1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] [Story] An Account of Dutch History

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Leyrann, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Civilization: Netherlands
    Map: Fractal
    Map size: Large
    Victory pursued: Cultural, small chance I might switch to domination or science, but unlikely
    Difficulty level: Deity
    (plains hills and grassland hills also count as valid adjacency tiles for polders now as requirements were too harsh, so I made some adjustments)

(I'm using some Dutch here and there for names, as I'm playing the Netherlands, but I'll provide translations. All important features on the map are getting named, and I'll provide some screenshots as well. Also I'm using random Dutch names as 'writers')

Lezers gegroet! (lectori salutem)

My name is Peter Bergsma. You may know me as one of the founders of the campus of Utrecht, the first centralized Dutch institute for learning. I have always taken a personal interest in history, and specifically our own history, of the Dutch civilization. In this work, I will attempt to sketch a realistic view of what it most likely looked like, though we have little beyond oral tales to work with.

These tales go a long time back, however. The oldest tale we know details the founding of Amsterdam, still our capital to this day, next to the singular mountain it has become known for, and bordering the river the Amstel. This is also what the city has been named after, as a dam was built at the place to allow for river crossing even in the wet season, and Amsterdam was founded around this dam. Of course, these days there are several bridges crossing the Amstel, thanks to our wonderful engineers in recent years.

Several old takes also tell of a mighty war with a close neighbor, the empire that is named Persia. Though only little of the empire remains nowadays, the name of the city of Susa can be traced back to this Empire. It is unknown when exactly Susa fell into Dutch hands, but tales do tell of Viktor, a powerful nobleman, who won over the population of Susa after the war and convinced them to remain with the Dutch.

Additionally, tales are told of explorations to the west, where new settlements were founded, with The Hague as the most notable one.

In little more recent times, Utrecht, the city in which I am writing this work, was founded on the coast of the Oostzee (lit. East Sea, also the Dutch name for the Baltic Sea, though this is not an Earth map). In this time, the Dutch empire found itself in a rough spot. Though the war with Persia had been won and Susa had been conquered, there was little else the citizens could pride themselves on. In these hard times, when not losing land was all the Dutch elite could think of, the persian king Cyrus the Great declared war on the Dutch without prior warning. Though the Dutch army had recruited because of suspicious troop movements of the Sumerian empire, this attack was unexpected, and a defense of Susa had to be rallied.

The Persian army had gone through noticable improvements. Most importantly, their legendary Immortals dominated the battlefield, strong both at range and in melee fighting. Many Dutch lives were lost, but the Dutch archers fired back the best they could and managed to stave off the Immortals. As it appeared the war would enter a stalemate, however, the Australian nation, who had long been in a good relationship with the Dutch, entered the war, attacking Persia from the other side. This allowed the Dutch army to push forward and start the siege of Pasargadae.

This siege lasted for years, but thanks to advancing troop movement from Australia the city finally fell, one of the moments of great pride for our people.

Around the same time, overpopulation in the Dutch empire caused people to look to the south to settle the fertile Groninger Vlakte (Plains of Groningen), after which the city Groningen was named. The empire now extends all the way to the Zuiderbergen (Southern Mountains, sorry for the lack of creativity) where Toronto, a small nation conquered by Sumeria, is located.

Though it was not possible for the Dutch army to hold on to Pasargadae, as too many people simply were unhappy about Dutch rule, and they eventually joined the Australian empire, the achievements of the Dutch army and the Dutch settlers, as well as the first naval explorations and of course our beautiful campus, gave our country much more to be proud of, and the nation looks foward to what future times will bring. In particular, the mostly empty Matterhornvlakte (Plains of the Matterhorn, see screenshot) is considered by the nobility a candidate for future expansion of the empire.

Additionally, our cities of The Hague, Eindhoven and Utrecht have been having a number of floods, as they are located at the Baai van Auckland (Auckland Bay) and Oostzee, right on the coast. Though no breakthroughs have yet been made, engineers are working on ways to possibly avoid these floods in the future. Most importantly, some seaside dams are considered to keep the water out. Though my study is of the past, I believe that this may lead to great things in the not too distant future.

The future will hold great things, and our culture is blooming.

Spoiler :

The beautifully situated Matterhorn, surrounded by flatlands and some hills, it is truly majestic:

(I should've made a screenshot where it isn't in fog... maybe sometime soon when I got time to actually play rather than just enough to write this post)

upload_2018-2-12_9-58-50.png

Baai van Auckland (Auckland Bay):

upload_2018-2-12_10-0-40.png

Oostzee (East Sea):

upload_2018-2-12_10-1-11.png

(the story will be continued as I will continue playing)

Attached Files:

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

(so it appears that pins don't save on quitting and re-entering a game, which is a damn shame and hopefully gets fixed in the next patch)

Your Majesty William IV,
    Highlord of Amsterdam,
    Father of the Dutch,
    King of all the Netherlands,

My sources have informed me that the citizens of the last remaining bastion of the once influential Persian Empire, Bakhtri, have overthrown their ruler. Though currently the city is in turmoil, it is expected that they will defect to the Australian Empire in the near future, though some voices call for them to join the Sumerian Empire instead. I personally hope, and I would suppose, if doing so is not above my station, that you share this opinion with me, that the city will defect to Australia, as they are a long time ally of us, wheras Sumeria's intentions towards our empire seem a lot more malicious.

I look forward to hearing more about the execution of the expansion plans regarding the Matterhornvlakte and, as I recently heard, even beyond that area, when I next visit the capital. As you are without doubt aware, a group of adventurous people has already left Susa to fulfill this dream of expansion, and yet more people are willing to go.

As a last word, your Majesty, there is no need to worry about the loyalty of the Susan citizens. Though the Persian troubles are frequent talk in the city, the citizens trust in your rule in all you do, as it has brought nothing but prosperity to the city and indeed the entire empire.

Signed,
    Johan Viktor van Susa II,
    Descendant of Viktor I,
    Governor of Susa.

---

Your Majesty William IV,
    Highlord of Amsterdam,
    Father of the Dutch,
    King of all the Netherlands,

I am proud to inform your Majesty that we have arrived at the Matterhornvlakte and have started the settlement of the area. Though the Sumerian Empire is close, we have faith in your rule and we know that our town, which we have called Leiden, will be instrumental in keeping Sumerian agression at bay.

Signed,
    Peter van Susa,
    Descendant of Viktor I,
    Brother of the Governor of Susa.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

The Many Achievements of King William IV and his grandson consul William I
    by Hans van Haarlem, writer at the Amsterdam theater square

King William IV and consul William I are two leaders who will, without doubt, be remembered throughout all of history for all they have done to bring prosperity to the Dutch nation.

Perhaps the most important aspect of king William IV's life is his decision to stimulate expansion towards the northwest, to Matterhornvlakte and beyond, the exploitation of the Haarlemmermeer [lit. lake of Haarlem, also a lake (now a polder) in the real Netherlands. The Schiphol airport is situated there] area all the way to the coast of the West Sea. Additionally, William IV was a builder, who in particular stimulated the arts, which several cities owe their theater squares to, as well as the exploitation of many farmable areas.

His grandson, consul William I, may have even more impressive achievements, however. First and foremost, he realized that the growing empire he had inherited from his grandfather required a different way of rule. Rather than having a single king, he reorganized the empire, inviting noblemen from all major cities and provinces, who took place in the senate he built in Amsterdam. Here, he co-ruled with different consuls, who were chosen by the senate, though William I had earned him and his family a permanent position for one consul, and he in practise held most of the power.

