1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the bickering kids

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Democracy Game II' started by Hyronymus, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Can we please stop the bickering. I'm literally about to blow a fuse because some of you find it more interesting to achieve "their truth" at any cost.

For crying out loud, there is an institute that deals with arguments about instructions and it's called the Judiciary. If you feel wronged or betrayed or whatever you turn to the Judiciary. You then calmly, and clearly, express your feelings and wait for the Judiciary to rule.

Don't start bickering, whining or any other childish behaviour to get "your truth".

2. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I apologize to you, and to you only, as it is your turnchat.

We have been cheated out of a vote, and that is not acceptable. I support what you stand for, but sometimes giving strong resistance is critical in making people think twice before they do the same transgression again.

Obviously one side was not respected, which is why this case happened.

3. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Strong resistance has nothing to do with hoping to get your way by acting like a child. A good argument that's what we need but I fear everyone thinks an argument equals a fight.

4. Provolution

It all depends. Some arguments are quite civic, but when someone portrays a solution as the only one, and other options as "useless", "hopeless" and "wasteful" and in general envision other venues of thought as redundant, ******** and less worth, we get situations like this. As long as fatalism becomes the accepted line of thought, only having one way as portrayed by one person, then the situation is ripe for heavy and "not-so-good" argumentation.

I tend to be more one-sided myself, when the other side portrays mine as "useless" and generally out of the question. I learnt my lesson last term, and hope the lesson spreads. The "fighting" you point out, is over the instinctive response over that the momentum was snatched out of someones hands when they thought they managed to usurp the outcome from the questionable poll.

I hope this will help around more structured discussions and polls to avoid this mess. If properly organized, this would run smooth as a machine.

5. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

If you want the bickering to stop then try acting like a responsible adult and listening to the concerns of the others who are playing this game with you. If we had officials that did that instead of blindly trying to force their will onto us then their would be less bickering.

6. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

How the hell do those 2 hings relate to each other? I want to listen but the noise makes it hard for me to hear what's being said. All I want is people to move away from their battlegrounds and meet at the dinner table to talk things over, in a reasonable way.

7. Provolution

The problem is when someone consider Taco Bell or McDonald their dinner table, as they are more into discussions swallowing fast-food, where others prefer a longer conversation on a topic in the Dining Hall with Fillet Mignon, not talking with their mouth full of food. How to strike the middleground here?

There is noise, as there is a propaganda machine that has been stopping everything from serfdom to astronomy and now engineering.

Until we get a culture of pros and cons in discussions, this will go on.
    Some here wildly exaggerate their view as the best. I learnt my lesson last term with the German Longbowman, a mistake I am not doing again, and hope others begin to have more reflected and positive views of others.

But, it is hard to begin that, when you are ignored, rebutted and generally told to shut up. I will try to listen the other way, but with one-sided argumentation and officers covering for each other, that is hard to do.

8. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: The OP's message is clear. STOP THE BICKERING. And I agree with that.
    Then why I see exactly the opposite in this thread ??

And no, Provolution - it will not go on. There is room for the pros and the cons, but there is no room for childish bickering. And yes - that is hard to do. But if it can't be done without bickering it's not to be done.

Members - if you see impolite or bickering posts, use the report-a-post button. That's what it is for.

Regards,
    Rik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.