1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Storm Over Europe Leaderheads Preview Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by jorde, Jun 6, 2005.

1. jorde

jorde Leaderhead Engineering

I'll be posting here some LH's I'll be working on for SOE, so this will complete my WWII era collection. First one is Charles de Gaulle, and as always, I'll accept suggestions, especially on his facial features.
    At the moment, I need mostly to know how to make his outer eye corners go down, as he had them. I'll also change his moustache shape a bit, and will try to have the texture for the hat done by CornShucker, who has been really helpful lately. Oh, and the background is borrowed from Franco's, since I used him as a starting point this time

And since I am not able to upload any pictures now, here's a link to it: http://www.evo-games.net/Home/files/de_gaulle_preview_1.jpg

2. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

I am a member at EVO-games.net, but I still can't view this image.
    ---
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /Home/files/de_gaulle_preview_1.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.evo-games.net Port 80

3. jorde

Ok, now I could upload it, so here it is.

Attached Files:

4. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

Hmm... he looks anything but French. IMO, he would rather pass for Atatürk instead of De Gaulle. As far as I know, his face was longer and narrower and his hair had a hint of blonde, kinda dark blonde. I will dig up a pic of him next chance I get.

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Definitely more nose required!

6. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

well.. I was mistaken. His "youthful" hair had no blonde.. but as he aged, he turned silvery white. (Go figure!)

7. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

I would suggest a paler complextion. The hat looks like a Turkish Fez, which would not be right. Combined with his swarthy skin complextion, he would pass for a turk.

8. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

That hat looks very dark; I do not think it is the right color. I can see however that it is the right STYLE of Hat. Also, I would put him not in a suit, but in a Military uniform. About his actual face, them other fellers up that awayz ^^^ knowz what dey sayin.

9. jorde

Okay, new try at De Gaulle... modified his face a bit this time, but looking at it now I think it could be a bit longer, but I'll leave it up to your opinion. His hat has also changed to match the one he used (and which I liked the most). The rest is pretty much the same (even the background borrowed from Franco, which I'm starting to like for this one)

Attached Files:

10. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

Still leaves me with a "hmmm". I understand the challenge of making a portrait of someone, especially a cartoonish one at that. It's just to me, he still doesn't give me that "De Gaulle" feel. He reminds me of Franco, Hirohito and Atatürk, all rolled up into one. Don't get me wrong: it looks like a nice LH. It just doesn't look like De Gaulle. Maybe a French Army uniform would help.

11. jorde

I know... his face does not want to get the correct shape ;) Anyway, I'd still like some specific changes suggested, so I have an idea on what I should change now.
    And also, what do you mean by a French Army uniform? Since the clothes he's wearing now look more or less like the ones I've seen on him on the pictures, do you have any pictures of it?

12. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

I've heard it said of DeGaulle at the time that he had a face like a pineapple and the lips of a woman. But then of course the whole of WWII seems to have been about personal insults about other peoples appearance, carried to a genocidal degree...

I like the one on post #9 just needs slightly fuller lips, and a weaker chin. Also although his ears are large I think maybe they shouldn't be so sticky out, they are not his most famous aspect, and in post #9 they are the most obvious things in the picture.

13. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

Well... what about the uniform he has in the first pic in post #6?

14. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Personally, I don't think the background works. Perhaps wou should try to make your own 3D one like Civ Army. I'd think a somewhat dark room with a table and radio on it and a Free French flag.

15. jorde

Well, I tried to do something similar with the one he's wearing now, though I wasn't sure about the colours, which I'll probably change. Should I add any small medal/military badge, and if so, what should it look like (pictures will be appreciated :) )

@Goldflash: I could try some 3D stuff, though I lack the skills, practice, materials or props to do it. I could try, however, to mix a real photograph with some 3D props (provided I could find them) or some pics of radios and stuff... I dunno, but I'll have to work on it

16. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

Well, here's the Croix de la Guerre and the Légion d'Honneur:

17. jorde

New preview now: Moscicki of Poland. I think he's just in the mod for just a few turns in the beginning, but still I was asked to do it, so here it is.
    As always, opinions and suggestions are accepted.

And De Gaulle is on hold for a few days until I can manage to do some kind of different background (like Goldflash suggested)

Attached Files:

18. Kal-el

Kal-el Deity

I think you have a good start on Chucky there. I have taken the liberty to do some quick work in photoshop, a minor nip/tuck here and there to try and point out where I think he could be adjusted.

Note:
    Longer neck
    Thinner face
    thinner bottom lip
    smaller mouth side-to-side
    squarer chin
    Weaker face, i.e. less pronounced chin
    nostrils curve up a little more
    deepen the shadow around the eyes (could even be darker than what I have there)
    he has a bit more jowel

19. jorde

GREAT!!! Thanks a lot for those suggestions, as I think those will be VERY useful, and with some of the help from that pic I'm sure I'll get it right soon (I have to find the right morphs, though, but I'm sure it'll be easier)

20. jorde

Well, here it is what I managed to do with De Gaulle. It looks quite bad compared to the edited one Kal-el posted above, but it's the best I could do in a few hours' work.

I'll start working now on the background, but don't hesitate to suggest more changes to his face

Attached Files: