Story and Diplomacy Thread for the Inter Site Democracy Game ISDG 2012

Calanthian

Emperor
In the best Diplomacy Game Tradition I hereby present to you the:

Story and Diplomacy Thread for the Inter Site Democracy Game ISDG 2012

The purpose of this thread is to post in-character story posts and diplomacy for this game.

* Please discuss all organizational aspects in one of the 'sticky' organizational threads above.

* Remember this is not a discussion thread, when you want to react to something, do it in-character.

* Make sure to mention your team in the title.

* And a small tip: use the 'Go Advanced' button

When you are unsure how this thread works, check out these examples of recent games:

* Destiny of Empires: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/196801-Destiny-of-Empires-Diplo-Game-Story-Thread-11-August-2011

* Destruction of Foes: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/196485-Destruction-of-Foes-(DoF)-Diplo-Light-Story-Thread-1

* Destiny of Empires II: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/198856-Destiny-of-Empires-II-Story-Thread

* Domination of Barbarians: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/...arbarians-Diplo-Game-Story-Thread-3-June-2012

The Chronicles of the Apolyton Empire

It is said that, before Lizzy, as Elizabeth is affectionately known, the Apolyton people did nothing more than playing games and telling stories.
Where Lizzy came from, no-one truly knows, though legend says she was born of a Union between Mother Tree and Father Sky.
Certainly it was from the woods that she came and walked amongst the small tribe that would one day become the Apolytans.

Over the course of generations, the Wise Elizabeth taught this tribe the rudimentary skills of co-operation, farming and the use of wheels.
The Apolyton tribe was quick to master these skills under Lizzy's expert tutelage.

However, even with these new skills, the local environment became too harsh to support our people and the tribe’s numbers became dangerously low.
Our most wise ruler, however, told our people to follow her to a land where the lands were good and plentiful, where our numbers could swell unchecked.

So our tribe followed Elizabeth from the increasingly harsh desert that was our home, and led us over the hills and down to a lake surrounded with beautiful daffodils.

It was exactly as she had told us, with lush grasses feeding the great herds of wild cattle.
And the lake, known as Lake Cildir, where man and beast alike could slake their thirst.

"Here" she told us, in her euphonious voice, "we shall build the great capital of Apolyton, from whence our people shall rise to greatness.”
It was done as she had asked, and the great city was constructed.

But as said, the Apolytans do like telling stories, so clearly one good story is not enough.
Another foundation myth is expressed in the ancient story known as "Lizzy's Dream".

In this story the young Elizabeth of Apolyton was inspired to conquest by a prescient vision of empire.
According to her dream, the empire is a big tree whose roots spread through the entire continent and whose branches cover the sky.
The tree, which was Apolyton Empire, issued countless rivers from its roots, the Triana, the Ortygia, the Nemea and many others.
Additionally, the tree shaded four mountain ranges, the Parnassos, the Taurus, the Atlas and the Barcas ranges.
It is said that during her reign Elizabeth will extend the frontiers of Apolyton settlement toward the edge of the, constantly expanding, known world.

There's been a large quarrel outside our house this night. My father's men have been extremely restless since we finally settled down in this lush area. Even in the times of peace our warlords kept arguing about every single grain of edible plant we could find in the area.

This evening my father was expected to choose his chief warlord, since our last warlord has been missing during a hunt two moons ago. Being unable to make a final decision it seems to have angered both of the popular choices among Council of Revered Men, Warlord Sommerswerd and Warlord Daveshack. I guess father have to choose soon or face the consequences.

It would be so pleasant to have such issues settled in case something happens to my father. The title is rightfully mine, after the stars and sky request my father's presence among them.

(it seems rest of the written on animal skin has been badly damaged and the text is no longer clear enough to give any sense)

[START VIDEO FIRST]

Link to video.

It is night,
a silvery moon is master of the sky,

Then it is silent,
Apollo wonders why..

What's that?
Does he hear a sound?

He holds his breath,
There is a wolf around.

He seeks shelter,
All senses are alert,

His heart is pounding,
he must not be heard.

A sudden splash and a swoosh,
a swift blow and a bang,
A howl and some pain,

Then silence is all
that will remain.

A boy went into the woods,
as he wanted to learn,

a real man is all
that will return.

