1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop aging at the cost of having no children - would you do it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by caketastydelish, Jun 12, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Let's say at some point they find a cure for aging. Notice I said "cure for aging", not "live forever" because there are still a million ways you can die unreleated to old age. But even then, they would probably insist on sterilizing you to prevent overpopulation. Would you agree to do such a thing? Personally, I would.

2. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I take it this question is for the younger folks, as I already have kids, but not planning on having more, so I wouldn't have a problem being sterilized at this point (assuming you are talking of something like a vasectomy and not castration)

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator

In a heartbeat. I detest children.

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

Ditto. Economic drain as well - less time and cash for myself. Genetics wise, my family is 300 strong, and counting. The line is secure. Ya don't need me.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I would take the cure and adopt.

Hygro likes this.
  6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

In a heartbeat. I detest getting older.

I love kids. I have three kids, none of whom are mine. There's an army of kids out there, hoping for parents,

7. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Cut my lifespan down to 40 or 50 and you've got a deal.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Win-win for me because I am terrified of the moral and ethical burden of creating life

9. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Having children was never in my plans anyways. But I guess this depends on whether the cure for aging would do anything for the PD.

El_Machinae likes this.
  10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Technically it wont be regulated in such a logical and worldwide way, maybe for a country like China, or India I could see these conditions.
    I think it would be more like a law regulating this first, I mean a lot of people are dying from things like car accidents, work accidents, drug overdose, wars and so on. The government would likely limit the number of new children per year and sell these licenses to the general public, limit one per couple.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

I cut the cords after two without any incentive.

12. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Can I keep the one I already have?

I would certainly stop aging at the cost of having more kids.

13. Peuri

Peuri Game

No, I wouldn't do it. Eternal life would eventually be torture. When I was 20 I would have done it ASAP, but that was when everything was new and exciting. Now ten years later life is already becoming confusing, repetitive and boring. The things that used to give me joy, like playing video games etc., feel like a total waste. All novelty will eventually peter out. That's why I also detest the idea of a bodily Heaven. Eternal life would eventually always become Hell, if we remain human. If we don't remain human, how could I possibly know what it would be like to be a non-human entity?

Would it even be possible for our bodies to "live forever"? What would it do to our brains? Is there a limit to long term memory etc.? What would it mean for politics? People with lesser means would eventually die out because of life style diseases, and we'd be left with the upper and middle classes? Wealth would just keep accumulating to the very very top (not that it's not already doing so)? I'm afraid a cure for aging only would give you maybe another 100 years max before you develop some malignant tumor or get parkinson's disease or what ever. Like all our inventions, especially of this magnitude, this is bound to have complex unintended consequences.

If I had to live for 200 more years, before I die accidentally in a car crash or what ever, count me out. I'd much rather experience having created life, than having to be stuck with me for over a century, lol.

14. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

This makes you sound like a vain, selfish and generally miserable person.

ulyssesSgrant likes this.
  15. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

No, that comment does for you though

16. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Yes, standing up for children makes me a miserable person...

And LM expressing hatred towards the most innocent and vulnerable members of society while also expressing a willingness to sacrifice everything just to maintain a youthful appearance really showcases her altruism and selflessness, right?

17. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

It's not much of a sacrifice if you don't like them though is it

kind of more like a win-win

18. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Will you really discuss such a fantasy topic in all seriousness now? geez..
    Oh and messing with nature like that could result in Skynet, and Arni will be too old to save us now.

Nials and Commodore like this.
  19. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

I want neither eternal life nor do I feel good about breeding. chances are however I'll do both once they're in my reach, because I'm a shellfish person. one can always adopt, so I think the OP is sort of a vanity question: "is your own genetic lineage that important to ya?" and unless you're the last male from a remote amazonian tribe I tend to say "no, that's some spooky stuff I don't want to get into".

yes, it would indeed. maybe faster than people tend to think.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  20. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

Wasn't planning on birthing children of my own, that's not to say I want to stay this age until I'm brutally murdered.

But, I'm probably still young enough to be able to adapt to the technological advancements of the future. I'd prefer to live asocietally, though (now and forever).