Stopping a Space Race?

Callonia

Deity
How exactly does one stop a space race in Brave new World?

The guy who's building the space ship must have his capital conquered to lose all the spaceship parts? Right? So all i have to do is sack his capital and keep it out of his hands then i won't have any worries unless he start a brand new spaceship on his new capital?

Because if this works, this will be my first real shot at winning on King difficulty..

Let me give you pictures so that you'll have a good idea of what i'm up against.

I started on this immediately when I saw that China completed SS Booster. I'm going to DOW this turn Because enough of massing up when China finished four parts so far. 3 SS boosters and one Engine.

Yes this is my fleet I assembled in a HUGE HURRY in space of 30 turns all the way from my homeland in the south as you can see in the minimap so you'll see the path they all took. But with the first wave taht arrived, also had a infantry/settler along which fortunately found a island occupied by barbarians which surrendered to us instantaneously and we set up a harbor city of Luthica. It's location couldn't be any better XD

As I was in process of transferring every single ship that I built in a hurry every single city state on the path to Luthica Island. . . became allies out of fear of being targeted by me including a commie chinese city state ally of Florence promptly switched sides from China to autocratic germany. And bestest of all, every single militaristic city state on the path teleports their reinforcements to Luthica island. And first one already arrived, a regular tank :lol:

And.. there's an Airport on Luthica island connected to my capital so panzers is being built in the heartland of my empire and sent to capital to be airlifted to Luthica what you see in screenshot is the first three out of 20 panzers I got ready to go already.

Spoiler :

And the early scouting from when my Dessys was Ironclads.. I have confirmed that China have at least two major fleets waiting for me. First one is CAF which means combined arms fleet which consists of Battleships, dessys, subs, carriers, airplanes, and transports.

Second one is BBF which's all Battleship fleet.

Both fleets total number about 20-30 ships.

Spoiler :

This is the capital of Chinese commies, I want it burnt to the ground for threatening my first possible KING win.
Spoiler :

And for some people that really like demographics..
Spoiler :

30 turns ago i was at 300k, I now at 522k and Chinese at 562k.
I expect this war to be bloody, I won't be surprised if 3/4 of my fleet is gone but with the capital in my hands.

Just to be sure.. taking the capital will destroy the chinese spaceship right? I'm very unfamiliar with stopping the spaceship race. :confused:

This is my 2nd time attempting this kind of thing, I wasn't sure the first time.. It was long time ago I remember annihilating all of Maya on prince difficulty because I don't know the rules.

Thank you for your time.

Oh .... Just a minor thing..
Spoiler :
In this map atm, Hiawatha is torn apart completely by revolutions, he picked autocracy then swithced to freedom then order then autocracy and is still in revolts and rebels is still waging war on his lands from renaissance era to atomic era and he's still fighting the rebels xD It warms my cold heart to watch hiawatha suffer for all the times I suffered under his tyranny in gods n kings.

Just to be sure.. taking the capital will destroy the chinese spaceship right? I'm very unfamiliar with stopping the spaceship race. :confused:

NO, it does not!

This is a frequent misconception. Taking their capital does NOT destroy their spaceship. The spaceship moves, by magic, to the new capital.

What you need to do is nuke the capital into uselessness, pillage the surrounding tiles, and surround the city with an army. But don't take it! They will need to get the rest of the parts into that city, and if they can't do that, then they can't win. (Unless those spaceship parts can be airlifted in now, then this doesn't work.)

Or destroy so much of their empire that they are unable to research the needed techsand build the parts before you win by whatever way you plan to. Or destroy them utterly; that's always fun.

NO, it does not!

This is a frequest misconception. Taking their capitol does NOT destroy their spaceship. The spaceship moves, by magic, to the new capital.

SERIOUSLY!?

OK I'll raze every single chinese city on the way to the capital then....

Eitherway, Chinese's capital, I want it in my hands and I will hit his production centers so hard.

A frequent misconception that probably exists because it used to be true in the earlier incarnations of Civ.

I seriously don't understand why they went through all the trouble to make culture victory less like "waiting victory" while space victory is still exactly that. Culture, diplomatic and domination victories force one to adapt if another civ is pursuing it as well - science victory is still just "do the same, except faster than them".

A frequent misconception that probably exists because it used to be true in the earlier incarnations of Civ.

I seriously don't understand why they went through all the trouble to make culture victory less like "waiting victory" while space victory is still exactly that. Culture, diplomatic and domination victories force one to adapt if another civ is pursuing it as well - science victory is still just "do the same, except faster than them".

So you just have to be lucky and intercept the spaceship parts before they reach the capital? Yikes.

Man I'm so glad i asked in this thread.. I had no clue that spaceships is immortal in civ 5 >< I guess I will turn off space victory next time i play because indestructible spaceships is stupid especially when the only recourse in civ 5 to stop one is to surround the capital and destroy the rest of space race civ's empire then kill the capital last.

Something tells me that there will be alot of napalm.. yes.. lots of napalm in chinese cities.

Plan is Baoding, Haerbin, and Chongqing I think will need to be controlled for me to have a relatively clear path to chinese capital. All others is unimportant.

Loved this post and your pictures! Good Luck on your first King Victory....just be careful with China, they have 10-12ish tech lead on you and that mean they could very well have Air Capabilities, and it looks like you do not have the defensive or offensive capability to counter them. Tear em up tho!

