance, and canceling outdoor activities.....

Police have declined to issue any comments, but assured the media that every possible avenue of investigation were being pursued in order to safeguard the women of Tingchiu.

.....................................................................................

Police Internal Memo:

The unknown suspect is believed to be a Han male of age 20-45, weighing at 160-175 pounds.

Witnesses have reported seeing a blue pickup truck with a man who matched the above description racing away from a scene of the crime in the morning.

The unsub's MO appears to be to overpower woman, bind them in their own articles of clothing, and subsequently constrict their windpipe with socks or pantyhose before leaving them for dead.

Current number of suspects: 23,528.

Name: Srinivasa Anand
Rank: Detective Chief Inspector, Nityapradesh Police Department
Place of Birth: Diemensaranya
Religion: Christian, Huguenot
Current Location: Diemensaranya
Languages: Tamil, French, Malay and English
Tamil and French were both used interchangeably in his village and so he fluently speak both as a native speaker. Malay and English were taught at school and he has frequently used both in his career as a police officer and thus is near fluent in both. He has a reasonable grasp of various other languages used on the islands.

Mandatory Military Service: The Navy
He spend his time aboard light patrol craft patrolling the coasts. He also undertook training in diving and undersea salvage operations.
Police Career:
Started off as a police officer in Diemensaranya but soon moved to Nityapradesh following a government initiative for more ethnic Tamils in the Mahagni police force. He worked his way up the ranks and became a successful DCI.
He is currently back at home on Paternity leave

Game will launch tomorrow as promised. As of right now, players with applications I consider complete are:
Robert
Arya
NC
WIM
Thomas
Seon
Nuke
SK

Players with incomplete applications are:
Civ'ed
Defacto
Absoluti (yes I'm aware you can't do it yet, don't worry)

You all - and anyone else who has interest - should try to finish up a character before I draft up the OP for the game thread tomorrow. If you're a bit late, I'll still include you, of course.

And to anyone else thinking about this but who can't/isn't joining right now (Absoluti I know of already) - there's no penalty for joining late, especially if it's prior to the end of this update cycle. I'll include you as soon as I have your sign-ups; the main thing you miss out on is shaping future updates, and your initial update might be a bit less detailed for you than it is for others.

OOC: Teaser Post regarding murders in Tingchiu will be rewritten shortly to reflect change in setting to Caoguang.

Lianto Jenguang
Place of Birth: Tingchiu
Current Location: Cao Guang
Religion: Christian
Languages: Chinese, Malay, Tamil, and English

Mandatory Military Service: Army, Special Forces

Police Career; Started off as a police officer in Tingchiu and rose to the rank of First Police Inspector. Currently located in Caoguang after the local police force reported being overwhelmed by recent string of murders that shook the normally peaceful community. Dispatched to the region by the police commissioner, Lianto brings with him knowledge and training in forensics and scientific investigation in order to bring the case to a close.

Name: Kalpana Reddy, MP for Aparaprastha
Ethnicity: Tamil
Work: Hokoan
Home: Aparaprastha
Languages: English, Tamil

The daughter of an Indian curry house owner in the heart of Aparaprastha, Reddy, as a child, was an outstanding student. Thanks to a rare scholarship, she was able to attend university at King's College London. Returning home after about half a decade in the United Kingdom, she took on a role as a history professor at a university. But she also became drawn into community leadership affairs, becoming a somewhat outspoken critic of the Mahagni independence movement, calling for moderation. This, more than anything, was what perhaps led the military to favour her when she ran for MP of her home district.

Name: Bei Lin Huang
Ethnicity: Mandarin
Languages: Mandarin, English

A legendary, highly popular pop idol, known as "Lin Lin". Her infectious beats and dance moves have captivated the populace and the attention of the Ministry of Culture. Her performance in a drama about the Indonesian Emergency captivated the nation, and despite her Chinese origin, she helped encourage nationalist sentiments. Now, Lin Lin's face is plastered on adverts across the nation on billboards and on the television (some say you can't go 15 seconds without seeing her face). Outside of her professional life, Lin Lin enjoys a highly luxurious lifestyle, subsidized by the government and with her investments coming in she is comparable in wealth to elite American celebrities

The IC game thread is now live. It will take some time for me to finish writing the update - I will post here when I'm done - but for now, you can go ahead and make your subscription posts/check in. If you make a subscription post, please edit it out and update it with your first RP once you are writing it. Ideally, everything in that thread should be in-universe - we'll see how long I feel that way, but for now, direct in-universe writings (whether they be IC RP or other pieces of in-universe content you create) there, and anything OOC here.