This change of rule allowed him to focus on exploitation even more than his grandfather had done, and the creation of vassals - who each had their votes in the senate - furthered this ability. During his rule, all throughout the empire land was exploitated to increase food harvests and productivity as well as income, and cities bloomed. Meanwhile, he continued his grandfather's policy of expansion, and started pushing for the colonisation of the other shore of the East Sea, close to Russia's border but mostly populated by barbarian tribes. Additionally, he focused on the economy more than his grandfather, and trade increased all throughout the empire.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

@God of Kings Thank you, I'm having a lot of fun writing it.

A breakthrough!

Who would have thought this would be how it came? Even Peter Bergsma of old already spoke about the trouble the sea often gave. And now, new Settlers built the city of Delft at the west side of the Haarlemmermeer, and like is common in Dutch areas like that, they build some dams. However, it turned out that the area had had a relatively dry time, and the level of the lake in the area had been lower than typical. Though this could have spelled disaster for the settlers, one of them realized that something as simple as the wind could be used to pump away the water from low-lying areas, behind the dam where it is supposed to be.

This discovery, so simple and yet so powerful, will no doubt change the way the Dutch people live. It is as if there is no end to our prosperity.

(also just look at this beautiful placement of a city on a lake and another city to serve as canal, free extra coastal city, super protected)

Spoiler :

upload_2018-2-12_16-25-3.png

Thormodr and God of Kings like this.
  6. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

An excerpt of "Causes for War" by Sander de Wit, a minor nobelman from Susa who became famous for his critique on the decisionmaking of the Dutch senate in his time:

What is the most important question one can ask? I do not write this because I want to be seen as a great mind, looking to answer the questions of the great thinkers. No, I simply wonder. Old records tell of the wars between the Netherlands and Australia on one side, and Persia on the other. Of how, in the early times, the Netherlands and Persia warred over the lands in between, over the very city of Susa in which I was born. How, in the years after that, the Dutch preservered, despite dark times, and pushed forward into Persian lands, splitting the prize with Australia, which still remains one of the greatest empires of the world.

The Netherlands, after emerging triumphant, created a nation many would envy. Think of the famous reforms of William I, or the expansion into the Matterhornvlakte and the Haarlemmermeer area initiated by his grandfather.

When we look back on those times, we see the glory, first and foremost. The glory of pushing through dark times against a mighty opponent with advanced strategies - we tell ourselves we barely needed Australia's assistence, though their records tell a tale of an army that, while it had achieved much, would have been routed if it had not been for their intervention. We look at the times after, how the Netherlands expanded so vastly in size, and we revel in the fame of these times.

In old times, we managed to push back empires. And in these days, despite our advances in weaponry, our attempts to push off the barbarians from the east coast of the Oostzee were not even succesful. Our army tried landing several times, but never managed to get a foothold. Though the consuls are planning a coordinated attack in the near future, using the newest material, they had to divert the people's attention from these events. And to do that, they declared a war on Sumeria. Yes, we have long had bad relations with Sumeria, and indeed, they technically conquered Toronto, just south of the Netherlands, hundreds of years ago. But I would argue that using that as justification for the war is flimsy at best. The only argument in favour of this war that I can think of, is that indeed, the population seems to believe this will be a resurrection of old times, a glorious war for the honor of the Netherlands. They look towards the future in excitement. I do not believe they will like what will come.

And that brings me back to the question I asked at the start of this chapter. What is the most important question one can ask? As I believe I have shown well, what matters in the end is how people, both the Dutch and other nation's citizens, look back on past events and past decisions. Therefore, the most important question one can ask is this. How will people, a hundred or a thousand years from now, consider our choices? Will our actions be considered fair and just, or those of tyrants? With this in mind, imagine they would be able to ask us why we did what we did. Would we be able to explain our choices? Yes, history is written by the winners. But even that considered, even if we indeed do win this war, even if we manage to colonize the Oostzee shore after years of trying, will we be able to explain why we did it, or will we have to admit we were scared to go on with our lives, as we had done for so long, because we thought we needed glory?

Thormodr and God of Kings like this.
  7. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Fantastic story so far. I really do love Civilization stories told in this way.....& I love the pictures :).

Your story does make me wish that they would bring back the Ethnic Diversity of Cities that we had in Civilization IV. I look forward to the next chapter :).

God of Kings, Leyrann and Thormodr like this.
  8. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

To all governors, merchants and high-ranked citizens of the Dutch Republic,

You are all invited to come to Amsterdam for all of the year 560 to discuss all matters of state.

As has become clear in recent times, the current form of the Dutch Republic does not hold in the face of changing times. Despite our advances in technology, commerce and more, other empires are eclipsing us, and more urgently, our nation is losing the war with the Sumerian Empire. Though, as you are without doubt aware, there have been peace talks, the Sumerian king's demand for peace would cripple our economy.

In the face of this war, it is important that we, as a nation, bond together and face the threat as one, like in olden times, when the more advanced Persion Empire lost against the many good men of the Dutch empire, who gave their lives so that their nation could move on to live in glory and peace.

Signed,
    Consul William VIII van Amsterdam
    Highlord of Amsterdam,
    Father of the Dutch,
    Descendant of Kings,
    By the autority of the Dutch Senate

Signed,
    Consul Leo II van Den Haag,
    Protector of the West,
    By the authority of the Dutch Senate

---

The Governmental Changes of the Dutch Republic in 560 AD, by Elisa de Groot, a summary.

The singular most important change made, was the inclusion of the Representative Assembly in the Dutch government, giving an official vote to the many merchants and other powerful citizens of the Dutch Republic.
    Furthermore, a dedicated war effort was started by noblemen and merchants alike to answer to the growing threat of Sumeria, focusing on the production of high-quality weapons when possible, though the Republic did suffer from a lack of niter, even once scientists discovered the workings of the Sumerian muskets.
    Last, a change was made, in particular due to pressure from merchants, to allow women to argue and vote in place of their husbands in both the Senate and the Representative Assembly when said husband was unavailable for the gathering.

Aussie_Lurker and God of Kings like this.
  9. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

One thing that, to me, is certain, is that the greatness of a civilization does not lie in it's strength in war. I may have been influenced by Sander de Wit's Causes for War on this subject, but has history not proven him right? We could not win the war against Sumeria. In fact, we mostly lost it, and could only make peace after defeating them before the gates of Amsterdam - our capital, the proud heart of the Republic.

Ironically, one could argue that we did achieve greatness in these times, and mostly the years after the war, but it had little to nothing to do with the war itself. Instead, our pride was to be found in exploration. We were the first to make contact with all major empires this world knows - and in fact we were also the ones to encertain that we knew all the major empires, as our explorations finally proved decidedly that, as scientists predicted, the world is round, which told us there were no major unknown lands anymore.

Perhaps unrelated, perhaps not, as the Brazilian empire attempted to colonize a mostly empty area just north of our empire, the colonists, upon hearing about our nation and trading with us, decided to join us, rather than function as a satellite state to a distant monarchy that may or may not treat them fair.

Sending a large contignent of the army, which had been modernized during the war against Sumeria, we drove off the barbarians from the east coast of the Oostzee. Some of my family has now followed, in the rear of the army, to found cities, to cultivate these lands. Like so many others, they have this drive to explore, to find out what is beyond the horizon, that defines us. Not the wars we fought, or won. We are, in the end, defined by our culture.

And look around. Susa. The Hague. Leiden. Surely you have heard of the men and women in these cities, who founded and are founding writing schools, galleries, and so much more, to give all room to express themselves. Our culture defines us, and so it should be. Instead of resisting it, and looking towards the past, let us embrace our culture, and let us look towards the future, even if we do not know if it will be good or bad. For we, the Dutch people, explorers in our blood, in all senses of the world, will persevere.

~Large excerpt of a letter written by Anna van Amsterdam.

Spoiler :
    I should stop writing stuff that almost brings me to tears.

Aussie_Lurker and God of Kings like this.
  10. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Gentlemen,

Let us not try to circumvent the matter. We, as a nation, as a people, have fallen on hard times. The unexpected resistence from the barbarians in the east, even after we thought we knew what we had to deal with, has drained our people. Many families have lost people, either in the war against Sumeria or in the cleansing of the Oostzee shore. As a representative of the Susa ruling class, I can tell you that there is little pride left for our civilization among our people. So little, in fact, that some of my sources tell me that a few voices are talking about rebellion, to join the Australian empire instead.

Now, do not be worried, I have made sure these people were appropriately dealt with, but this is a sign, one of many, we cannot ignore. We have long prided ourselves on victories in the distant past, believing we were still the same people. Recent wars, however, have shown that we are not. And that means the common people feel lost. What are we, as a people? We are not great fighters, so much is clear, without any doubt. I will be honest, even, and say that I do not believe we should be.

We need to look at our relationship with the other powers in this world. We have alliances everywhere. Australia has been a trustworthy ally since ancient times, and together with Scotland our empires are a central power in this world, and even though we may feel like we are the smallest, the little brother, we are not. Yes, most of our technological advances are derived from their discoveries, and yes, their armies are far more powerful than ours. But surely you all know, that not a single nation on this planet is as large as ours in terms of cities, of lands. We have the people to achieve anything, but we need to set our minds to it. And then I have not yet talked about our more recent diplomatic success. Our consuls have insured alliances with both Russia, to the south, and Brazil, the largest naval power of the world.

And this is why I asked to speak to you all. For I know, and we all do, that we most certainly have the means to achieve much, and this is the time for it. We stand on the brink of great changes. Scientists in Australia have recently found that steam can be used to move mechanical pieces, much like windmills, but many times more powerful. It leaves no doubt that, within too long, inventions like these are going to change the world, and I would not see us fall behind. So I ask you, first of all, wherein lies our strength, as a people?

And on this matter, I can only give one answer, that I myself received in a letter by Anna van Amsterdam years ago. We, like all nations, are in the end defined by our culture. So I ask you, what is our culture? Anna, as at least some of you are without doubt aware, argued that our culture is one of exploration. I would not wish to take away anything from that, as we indeed are explorers, without doubt. What she did not mention, however, and may not even have realized, is what follows this exploration. As a former resident of Susa, however, the gateway to the East, I know like no other that we are also a people of traders. We trade with everyone we know, and it is what sustains our country.

Because of this, I would argue that, first of all, we need to stimulate and protect our trade, with all countries, and our allies in particular. Through this, we earn the wealth, the freedom and the knowledge to advance as a nation, scientifically as well as culturally. Let us not look for war, as we know what the last war brought us. Let us not look to explore, as there is so little left to explore. And let us not look to build, as we do not have the wealth to sustain it. Let us, first and foremost, look to trade, and all that we require will follow. Thank you!

~Transcript of a speech for the Assembly by David de Jonge

God of Kings likes this.
  11. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

An excerpt from a biography on David de Jonge, by Ellen van Leiden:

At the dawn of the Industrial Era, it was David de Jonge who most actively argued for change in the Dutch Republic. In doing so, he proved to be a very wise man.

In harsh times, he was the one that understood why the Republic had lost much of it's former glory, and more importantly, he saw how this downward trend could be stopped. As his argument gained traction in the Assembly and the Senate, the upper class started actively stimulating the trade with the Netherlands' many allies. This brought technological advancement, new cultural views and, most importantly, money.

This turned the Netherlands, already placed central in the grand scheme of things, into something of a giant trade hub. And on such a crossroads, it is nothing but logical that great things happen. On their own, it may not mean too much, but once you add everything together, the Netherlands have returned to the world stage. We caught up on industrialisation. We started adapting to the newest military achievements, forming corps and fleets. We finally gained access to niter as we exploitated the lands around Rotterdam and Maastricht, on the other side of the Oostzee, and used this niter to improve our weaponry. And perhaps most importantly, all kinds of great and talented minds started to flock to the Netherlands. From the arts of writing or music to engineering and science.

