Storm on Brazil's government

Angst

Rambling and inconsistent

Their supreme court, their national congress, both attacked by a crowd of protesters, wanting Lula's inauguration reversed.

Snippets

"After hours of chaos, Brazilian police have retaken the National Congress building after pro-Bolsonaro protesters stormed the building. Police are still in the process of clearing rioters from the Supreme Court headquarters and Planalto presidential palace."

"Hundreds of people invaded the building, calling for military intervention to overthrow President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva. Lula was inaugurated one week ago.

Supporters of the former president refuse to accept that the populist autocrat lost his bid for reelection, claiming the election was stolen. Hardcore supporters have even openly called for a military coup in order to put him back in charge, with some seeking to sow chaos through vandalism and violent attacks in hopes of triggering a military response."

"Other footage purportedly showed them gain access to the nearby Supreme Court."

I've seen some talks about this elsewhere, but I'm curious as to the consequences of this. Lula has granted certain federal powers to crack down on the protesters. The insurrection from what I can tell was ended within a few hours (on site), but there's scary shots of the military police siding with these people. Also, more government oversight into these things does ring scary, but it's one of those things... Parliament and supreme court was stormed. Government is going to respond.

I heard the Brazilian Congress isn't even in session, and Lula isn't there, and the Supreme Court is in recess, so these people have basically occupied a bunch of empty buildings. Pretty dumb.
If they'd eaten mac and cheese CFC would be calling for their execution already. :lol:

Brazilian media reported that the army had stationed 2,500 troops in Brasilia ahead of the possible declaration of a "guarantee of law and order" (GLO) by the president, which would authorize the use of troops in the case of a security crisis.

the military? at least they don't do this in the US. we have federal law enforcement for that sort of thing. I'm assuming Brazil does not...?

but there's scary shots of the military police siding with these people.

the military? at least they don't do this in the US.
That's what Trump was trying to engineer, though, I'm certain. He wanted one of his supporters to be injured by counter-protesters, and he was going to use that as an excuse to call in the national guard (on behalf of his supporters). And he was going to use that chaos of all that to just refuse to clear out of the office: "I'm just staying in office until this mess is all sorted out"

That's what Trump was trying to engineer, though, I'm certain. He wanted one of his supporters to be injured by counter-protesters, and he was going to use that as an excuse to call in the national guard (on behalf of his supporters). And he was going to use that chaos of all that to just refuse to clear out of the office: "I'm just staying in office until this mess is all sorted out"

Personally I doubt he was capable of coming up with much of a plan. Besides, some of his "supporters" were killed that day, it still didn't lead to anything.

Last edited:
He's absolutely capable of coming up with plans, especially since his big plan is just to let chaos happen, and that doesn't take much. Babbitt was killed not by a counter-protester, but by a cop. He needed the return-violence to come from people on the left in order to warrant calling in the guard.

But that's as much as I'm going to say about Trump in this thread, which is not about Trump, but about the people of Brazil now having to go through their own version of our 1/6.

Their supreme court, their national congress, both attacked by a crowd of protesters, wanting Lula's inauguration reversed.

Snippets

I've seen some talks about this elsewhere, but I'm curious as to the consequences of this. Lula has granted certain federal powers to crack down on the protesters. The insurrection from what I can tell was ended within a few hours (on site), but there's scary shots of the military police siding with these people. Also, more government oversight into these things does ring scary, but it's one of those things... Parliament and supreme court was stormed. Government is going to respond.
I saw that on media, was a terrible at all. They destroyed a lot of buildings and stuffs.
Fortunelly some of theys was already arrested. I hope all take a while in jail.

Is Bolsonaro in the US still? And what's his (likely super-terrible) take on the events?
He is in the hospital.

Complications from being stabbed in 2018.

The left-wing supporter was acquitted for the stabbing in 2019 after being declared mentally ill.

I heard the Brazilian Congress isn't even in session, and Lula isn't there, and the Supreme Court is in recess, so these people have basically occupied a bunch of empty buildings. Pretty dumb.
Almost as if this expected release of anger was scheduled by a mediator between the two parties.

Almost as if this expected release of anger was scheduled by a mediator between the two parties.
If we have to put it into a binary, then consider:

1. The two parties that hate each other conspired to undermine the incoming administration by orchestrating an ineffective but politically damaging break-in of government buildings.

2. Some people are just really stupid.

I vote two!

i have a very hard time believing that this is an illuminati thing

seeing what happened in the states, the incompetence of it, it's believable that it was just idiotic

i mean, they support bolsonaro... x)

Top Bottom