I'll clarify other details, like what exactly I'm expecting, once the update is finished

So I've finished the bulk of the update now. I want a break, so I'll finish that last section later, but it's probably going to be mostly elections stuff and definitely all national, so if you don't care about that, I wouldn't worry too much. The OP is just going to be an overview; I'll let you know when it's finished, but it's more targeted at new players, so won't tell those of you participating now anything new.

A couple things that might be vague - the dates listed are all in-universe. This is probably evident after a little bit, but basically, no, March 26th is not when orders are due, you'll be very very late if you wait that long.

Second, your posts have to be in-universe, but not necessarily from your character's perspective. You're still playing as "your" character (and I highly encourage collaboration), but you can switch up your style of writing and presenting information so long as you don't contradict existing information. Posts don't even necessarily need to move chronologically from Feb 8 to March 26, though it might make everything much easier on people.

Third, when you post in thread - and you have to post in thread - you can't BS what's happening. You can have a character lie or be confused, you can keep stuff secret and PM me (or other players, if that's what the situation allows), but nothing that explicitly happens can be fictional in the sense that you send me a PM to 'override' it.

Other than that, post now (or when I get the third part of the update and the OP up later tn, if you feel the need) and have fun. Any questions, commentaries, or new sign-ups should go here

Update is now completed.

I'm tentatively going to put the conclusion for the first cycle at 4:00 PM EST on Sunday, January 17. Generally speaking you'll have more time than that, but I have that Monday off and I think it's a good idea to get the ball rolling with the first update.

Reminder that you must post at least once in the in-universe thread during this time, regardless of PM communications, and that all questions or other OOC commentary (as well as new sign-ups, all are welcome!) should come here for the time being.

EDIT: For those who are interested, I will also respond in-character to certain RP if you want some NPCs involved and answer questions about NPCs and/or other things if you want to pursue some more elaborate RP within these plotlines for yourselves and need help/guidance/to actually progress your plot information. Just let me know.

If it's alright I'd like to join. Just my timing to find the game literally the day after you posted first update... :rolleyes:

Name: Méi Lín
Home district: Tìngchiu
Work: Retired, worked as a secretary at a post office up until her retirement 30 years ago.
Family: Lín has a granddaughter, Méi Xiùlán, who is 38 years old and lives in Singapore with a husband and two children. No living family remains in Hokoan and the granddaughter rarely ever comes to visit.

Méi Lín is an elderly Chinese woman who has lived in the same apartment in the Tìngchiu district pretty much her whole life. Her interests include gardening on her balcony, practising tai chi in the Hiongsoa park every morning, and cooking delicious seafood meals. She also enjoys spending her days in the Tìngchiu markets eavesdropping on people, and in her home neighbourhood she is mostly known as the lively old lady who regularly invites neighbours in for dinner because she always cook too much for only one person to eat. Dinner guests bring conversations with them, and there is nothing Lín enjoys more than gossip and sharing life stories with other people - whether they be hers or someone else's doesn't really matter.

No worries, Gurra, I'd love to have you. You're all set to go - the only thing you really lose out on is getting your own subplot in this update.

Ordinarily I'd wait and give a one-week notice, but since I will be completely out of contact from (next) Friday until after orders are due, a reminder today.

If you're running for an elected position, you also need to post that by Wednesday.

Reminders that:
Political candidacies are due Wednesday
Orders are due Sunday at 4:00 PM EST
I will be out of contact from Friday until after orders lock

Please don't make me PM you all directly

Come on guys, I don't want to be the only one posting :c

At the moment as an independent candidate

Top Bottom