1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] [Story] Civ6 SG: Emperor Trajan

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by pholkhero, Jan 6, 2018.

1. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I feel like the AI has come along a bit over the past months, and so it may be time to give another SG the ol' college try. If the Prime Minister can skull a beer, then, by Jove, we can Civ (a bit).

Leader: Trajan
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Map: Continents
    Size: Normal
    Speed: Normal
    all vanilla ~ no additional civs or mods

Roster:
    pholk
    ozbenno
    ruff_hi
    OPEN
    OPEN

Ruff's OOP for the week, but we do have two open slots. If you want to join up and comment, go for it. Otherwise, I think

2. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

settle in place i think.

wait wait

edit:

much better ~

3. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

good spot for holy site and campus there. i think heading Animal Husbandry > Archery is a necessity on emperor. they ai seems to like to test you early with their high power advantage.
    the horses are nice for some early military.

culture-wise, I think teching towards early empire is probably best. leave the AI to found a religion i think?

other thoughts??

4. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

OK checking in.

After the first line about chugging a beer thought we were going to be Australia :crazyeye::beer:

Looks a decent start, settle in place.

AH -> Archery is good and the early horsemen (when we can control the horses).

Scout for first build?

Do you want to link the starting save so I can check I can open it as well?

5. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

oh, that would've been fun to be AUS. dang it

but my thoughts were slinger for first build, then warrior.

i don't usually build a scout on emperor for a bit since there's a small chance at huts due to the number of AI units on the map (just an opinion; not tested, verified), we need the military for defense and I don't really want to send them too far afield. plus, get a slinger out and have it kill off a unt will boost archery as well.

emperor AI starts with 3 warriors. If they happen upon us early, we could be toast.

possibly slinger>warrior>settler (to settle just below the horse) or slinger>warrior>slinger or warrior>settler.

Attached Files:

6. Ozbenno

OK fair enough, still somewhat of a novice in the ways of VI. Slinger first sounds OK.

I'll check I can load the save as attached.

Are there any other brave souls willing to join us?

7. Ozbenno

I can open the save so ready to rock and roll....

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Ok, so Set 1, here we go

I started it up, settling in place and heading for a slinger, Animal Husbandry.

It wasn't long before we had a visitor:

Who happened to be right nearby:

I was a tiny bit worried there may have been more warriors behind this one, so I moved my slinger to across the river from him just in case he wanted a piece of me.

Meanwhile, our warrior found Mohenjo-Daro:

Unless you're Germany, city-states, imo, are not really worth the trouble in the early game. [incidentally, a "player" gets eliminated during my set ~ my guess is it was barbarossa taking a CS.]

It was basically all exploration during this set, as per usual in the early game.

We did get a trade delegation:

which i reciprocated. As the diplo in the game is still a *bit* wonky, I'm not sure of the effects so I usually only send one when they do. Others may know differently.

One thing to watch for (which I can forget), it to swap out techs that you haven't gotten the boost for if it's something that you think you'll be getting soon. Thus, I stopped Archery with 6 turns to go, hoping to be able to find someone our slinger can take out. This small bit of micro (which the CQUI greatly helps out with) is, I think, one small thing you can do to boost your gameplay.

After AH>Archery, I grabbed Mining (a tech w no boost).

Meanwhile, our warrior-explorers found a blocked route:

which is nice as it severely limits approaching our capital for the enemy.

I also snapped a pic of this:

Not only did we get Mining in (Pottery next; still holding out hope for someone to kill for archery) but notice that the Scythians grabbed the Earth Goddess pantheon ~ giving them +1 Faith to any tile with Charming or better appeal ~ a dubious choice, but I didn't see their lands w the Appeal lens. It might be great, but I doubt it.

Some of the pantheons are a bit OP (looking at you God of the Sea) while others are extremely niche. They could use a bit of balance I think.

We also met another friend:

How did we meet him, you say? Why, he was kind enough to settle a third city for us:

Speaking fo which: After teh initial slinger>warrior, I weeded out and grabbed another warrior instead of a slinger, but, when it was done, started on a settler for a city by the bay. I stopped at t26 when the settler popped out.

Here's a map (from the strategic view to get a bit more into the frame):

I was thinking 1 SE of the horse might be ok if we want to get the horses in the 1st ring. There's only the two resources visible (though I think there may be more to east ~ maybe iron or a later strategic resource), and it'll be production poor.

Another idea is 1 SE of the Incense. We get horses in the 2nd ring (which it'll hopefully grab with our first culture pop) and a bit more production.

I leave it to you to decide.

Civic-wise, after Code of Laws, we grabbed the +5 barb defense and +1 produciton in all cities. I set research to Foreign Trade. I didn't think either boost was all that likely (3 improved tiles ~ nah, only had the ability to farm at the time and i didn't think a builder was worth the resources, and another continent was iffy). As it turned out, we DID find another continent so FT was boosted, and we researched Craftsmanship long form. Seeing no reason to deviate from a PoliPhil beeline, that's what I did, going for Early Empire. We should get the boost for it pretty soon after a new city goes up so swap to State Workforce when we're halfway done.

Techs: Pottery is almost done. I thought maybe Writing, but we still don't have Archery yet and I feel less and less confident that we'll get the slinger kill for it. so maybe Writing > finish Archery. Then idk.

Production: Rome is set for another slinger w the thought to upgrade them to archers and go for QSH and China.

I think that's it. You up Oz-man.

[Gameplay of First Set]

Attached Files:

9. Ozbenno

Ok see it. Will have a look tonight, post some thoughts with a view to playing tomorrow.