(OOC: For those of you, who are not used to diplomacy games: one of our warriors has slain a wolf)

Apollo's Chosen - with apologies to Percy Shelley.

The sleepless Hours who watch me as I lie,
Curtained with star-inwoven tapestries,
Corrall'd the modest moonlight of the sky
Fanning the busy dreams from my dim eyes
Waken me when their Mother, the gray Dawn
Compels me from my cobwebb'd dreams begone

I dreamt of Basileous of a land
Once fruitful, blasted now with pitted hands
Of ancient intricacies long forlorn
And lasses leaving lovely locks unshorn
By barbaros, boasting their bloody bursts
With beastly brays and bloated curse

Then I arise, and climbing Heaven's dome,
I walk over the mountains and the waves
Leaving my robe upon the ocean foam
My footsteps pave the clouds with fire; the caves
Are filled with my bright presence, and the air
Leaves the green Earth to my embraces bare.

No more shall dusty desert bind our toes
No more shall nomads count amongst our foes
We shall now settle by the sodden shore
And boldly build upon the ruins once more
We clasp the clay within our folded hands
And now press forth our claim upon this land

The sunbeams are my shafts, with which I kill
Deceit, that loves the night and fears the day;
All men who imagine naught but ill
Fly me, and from the glory of my ray
Good minds and open actions take new might
Until diminished by the reign of Night.

Our fond forces received their foremost chore
From the terrible Tigris and it's swollen shores
Defy all those who would compress their might
And force us to hide within the caves of yore
As Babylon bestrode the world's light
So shall we stride upon the cause of right

Feed I, the clouds, rainbows, and the flowers,
With ethereal colors; the Moon's globe,
The pure stars in their eternal bowers,
Cincture my public power as with a robe;
Whatever lamps on Earth or Heaven shine,
Are portions of my power, which is mine.

Advancing our now chosen cause divine
Foundations of the earth will yield to thine
To shine your light upon the depths of fear
Mining Ignorance's ingots as we peer
Within the laws of nature we will find
Revelation of your plan within it's signs

At noon I rest on heaven's peak untrod
With my unwilling steps I wander down
Into the Atlantic's comfort unbid
For grief that I depart they weep and frown:
What look is more delightful than the smile
With which I soothe them from the western isle?

And all shall fall, before your fearful eyes
That burn and roast the heathens careless cries
Shall fall upon their dimly known champions
That nap within their feeble pantheon
As we proclaim thy power throughout the earth
And you shall bless our noble tribal birth

I am the eye the Universe beholds
Itself, and understands it is divine;
All harmony of instrument or verse,
All prophecy, all medicine, is mine,
All light of art or nature; - to my song
All Victory and peerless praise belong.

The Nemean Lion

Queen Elizabeth decided Apollo's first task would be to bring the skin of an invulnerable lion which terrorized the hills around Nemea.

When Apollo got to Nemea and began tracking the terrible lion, he soon discovered his arrows were useless against the beast. Apollo picked up his club and went after the lion. Following it to a cave which had two entrances, Apollo blocked one of the doorways, then approached the fierce lion through the other. Grasping the lion in his mighty arms, and ignoring its powerful claws, he held it tightly until he'd choked it to death.

When Apollo made it back to Apolyton, Elizabeth was amazed that the hero had managed such an impossible task. She allowed him the honour to wear the lion’s skin as a true hero’s token.

(This entry seems to be from the same era as the previous found inscribed skin)

There is lots of profit in the long days of rain. Our pet cat definitely don't like the rain and even refuse to leave our tent these days, but most of mother nature subjects seems to thrive and blossom. Maybe there is a duality between everything in the world?
It seems that this season have more rain than I've seen in many years. The grassy area just beyond our tent reminds me of the swampy area we lived in before settling down here. My mother Indira is among all the elderly that have fell sick this time. She's boiling from inside and most of her golden skin seems to be just a ghostly shadow of it former self.

In another note, there have been an interesting contest among the citizens what to call our settlement. By now, we've mostly called it "town", "camp" or as some of the elderly tend to call it for a joke "temps - our temporary camp". Neither father or the contesting warlords seem to care about the topic, but it would be glorious to find a name worth remembering.

