Stop Quitting Early!

bonafide11

Worker
I got the game today, been looking forward to it for a long time. I've played three multiplayer games now on Xbox Live, and each time the same thing happens. We start with four players, first guy quits right away, second guy quits a little later, then it's down to me and one other guy and he quits as soon as I get to the medieval age. It's so annoying! Seriously, I get further in the demo than I do in the real game on multiplayer. I'm 3-0 now but I haven't gotten anywhere in the game because everyone always quits, then the game just ends. Don't start the game if you don't have a few hours to spare to play it! This isn't going to be too exciting of a multiplayer experience if nobody is willing to play the game for more than an hour anyway.

If any non-quitters want to play, my Xbox Live screen name: emac fenian

I have a hard time believing that all 12 people who've quit on me today were just disconnected when I haven't been disconnected once... And if they are disconnected, why don't they bother trying to reconnect and rejoin the game?

People do quit in all sorts of games a lot.

It's a fact of life. The world is full of weak people. If situations aren't optimal for them, they turn tail and run rather than facing the challenge and continuing forward to completion of their commitment. Their word means nothing to them and they are without honor.

The playing (and leaving) of a video game is just an extension of themselves.

:D

You can't rejoin a ranked game you left. Guess you'll have to play your fellow Civ Fanatics. Check the 360 gamertag list.

My first game in SP down, but you gotta realize, some people may try to fit a game in, but things may have come up, YES to all twelve people, you just might be lucky.

I've been booted twice tonight out of 3 games.

I find that it freezes up a good amount when advisors pop up and you tell them to buzz off too quickly.

I either get frozen up online, or I get first everytime. The game is easy against guys who aren't Civ Fanatics.

was beating the number1 player on head2head earlier today, well into victory and i get the lovely disconnection of doom!

Yeah the game freezes with me often, never disconnected, but i after 10-20 minutes of waiting, i have no other choice than quit. And i can play all other games just fine so it has something to do with the game.

civ online has always gad problems with quiters in open games. thats why serious players join ladders. trust me civ 3 and civ 4 online players laugh at open games. ladder players are usually ten times better too. I'm going to be playing civ rev online soon, thugh the pc games are way better.

Happens to me too, was in a team game with a friend, we took out one of them early after we had bottled him up for a bit, about a turn later his friend quit. :(

I just had one of the most intense games ever end by a player quitting early. I just started the World Bank when he declared war on me, and he had more advanced units than me. He attacked me with bombers and I just had tons of Riflemen in my cities. I was the Zulu, so I took advantage of the cheap Riflemen bonus and expected I could hold off attacks by outnumbering him. My stacks of riflemen slowed him down enough that I was able to start producing Modern Infantry, but he managed to take a couple cities. Then he rolled up to my capitol where I was building the World Bank, and I had a ton of units there, but I was still nervous that he'd be able to take it. So there's about two turns until I finish the World Bank, and he's standing next to my capitol with a stack of bombers. He attacks once or twice, and apparently gets frustrated by my Riflemen finally killing one of his bombers, and then he just QUITS!

It was ridiculous! It was so intense -- I'm a couple turns away from completing the World Bank, and he's a couple turns away from taking my capitol, which would have been near impossible for me to overcome. And then he just quits! I win a Domination victory instead of the Economic victory I was so close to, but I was just stunned this guy wasted his time playing the game for that long only to quit at the most crucial moment ever!

Welcome the world of multiplayer gaming.

The problem is especially bad in strat games because 1) the time they take to setup, 2) the time they take to play, and 3) the pacing combined with positive feedback looping makes it 'obvious' when one is going to lose.

Just chalk up the quits as wins and be happy. It really is silly to expect your opponent to stay logged into a game that is beyond reach. That's why most RTS's allow a user to resign and flash the GG.

Even among my friendly CIV Iv PiTBoss games, as soon as someone becomes overly dominant, it is usually time to restart rather than suffering along for dozens of turns just so someone can get the satisfaction of seeing the "you win" message.

I've lost 2 games, and won 13. And I have a losing record thanks to freezing.

It freezes less though when I let the science discovery animation pop up before I click ok. I wish I could turn that annoying shtuff off.

the longer the game is out the more people will play multiplayer. that means more didcated players who will play the whole game. just give it a few weeks

Just chalk up the quits as wins and be happy. It really is silly to expect your opponent to stay logged into a game that is beyond reach. That's why most RTS's allow a user to resign and flash the GG.

I completely disagree with this because 95% of the time people quit it's way too early for the game to be "beyond reach" for them and just because one thing goes wrong in Civ Rev does not mean the game is over. This game is pretty easy to come from behind in and easy to overcome early problems you encounter. If people were quitting after losing their capitol, it'd be one thing, but they're quitting ten turns in the game when it is far from being decided. There is just about no excuse for quitting a game before AD.

Top Bottom