1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping technology advance

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Asjo, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

I'm currently making what is shaping up to be the ideal medieval scenario (for Civilization IV - Warlords) in my eyes. I have arranged for every nation their unique unit, but the problem is that no medieval scenario is really worth playing as long as there is technology advance - you will play it for a few turns and then advance to the next technological era, even when you play "marathon" and tweak game speed to multiply it by three (I believe that's the max). I really cannot believe that Civilization IV comes without an option to stop technology advance.

Last time I mentioned this, alterting the tech-tree was mentioned, but no one had done it and nothing happened. However, in the Warlords expansion, while playing the Rise of Rome scenario, I noticed how the tech-three had been changed and there was no technological advance - instead techs were replaced with the creation of great people and upgrading of units.

What I ideally would like to see is a tech-tree without any technologies so that I'm sure that the units choice and styles of the civilizations in my scenario will never change (I have designed an unique set of technologies for each nation to fit their style and forbidden tech trading). I also need to be sure that no great scientists or wonders will somehow be able to discover new technologies for nations. In itself, preventing technology advance would be a satisfactory solution, however there is also another element. The AI tends to favour science a lot and I would think that even though you change the tech-three it would still have 100% science if it can afford it. That leaves it at a fairly big disadvantage. So, if it would be possible to stop that, I would prefer that as well.

I don't have any great overview of the XML files or how to edit them. So, I'm asking anyone with the necessary skill to either do it or, if you aren't bothered about the problem (which I think it crucial for non-modern scenarios), tell me how to. Of course, if there have already been made some roundabouts to stop technology advance you can just refer me to those.

2. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

Once again I am astounded by the missing activity in the forum. It seems so active, but then I write something, and it dies.

3. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

This is the wrong forum. This forum is for the posting of completed utility programs, not discussion. This should be kept in the main Creation & Customization forum.

And if you check around there are a few mods that have all techs past a certain era disabled. Follow the link in my sig and in the top post you can find a link to LimitedEras ModPack, which has 7 mods, one ending in each era, but it is only compatable with Civ4 v1.61.

For a warlords compatable mod check the Mod Components forum there is one that has some of the mid eras ending.

4. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

Well, this was kind of asking for a utility, but I see your point - without the utility I would need help and explanation. I didn't actually know that you could post in 'Creation & Customization' main forum, I just noticed the subdivision made through sub-forums and thought that was how each topic was isolated. Kind of confusing. Hope a moderator can move this topic then.

Instead of finding a particular mod, I would rather like to know how I can actually change the tech tree and prevent tech alltogether. Which files, how to edit, what to edit. If I could get a direct link to a Warlords XML file which disabled tech alltogether, that would be great. Also, It's not enough to limit it to a particular era. Even though the limit would be the medieval era for my scenario, a few civilizaitions still have other technologies. More importantly, not all civs are supposed to have all technologies for that era.

5. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

It can be a little confusing at first. Just keep in mind that most sub forums under Creation & Customization are for the posting of completed work of the approitate type. In most, but not all, there will be one, if not more, request threads that you can post requests in.

Beyond that, if all else fails, post in the main Creation & Customization forum. Just about everyone watches that forum and you should get an answer or two to just about whatever you post.

The mods I mentioned have only the tech xml changed to disable the appropriate techs and might be good to look over. As for direct links, I don't have the warlords one handy, but it shouldn't be two hard to find.

And if you want to learn to disable techs yourself, check out the Tutorail forum, I think.. rebel5555 maybe.. posted a guide to disableing techs a few days ago.

6. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

Thanks for the helpful pointers. However, I just looked at rebel's guide, and it seems like something I could have easily figured out myself if I had just looked. Will it really do the trick? And would you happen to know of any way to change how big a percentage of teching the AI does? Or will that automatically drop to 0% when there are no technologies? (if you have tried the limited era mods) . . .