Stone watchtower and others.

civfan613

Warlord
The way they (probably) should work (and do in 99% times):
1. Build a tower, get 1 tile more of owned territory.
2. Build a resource improvement to replace the tower, still keep owning the tile.
Now, goes the GLITCH:
1. *the same*.
2. Building an improvement removes the ownership from that tile.
3. Building yet another tower on top, does NOT give you the tile ownership back.
I'm stuck with several "ambiguous" tiles that have towers, yet I don't own them.
WHAT exactly is the error?
I'm playing the latest GEM.
(I don't think the save file would help, cause I have different results for similar tiles...)

I... don't know. I'm not quite sure where units moving onto fort improvements and thus are supposed to capture the territory is located in the code. I'll look around when I can.

There's a flaw in your 'supposed to work like this' logic. If the tower isn't there no longer is there a claim to the plot either.

One thing I've found a little frustrating is the ambiguity in the help texts on various fort improvements. I'm no longer sure what establishes the canal effect, what gives culture when units are staffed there, a whole number of effects that as a player I'm looking at the improvements and going :dunno:.

Yeah, I remember using Forts to capture land in a game a played a few months ago, and I had to use useless plots to build them on, just like you said.
But when I saw the FACTUAL way the Towers work - I thought that's how it HAS to work...
Also, I'd appreciate if I could SEE that 'tower xp' somehow by mouse-over.
I don't, thus I still can't figure out how this type of improvements works at all.

Also, and this is really OLD, I've seen many times that when you RAZED a nearby civ, you got some of their territory under your control - but this has a limited distance from your own territory.
This is also extremely confusing, since I don't get WHY it happened.

Yeah, I remember using Forts to capture land in a game a played a few months ago, and I had to use useless plots to build them on, just like you said.
But when I saw the FACTUAL way the Towers work - I thought that's how it HAS to work...
Also, I'd appreciate if I could SEE that 'tower xp' somehow by mouse-over.
I don't, thus I still can't figure out how this type of improvements works at all.

I should remove the towers. They were an experiment with Super Forts in v34 that obviously does not work. I am still not sure when I will be back at my modding computer to do it.

Also, and this is really OLD, I've seen many times that when you RAZED a nearby civ, you got some of their territory under your control - but this has a limited distance from your own territory.
This is also extremely confusing, since I don't get WHY it happened.

Part of the way the fixed borders code changed how plot influence works I think.

Influence Driven War bug option I think makes it so that with each combat victory the plot of battle and plots around it gain some of your cultural influence. That often leads to plots being culturally claimed in areas around major wars but it seems to come off a little funny in combination with realistic culture spread.

I've seen countless 'culture influence' battle-outcome messages, but never understood any... :lol:

Top Bottom