( It seems that young Mansa have tried to do some feeble art at the end of the skin. It could be a fat woman or an elephant... or maybe a mango?)

Last night father awoke me in the middle of night. Being awaken after a long day of hard labor did not make me so pleased, but I can't just dismiss my father. This night he introduced me to a shadowy cloaked figure I've never seen before in our camp. His hands was brighter than the moon and it seemed that he was not eating well, during his bleak appearance. My father had to explain to me that it is time to learn some about the different aspects of being a chief.

Yossarian, as the master of Ears is called, represented the Shadow Council, the ears and eyes of the Chief. It has so come to pass that one of the sages of the Council had a vision of a young warrior being attacked by animals in the middle of the night, butchered during his rest after a long day. The Sage did also mention a landscape neither of our elders or sages knew, coming to the conclusion Yossarian wanted to warn my father about: It seems we are not alone, cause this dream was channeled from the real world. This was a real soul reaching for the stars.

I was walking this morning, slightly disturbed about that I actually did not know everyone in our settlement as I thought I did when I noticed the same cold hands. Broken and skinny they were selling skins and curios at the marked. The piercing woodlike eyes of Yossarian greeted me. "Is there something I can assist you with, young one?".

I praise the gods that Yossarian is a friend and not a foe.

At that time there arrived at the court a gallant young warrior, whose name was Bellerophon.

He brought letters from Proetus, the son-in-law of Elizabeth, recommending Bellerophon in the warmest terms as an unconquerable hero, but added at the close a request to Elizabeth to put him to death. The reason was that Proetus was jealous of him, suspecting that his wife Antea looked with too much admiration on the young warrior. From this instance of Bellerophon being unconsciously the bearer of his own death warrant, the expression "Bellerophontic letters" arose, to describe any species of communication which a person is made the bearer of, containing matter prejudicial to himself.

Elizabeth, on perusing the letters, was puzzled what to do, not willing to violate the claims of hospitality, yet wishing to oblige her son-in-law. A lucky thought occurred to her, to send Bellerophon to combat with the Great Bear, which was roaming the Troas peninsula. Bellerophon accepted the proposal, and set off to battle the bear.

The battle was long, bloody and fierce, but in the end Bellerophon was victorious.

Bellerophon, slayer of the Great Bear of Troas

Leaving my poor mother in the house of healing I had to pass the Training Pit of the village. The screams of agony and pain filled the thick air and triggered my curiosity. Who could be training forces which the Pit Master being deadly ill? As I approached the Pit, I had to laugh of the poor bloke trying to dodge rapid hits over and over again by a fearless woman.

Slightly bleaker skin and a head higher than most of the women I knew, Lady Aivo made a formidable threat both in diplomacy as on the battlefield. We stumbled upon her hut while searching for remedies in the swamps nine summers ago, before settling down. Lady Aivo seems to know lots of natural remedies, but being a hermit for ages has made her a deadly fighter. Lady Aivo rarely teaches in anything but healing, but it seems that father had her ordered to revive other practices.

I watched for a good time, with a growing fear that this aspirant would pass out before even manage one single blow. His knees seems to be close to breaking point too.
As the trainee warrior collapsed, his club almost splintered and being repeatedly beaten by a woman wielding a spiked knotted rope. I've seen even warriors Ainwood and Thunderfall taken bruises under our regular training, but this one revealed bumps on places I've did not know was able to bleed nor change color.
"Even my unborn children fight better than that! Have you considered leaving the path of warriors?" Lady Aivo reached for the nearly unconscious aspirant and started applying linen and herbs to the brutally maimed areas on his body. Noticing my presence, the Lady shouted out: "Mansa, could you notice Master Turso that we may have an another candidate for the mines? I don't remember his name right now, but it starts on Pa...something something."

I could not agree more on that decision.

Tales from Realms Beyond Egypt

Goldilocks hefted the new club. It felt just right, neither too heavy nor too light. Then it was the question on where to go next. In the first direction, things looked too wet. In the second direction, things looked too dry. But in the third direction, things looked just right. But looking closer, Goldilocks noticed something among the trees...

And Goldilocks did what any other sane warrior would do.