In other things as well, David has shown to be keen of mind. He advocated at all times the need to maintain good relationships as much as possible. This proved it's worth several years ago, when the Aztec empire declared war on the Netherlands. Our many allies immediately formed a unified front, and not a single shot has been fired on Dutch soil.

It is impossible to say yet whether we will return to glory, but one thing is certain. The dark times are coming to an end, and the Netherlands will be stronger for it.

God of Kings likes this.
  12. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Sounds like you had an Industrial Era dark age ;).

13. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

haha, how'd you guess?

---

Antonio Vivaldi. Ada Lovelace. Albert Einstein. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Joaquim Marques Lisboa. Names that will go down in history, with many others. Their achievements, their discoveries and works, are what once again brought the Netherlands to the forefront of the world's civilizations. Thanks to the reforms initiated by David de Jonge, that opened up a wide array of possbilities for the Dutch citizens, these people could grow and rise to greatness.

In doing so, they have paved the way for many more to come. Were the Netherlands behind on industrialisation at first, now we have caught up and are looking to eclipse our neighbors. The trade empire we have built grows but more powerful within the web of alliances, and the Netherlands are fast becoming the richest nation on the planet. And as times advance, so does the awareness of the environment. Of course, the Matterhorn has always been admired as a beautiful mountain, rising high above the plains surrounding it. Alike, the Cliffs of Rotterdam are nothing short of amazing. But in these times, people are starting to look for more recognition for these and other marvels of nature. Truly, it is time for the whole world to see the beauty of the Netherlands.

~An excerpt of the inaugurational speech of consul Daphne van Utrecht, the first female consul in the history of the Netherlands.

(I did savescum for my heroic age, by the way, but that was only because the damn civilopedia was lying to me)

God of Kings likes this.
  14. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

15. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Loving the story so far.....reminds me I need to finish my story about Poland!

16. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yes you do!

17. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

You really do!

I can't wait to see the conclusion of your Poland story.

18. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Most likely going to be a full week before I got the time to continue my game.

19. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

upload_2018-2-19_12-11-22.png

God of Kings likes this.
  20. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Perhaps it was the creation of a national park and the first seaside resorts, or perhaps it had to do with the wonder of flight, which will surely shrink our world like never before. Maybe it was neither, and rather the influence from our great minds. Or it could be the rise of religious values, which never had truly been abundant in the Netherlands, or the large population growth in recent years. Maybe it was just time for it to happen. Whatever it was, the Assembly and the Senate debated for weeks on a changing course for the Netherlands.

In the end, they decided that the great pride of many Dutch people for their country would be enough of a boost to overcome the foreseen troubles*, and new laws created a standard of living that was garanteed for each Dutch citizen - man, woman or immigrant - by the state. A home, food to eat, and a certain degree of luxery. In exchange, all would have to work and also accept any job that did not ask for qualifications they did not have, with exceptions granted only for reasons deemed sufficient by government officials. For every job they offered, companies would have to pay a certain amount to the state. Beyond that, they were free to offer extra pay - though still with taxes imposed on it - to allow them to lure the best people, as had been done before.

In addition, the noble and merchant social classes were officially abdicated, and the Senate was rescinded, while all Dutch people were now allowed to vote for the Assembly. Additionally, laws were put in place to ensure all people would have free access to all politcal parties' agenda's.

*The most heard argument regarding these troubles, was that many people would feel no inclination to work when given the standard of living defined by the state no matter what. In addition to the trust placed in the Dutch people, the laws requiring all to work were put into place specifically for this reason. Punishment for breaking these laws will generally include rescinding some of the luxeries granted by the state, or even more. To protect the citizen, however, every such case also needs to be reviewed by a government official by law.

~A short summary of the governmental changes, taken from "The Netherlands in Modern Times" by Willem de Groot.

God of Kings likes this.