Stopping AI religious spread?

Jimi LaForm

Chieftain
is there a viable way to end their religion spam?

Even if you tell them not to spam you, and they agree (then break their word a few turns later), there doesn't seem to be any repercussions to their having broken their word. I had India break their word like 4 times in maybe 20 turns, yet I never received a cassus belli against them.

And if I DOW'd them in frustration the whole friggin world starts hating me.

Anyone have suggestions for a new to Civ6 player?

inquisitors can turn all the followers into yours. Also make apostles until you get one with debater. keep him near a holy site to heal him and he will murder all the ai religious units and spread your religion. You can go into theocracy and grab the religious orders economic policy for 5 religious combat strength each. I have found it very easy to keep my religion using this

Holy war is a last ditch effort to defend against enemy religion. Inquisitors and pair of debaters is enough for emperor and below to defend against enemy apostles.
Though if you are going to win in non-religious way, Its not a bad thing to allow others to convert your people. Especially when you are about to win, and AI is still far behind.

Inquisitors and apostles are only an option if you have a religion.
When you don't foudn a religion, the only way to get rid of the *** is to go to your nearest neighbour having founded a religion, eradicate them, and then produce apostles from their religion to counter the others.
Eradicating is optional but probably a good idea if you don't want them to win a religious victory while pursuing your own.

Killing apostles bring back like -250 religious pressure in standart speed emperor game each. Its more than they do by 1 spread, which is a good reward for stomping them while in Holy war.
But beware, by fighting enemy apostles you can unitentionally convert your neighbours cities. Then you get a denounce cause "you converted one of their religious cities". Its still a fun thing to do still, especially if you accidently convert their only holy city early in the game. This way they will denounce you and probably decalre on you, but they will never bring anything religious but yours :)

I've found inquisitors are a pretty cheap way of keeping your cities yours, just place one inside cities the AI is trying to convert and they'll waste a lot of charges trying to change it back.

You can also try asking the other civ to stop converting you, where they'll proceed to laugh at you, agree, and then break their promise a turn later. I'm not actually convinced that mechanic has been programmed to modify the AI's decision making yet.

You can also try asking the other civ to stop converting you, where they'll proceed to laugh at you, agree, and then break their promise a turn later. I'm not actually convinced that mechanic has been programmed to modify the AI's decision making yet.

It has been. In a recent game, I asked Scythia to stop converting my city.. and she did. The only conversion that happened was a newer settlement that didn't yet have my religion, and that city she happily instantly converted. But all my other cities with my state religion? She left alone for the whole game.

I think once the AI starts planning a "Religious Victory victory" (to borrow what the notifications say in-game lol), they tend to start breaking that promise...

It has been. In a recent game, I asked Scythia to stop converting my city.. and she did. The only conversion that happened was a newer settlement that didn't yet have my religion, and that city she happily instantly converted. But all my other cities with my state religion? She left alone for the whole game.

Thats cool. I guess Spain is just a madman with his religion then, but that makes sense, he probably should be. It was funny though that he agreed to stop converting my cities four times in 20 turns, and broke the promise all four times, lol. You think after a certain point he would have just said 'no, my religion is the true religion, why would I stop?'

Ugh, my current game had 3 civs sending waves of missionaries before I could even start the Inquisition.

It really shouldn't be so easy to lose your religious center (and thus religion)

It really shouldn't be so easy to lose your religious center (and thus religion)

In my Arabia game (immortal) I got around that by declaring war on sythia (the other major religious power on my continent) at about the point where I got my religion, and chose beliefs that would give me faith for unit kills near holy sites. With a good amount of units I was able to hold them off well enough to set up my religion, then I eventually conquered them to hold my religion. I didn't worry about converting the other continents, but I got a good religious power base with my empire and Gilgamesh.

3 different civs sending missionaries at the same time sounds tough though.

if you missed out on getting a religion, and later totally wipe the civ who converted you, do you get his religion to pursue religious victory? or a different question would be would the defeated AI still in contest for religious victory?

if you missed out on getting a religion, and later totally wipe the civ who converted you, do you get his religion to pursue religious victory? or a different question would be would the defeated AI still in contest for religious victory?

You definitely aren't. I think the defeated AI still is so long as they're in the game.

Top Bottom