There has been many cold nights lately. Strange lurvy fourlegged creatures has been watching us from afar. Their eyes always shimmer in the moonlighted sky. One of the young has heard Lady Aivo talking about these creatures, calling them "woolfs", or so the young told me.

Last night we managed to count them while crossing an open field of flowers and herbs. Eight mangy half-starved animals, some barely adults and one great pack leader. Having no encounters for a long time, it seemed that these "woolfs" would be a great opportunity to train our young in open field combat. Seeing our losses after the battle made me reconsider if I want to continue to train in open fields. 4 hurt youngsters and the one that knew about the "woolfs" ripped apart to nearly nothing, his head was totally unrecognizable, so instead of dragging his tiny body to camp we buried him in leaves by a lonesome tree.

I really hope lady Aivo will appreciate our catch of "woolfs". I heard her house is full of weird animalistic skins. I let the young Padma taking care of transporting skins back to camp. It would be a good test of strenght.

I haven't seen a more tragic assembly of injured warriors as this sunrise. Ainwood and his slightly ravaged company brought skins just in time for the ceremonial burials of mother and the long sick Pit Master. It's a shame that their injuries have to wait till tomorrow. I doubt the lady will visit the house of healing today with all the chores at hand.

The newly widowed lady Aivo was naturally leading the ceremony this midday, pouring sweetened water and lilac flowers over the slightly decayed bodies. During the morning our master of tents made a proper dress from one of the scabby skins. I cried much that day, but I was not alone. Mother Indira was highly revered among all of the villagers, especially those who were in need. There were sorrowful women and children and sad looking elders among a number of people that seemed to grow for each drumbeat. They met up so they could pay her the last visit. It seemed that just another waste of life force.

As lady Aivo ordered ceremonial pyres to commence a stealthy Yossarian closed up to me from the moaning audience. His appearance seemed to be slightly less grey than usual, I would guess that the accidental streaks of sunlight did the trick and made the Master of Whispers seem to be more human in shape than he tend to be.

"I think we all agree that this deaths should not be in vain, young Mansa. Tomorrow I will suggest to the court a wonderful preposition for a camp name. I guess you like the idea of calling this settlement for the glorious city of Indira." I lifted my head and looked Yossarian directly in the eyes. There was actually two pair of eyes that were smiling that ceremony, just for a small amount of time. His and mine.

The Realms Beyond Egypt were suddenly in chaos. Everyone of responsibility there - the Micro Master, the Diplomatic Despatch Designate, the Macro Master, the Propaganda Pamphleteer, the Taker of the Turns, even the Meandering Masses - they all found themselves bereft of any means of communication between themselves, with their history cruelly removed, and with no means to document their efforts and thoughts.

It was a time of chaos, of great deeds, and of new bold leaders. The old stalwart T-Hawk was the first to step up and try to rally those of the Realms Beyond, but he soon could step back again when Yazilliclick took up the challenge, who gathered the masses, formed them into new ranks, and led Realms Beyond out to new and whiter pastures.

Le Realms Beyond est mort, vive le Realms Beyond!

My good friend Plotinus has at last finished his time as apprentice in the Training Pits. When receiving his personal rudeshaped club, Plotinus bit it slightly on the tip and muttering for himself "At least I got a club made of oak"
Our Master of Scrolls has been researching or seeking after better clubs and realized that there are different kinds of woods. On the more ridicule side, instead of using months of shaping clubs out of different woodkinds he could just ask Aivo about her vast knowledge of the wilderness. We could have made stronger clubs ages ago!

Plotinus had received his first official military task, to accompany the Master of Scrolls to the small settlement of Mantra. I would accompany those two to the hills of Mantra and return afterwards and meanwhile I should learn about coordination in the wilderness from both Plotinus and the Master. Father were very specific to mention that the Master of Scrolls were a man of wisdom, so I should be very polite with him.

As we turned the corner of Lavender Square, we got eye of the Master of Scrolls: A youngling with a cape slightly resembling most of the Senate's, unruly black hair with early streaks of silver and piercing black eyes. On his back he had a weird sewed skin made of woolves, containing something that looked like bird-feathers and even more skins. It was obviously that he should do some large "researching".
"Good Afternoon, Mansa. Your brutish friend must be Plotinus I guess. My name is Caledorn. We are already way behind schedule, so we should keep a hasty pace. I am in control of this journey and objections are not allowed."

