1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping a Build

Discussion in 'CivRev - General Discussions' started by Im_An_Eejit, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Im_An_Eejit

Im_An_Eejit Chieftain

I've played this game a lot over the past month and a half, and iv'e become pretty godam good at it lol. BUT there is one thing that bugs me. How do i stop building things in my cities. By the modern era i've basically built every building in all my cities. And when i begin to build armies. It wont stop lol. And in MP i find that i have to many units to cope with :mad: And every turn my cities produce about 3 more armies worth of units. Its horrible. Especially when i have a great leader which allows me to upgrade the units, and i dont have enough time to select strategically or thoughtfully.
    My method atm is that I usually build the same wonder in every city. And when the build is finished in one it cancels all other builds. But there must be a simpler way of preventing unit production..

Anyone able to help?

2. ShakyDave

ShakyDave Chieftain

no help here...

But maybe a fix that would alow you to produce beakers, culture or gold as a production ?

Or maybe manage your city to have no production or a very low production. This again uses up valuable time. 2 minutes flies by quickly with 4 or more cities to monitor.:D

3. InFeRnOgTiTaN

InFeRnOgTiTaN Chieftain

Building culture or research would be a nice option to have, and one that fits in easily (you can in Civ IV).

However, I have a feeling it was left out for balancing reasons (I find it pretty easy to get a cultural victory already, for instance).

Maybe they'll tweak it and put it in, or put an option to halt production or automatically garrison units.

4. NikNak

NikNak Warlord

After you finish a building or wonder, you can exit out of the City screen without choosing a new item to produce. This leaves your city building nothing at all.

5. eddiexflatts

eddiexflatts Chieftain

I know exactly what you mean, in come cases i have had like 15 tank units defending one city lol.
    An option is to R3 the unit and disband them for a little gold i think you get like £200 for a tank so im assuming you could get £600 for a tank army.
    So you could still make money.
    Hope this helps.
    Eddie:king:

6. Softnum

Softnum Warlord

How have you gotten to this point, and yet not won yet?

Is one of the AIs at war with you? You could just run wave after wave of troops at them.

7. ShakyDave

ShakyDave Chieftain

Will this stil produce hammers for future build?
    My guess is no.:confused:

8. JimKazmire

JimKazmire Chieftain

True, the downside being that your city screen will pop up prompting you to build at the beginning of EVERY turn for all cities not currently building, still very annoying.

And no, it wont produce excess hammers.

9. ShakyDave

ShakyDave Chieftain

Excellent!!!!:goodjob:

I'll try this one for sure.

Thx

10. Im_An_Eejit

Im_An_Eejit Chieftain

I was in a MP match yesterday and i could have one any victory. But it was with my mates and i was havin fun letting them squirm. NikNak, thats what i do anyway. But like Jimkarzmire said, i would still be getting prompted every term to build something.

I was just asking to see if there was a way to halt production ( a button , option etc. )
    but looks like theres not. Great game but im afraid i'll have to add it to my ever growing wish list pile for Civ Rev.

11. NikNak

NikNak Warlord

Yeah, it's definitely not the best solution. It's just a workaround.

The best soltution would be to patch in a "Build Nothing" option. I guess they're worried about people accidentally hitting that then forgetting to ever build anything in that city because the prompt never comes up again.

12. InFeRnOgTiTaN

InFeRnOgTiTaN Chieftain

If people hit that and don't remember or wonder why that city never comes up again, I'd be wondering why they're playing Civ at all and tell them to go play Halo :lol:

13. rev063

rev063 Chieftain

Just choose a wonder (any wonder) to build. This stores your hammers for when you change your mind later.

14. jayeffaar

jayeffaar Warlord

That assumes there are wonders left to build. Towards the end of the game, that's not usually the case, except for the wonders that would make him win (which he was apparently trying to avoid at the time).

15. Reed

Reed Chieftain

Actually, yes it will. They keep adding up, its like building most of a wonder and then switching to something cheap and getting oh, Riflemen (x20) the next turn. Of course, it takes the same number of turns to produce those 20 units, but then it gives you some flexibility in a pinch I guess.

I usually just spam fighters, bombers, and battleships in the late game. It's very handy to control the seas and skies.

16. Im_An_Eejit

Im_An_Eejit Chieftain

Yeh but in a MP match with only 60 second turns. I cant afford, no actually i cant be arsed to mess around with excess units which would never leave my cities because by then i know where everything is.

I've just reverted into making ridiculous numbers of spies. They amuse me by demolishing about 6-10 buildings in a turn lol in my mates capitals.
    Or i just kidnap the great person. And just sell it for 15 gold lol.

So i'm guessing the answer to my question is no?

17. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

This game need the ability to produce wealth, seriously. I mean, that would help a lot with the World Bank victory, but i don't the the AI's will do it, leaving the player at an advantage.

18. InFeRnOgTiTaN

InFeRnOgTiTaN Chieftain

^ I agree. I haven't dedicated myself to it yet, but the Economic Victory seems to be the most difficult to achieve.

19. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

While the easiest is probably Cultural. I enjoy kidnapping Great Persons a lot.

20. InFeRnOgTiTaN

InFeRnOgTiTaN Chieftain

^ Cultural is almost too easy I find.

I'd like to see some balance there. Make Cultural a bit more difficult (preferably by making the AIs smarter - i.e., use spies to kidnap GPs, etc.) and make Economic easier (such as by having the option to produce wealth once you get Banking or something)