Loved this post and your pictures! Good Luck on your first King Victory....just be careful with China, they have 10-12ish tech lead on you and that mean they could very well have Air Capabilities, and it looks like you do not have the defensive or offensive capability to counter them. Tear em up tho!

That's right, I don't even have a single Triplane :( They have Jet fighters I think and bombers of all kinds.

I do have AA capability in form of Dessys. XD Its better than "nothing" lol.

Eitherway, My attempt to stop china space victory starts now.

I do have AA capability in form of Dessys. XD Its better than "nothing" lol.

Just barely - at least it forces (or encourages) them to use the fighters for sweeps instead of bombings.

Quick, unrelated, question, would you mind sharing the map that you're using? It looks quite nice, and I'd like very much to play it one of these days.

Hi I just won my 1st domination victory on King, Pangea......very similiar to your game.

I was competing against a civ that was going to win a space race, what I did was declare war and then start taking out their bigger cities.

They lose tons of science and buildings so it will massively slow their production.

Quick, unrelated, question, would you mind sharing the map that you're using? It looks quite nice, and I'd like very much to play it one of these days.

Tectonics Map Script V.3 by a guy named Haftetavenscrap.. You can find him on steamworkshop on the steam.

i should warn you, once you go on this map script.. you'll never use firaxis's maps ever again. World maps that I get is AMAZING. I frankly never know what to expect.

While with firaxis' maps I immediately know what the world looks like in my mind.

Tectonics Map Script V.3 by a guy named Haftetavenscrap.. You can find him on steamworkshop on the steam.

i should warn you, once you go on this map script.. you'll never use firaxis's maps ever again. World maps that I get is AMAZING. I frankly never know what to expect.

While with firaxis' maps I immediately know what the world looks like in my mind.

Actually the question was more along the lines of whether or not you could upload the map file, but thank you anyway for telling me how you got the map. I've had the tectonics map script sitting around in my mods section for a while, but I never got around to using it yet, until now.

Actually the question was more along the lines of whether or not you could upload the map file, but thank you anyway for telling me how you got the map. I've had the tectonics map script sitting around in my mods section for a while, but I never got around to using it yet, until now.

Ahhh.. you're welcome.

Looks interesting, but I hardly use mods because some "disable" the achievements. So I'd like to know if the achievements still work with this map script?

PS Your fleet really looks amazing ;-)

Wow that's a huuuuuuge map! Will check for tectonics map script on the MODS subforum. Also, you seem to be having a quite nice game!

The map looks interesting. Just downloaded Tectonics on BNW. Did you use any other mods?

Either way, this game looks really interesting. China really ran away, it seems, but your fleet seems... very impressive.

I just won my first King victory as Boudicca (I went for Spaceship, but I could have gone Diplomacy as well, I had the cash for it).

While your fleet is very impressive, it's massively overkill. If China has amassed a fleet a bunch of subs and battleships should be able to wipe them out in one turn with a surprise declaration of war.

Your army just needs to be a little "ball of death", I took over half the world with about 8 battleships, 2 subs and 4 destroyers for my naval campaign.

Of course, the Naval campaign comes later, when you try to conquer other continents, your initial land campaign should be about 6 artillery and 3 cavalry and you just take it city-by-city. You should be able to wipe out your enemies without taking any casualties.

Good luck with your war, it looks like it will be fun, but it is probably too late from the looks of the screens. I have no doubt that you'll win the war (you should be aiming to keep as many units alive as possible and carve through her, the AI isn't very intelligent), but I doubt that you'll be able to stifle her production quickly enough to prevent her from building the spaceship and I doubt you could encircle the capital quickly enough to prevent the part getting through.

I remember a forum post once saying "you need to make use of your unique units when they become available, they are the only thing that gives you the edge over any other civilization, to not use them is a waste of selecting that civ" (I think this was in reference to declaring war as Mongolia in G&K once you get Keshiks). I'd argue that this is also true for techs like Artillery and Battleships. Once you get Artillery you have a window of about 100~ turns (if you beelined) where you can take cities quickly and the enemy has no defence (i.e. they have no artillery either and they don't have aircraft to hit you with). You have to take advantage of that window to take the cities you want quickly, otherwise you're dooming yourself to let a Civ keep control of the game (like China). You should have a wonderspamming neighbour someone whose capital would be a nice addition to your collection.

I still think warmongering is an important part of the strategy for any victory, you have to cut down your runaway neighbours or they'll win the game, and the biggest advantage humans have over the AI is that the AI sucks at war, especially since the AI gets bonuses in pretty much every other area to outdo you.

I also really enjoyed this post and pictures! For some odd reason, it gave me memories of Command and Conquer 3 where the later missions really squeeze you for time and the battles become intense.

The Chinese nuclear subs might wipe the sea with you though so i'd recommend targeting them first. Heck, they might have missile cruisers too. As previously stated, enemy air units will be a problem, along with cruise missiles. Good luck. ;)

Also, thanks to Alazkan for clarifying us on this misconception. That really needs to be changed in a patch or something. The change would mainly involve the ability to manually move the spaceship location like moving great works.

If you nuke a city that has a spaceship part in it, ordinarily that part is destroyed, no?

There's always a lot you can do with 8 uranium, Manhattan Project and lots of money: buy Atomic Bombs. (Get the Apocalypse Now achievement as the Maya while you're at it)

Top Bottom