I think this is going to be a long journey...

Falamar Govannon was observing a massive slaughter just outside his hovel. There has been stationed troops outside the tiny village of Terasvin for a long time and they were brutish, crude beings. The Villagers and even him, the Mayor of this forsaken village had to feed them from often nearly emptied supplies and he has heared conversations of riots passing a random window. Falamar could understand that the villagers did suffer, but the alternative of being randomly slaughtered by barbarians... he would rather not think about that.
Falamar had at several times had soldiers on visits at mealtimes and he grew fond of their more sivilized leader, AlanH, mostly because his tales of battles were better told than from most of the younger soldiers. Now Falamar was desperately scouting for his figure amongst the barbarian horde just outside his yard.
He spotted a cape of weird white pelt, that was hanging on some distant branches, realizing that it would be impossible to point out his friend among his men.
That was the first time the silver-haired Mayor of Terasvin found himself looking to the sky, sending a prayer for victory and mercy for his kind.

Our latest diplomatic discourse discussion disagreement with the barbarians had a surprising result. Instead of the usual grunts and bar-bar, our diplomats heard the following.

Looting' a hamlet in the ... hot sun
I fought the Lew and ... Lew wyn
I fought the Lew and ... the Lew wyn
I needed money, 'cause I ... had none

I was born a barb and I feel so bad
I guess my turns are up
That was the best turns ... I've ever had

Robbin' people with a . . . BIG club

I miss my turns and the ... good fun

I was born a barb and I feel so bad
I guess my turns are up
That was the best turns ... I've ever had

Safely placed in a huge facility near the Mantra Granary, I could not notice that Caledorn seemed to be upset about something. First we had a rough ride through the western country, observing the roads and what he was calling "mapping possibilities". What is mapping? I am not sure I want to understand it. Caledorn seems to be rather good at using science, but really bad at explaining it to others.
Suddenly there was a sudden cold at my left shoulder and out of nowhere I spotted Yossarian's cold blue eyes. "Pleasant ride, Young Mansa?"
I shruggered in slight discomfort. There were few people that scared me, but Yossarian was still the worst... or best of them. What came to my mind that this was carefully planned, cause Caledorn's spirits suddenly lifted.
"Your fashionable lateness is forcing us to work at nearly double speed", Caledorn said. Fortunately todays lesson is about the function and practicalities of Granaries. Tomorrow you have to learn non-oral communication.
I was still not getting what Caledorn said.

I was summoned by father early this morning to settle a quarrel at the local temple. Father tended to many local matters, but I had never had the pleasure resolving matters of faith before. Father Tobias was a man of slow pace, often tending and preaching to workers and even sometimes being too polite towards some of the slaves in need. Considering his expertise in managing the local workforce I was surprise that I was sent to deal with matters of greater responsibilities.
I was greeted lavishly by the gatemaster , but the same could not be said about Father Tobias. The temple floor were unrecognizable, arrows stuck in the walls and pantry being torn several places. In the middle father tended broken plants, at least until the gatemaster interrupted him. It was noticeable he disappointed about my fathers absence, but were polite enough to share his burdens with me after being presented with a formal letter.
"As you see, young Prince, the temple has lately been used as a practice archery lately. How can I preach the words of comfort in these dark times, reminding children about pleasures of life beyond the thirst of violence, when this holy place is used as
a practice field of new weaponry?"
"But after all you have seen the dark omens on the horizon, haven't you, preacher?" Warlord Metras grinning face suddenly conjured itself in the middle of our conversation. "The more soldiers we can test these weird flatbows with, the better can we make them. We can't use the fields these stormy days. There is eyes everywhere too, according to the Council. This is actually the only building large enough for such testing!"
I was not even sure if Father Tobias were even listening, as he lifted two large leaves and carefully applied a supporting rope. I was sure he was muttering something for a second, but it could have been the wind cruising through the broken windows.
I was agreeing with both men on their matter, but this was holy property. How did father solve such matters... or what would Yossarian do?
Most likely I was testing the patience of both men when interrupting the incredibly awkward silence. "Could we ordinate the preachings to certain days?"

Top Bottom