10. Ozbenno

2 nearby cities for us is very nice. We'll need horses online for that. I think 1SE of horses is best for that.

Civics wise agree head for Early Empire. Research wise we want Horseback Writing asap so after Pottery/Writing, think we bite the bullet.

Build wise, another slinger (cheap upgrade to archer) and then a builder? New city slinger then builder (we want to get horses pastured to get boost for HBR).

I'll play tomorrow night if no dissenting voices.

11. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

:thumbsup:

can't wait for Horseback Writing!

12. Ozbenno

It will be special.

13. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

What bafoonery is this?

14. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

only the best kind

15. Ozbenno

Well I couldn't seem to get print screen to work for the first few turns and then remembered that Steam has an inbuilt screen capture function (still used to how IV works) :wallbash:

Any hoots new city Putolis (hehe) is SE of horses and is set to build a slinger.

Image taken from later in the set.

We meet Japan who is also pretty close.

Research went through Pottery, Writing and then Bronze Working as we got the boost.

What about Archery I hear you say, although it could just be the cat.

Well we got the boost but haven't researched until the slinger is built as upgrading slingers is much easier than building archers. Can switch across when it is built.

Rome finished its slinger and then is building a builder to get the horses pastured, which will boost HBR, which we should research after Archery.

Civics went early empire, then state workforce, switched to Military Tradition as we got the boost. Didn't switch civics as couldn't see anything better out there.

Stopped as we can form a Pantheon now and I have not the faintest idea what it should be so will leave it to wiser heads than mine.

Attached Files:

16. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

nice ~ poor Qin. I think we could probably at least take that city i spied w just archers and warriors, unless something drastic changed. After that, i think maybe see what else we can get from him, maybe take it all depending on the speed of HBR and Qin's army.

*looks around* maybe that's me . . . ?

i'll take a look and post some thoughts. we can figure it out and, as Ruff is still OOP, i'll play later today (unless someone else wants to jump in . . . )

17. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

had a bit of family day today, put civ off till just before dinner.

my thoughts ~ all just general boni ~ there's nothing to recommend any one over the other
    border expansion 15%: claim more land since we've got a few AI nearby
    +25% prod to cities w/o districts: claim more land through settlers (and NOT building districts for a bit purposefully), and will help all game with new cities

also rans:
    + amenity for Holy Site next to river

will play in about 12 hours so feel free to comment [anyone, about the game or otherwise :) ]

18. Ozbenno

Border expansion seems nice, will help all cities but also the +25% production without district can help early city growth and hopefully we will be claiming a few soonish!

19. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

What an exiting 20 mins!

To start, after that stunning bit of equivocation :lol: I picked a pantheon:

Didn't realize that City Patron only gives prod bonus to building districts so not worth it imo. Took the other pantheon (ed note: I hope!)

Oh, and you can click on pins to delete them [see DM ruleset ;) ]

A bit of exploration, and on the next turn:

I was excited at the time [but notice i didn't complete Archery ~ thought it was done for some reason], but see what happens . . .

t36: I start to bring our warriors home to get ready for war, and on the IBT, china moves in for the kill:

Oookay. And hanging gardens and stonehenge are both gone.

IBT: japan goes to classical era

t38: I move our 3 slingers towards the battle, moving one forward. He becomes the first sacrificial slinger

Rome is attacked and I try to counter-attack where I can, but with the city damage, I begin to see that we might not make it.

t: still standing; slinger sacrifices 2 and 3

t41: Rome is still standing, and I decide to offer up two more slingers to keep China focused on them and not our city. A player would've taken our city by now, but the AI is still doing well (and I'm doing poorly)
    State workforce comes in, and I go for PoliPhil (my favorite branch of philosophy). I swap to Agoge for 50 prod bonus to melee and ranged. [ed note: couldn't find a pronunciation, but it's anc greek and i say "a-go-gay']

ibt: we lose another warrior dead

t42
    Bronze Working is in, and I go for . . . archery? archery?! ARCHERY!! :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

[insert greyfox whipping me here]

t43
    healing and waiting. Archery > Iron Working (remember to swap 1/2way to save beakers)

ibt: promo's for chinese units ~ more sweating

t44
    more weed with tactics here ~ instead of sending our fresh warrior out of the city since we had two in there, I sent a almost dead warrior out of the city.

ibt
    moving a warrior home through china, qin bought or built an archer as soon as i got in the borders

t45
    rome: warrior>archer!! (finally starting on one ~ we had no slingers left anyway); same at puteoli

ibt: lost another warrior

t46:
    healing again, crossing fingers, promo'd one warrior

t47
    chipping away at chinese units

ibt: lost another warrior; japan declares on scythia

t48
    barb appears at Puteoli :sigh:

our new archer kills a wounded warrior; starting on another archer

t49
    I use our archer to bombard a warrior.

ibt: chinese attacks our archer, leaving him checkmated

lost our archer on the next turn, and basically turtled until t52 wherein i stopped to let someone else ruin the game :D

The front:

archer in 1 at rome, 3 in puteoli

TL:DR ~ chinese attacked. I sucked. I think we're out of the woods.

bleck

Oz (or Ruff ~ too lazy to find his signature and see when he's back)

Set 02 Gameplay

Attached Files:

20. Ozbenno

Well at least we're alive! I did say to complete archery after slinger built in second city and upgrade them all. :mischief:

Did you pasture horses and start HBR?

I'll have a look tonight and play over the weekend.