[C3C] Strange AI behavior

Zefyrinus

Regent
I'm working on this scenario with 11 AI players. The first time I played it through, only three of the AIs built any city improvements, while the other eight only units. I'm going through a second playthrough now, and this time only one of the AI players is constructing any improvements, and that one didn't start doing that until very late in the game. In this second playthrough I've noticed that on rare occasions they will start constructing a wonder, but otherwise it's only units. What could be causing this behavior?

They do have the required techs for various buildings. I have added flavors; currently two of the buildings have no flavors set to them, while most other buildings have more than one flavor set to them. In any case, this thread seems to say that flavors have very little effect on the game anyway.

How many cities do these civs have? I've noticed some AI's will not build buildings, only units, if they only have 1 city.

Zefyrinus, can it be, that you have set some (or many) of the civs in your scenario to never build settlers or improvements ?

Attachments

• Build Never Settlers.jpg
    Build Never Settlers.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 263
How many cities do these civs have? I've noticed some AI's will not build buildings, only units, if they only have 1 city.
Some start out with one city, others start out with just a settler. But they all eventually expand to have dozens of cities.

Zefyrinus, can it be, that you have set some (or many) of the civs in your scenario to never build settlers or improvements ?
No. Or I'll double check just to make sure... But it doesn't explain that some civs start building late in the game, and only do units in the earlier stages.

I checked, and no, none of the boxes for build never was checked. Each civ has between 2 and 5 build often boxes checked.

The game I was playing through just ended, and here are the results. Assyria (destroyed), Qin (brown), Mycenae (yellow) and Normandy (gray) were the only AI civs that built any buildings. You can see from the histograph that Mycenae and Normandy started building only late in the game, because that's when they started getting any culture.

I've seen it said that having more than 3 build often/never options confuses the AI and maybe this is the reason? I'm not sure if it's a combination of often and never, or each. I played the safe side and assumed a combination of the two.

I've seen it said that having more than 3 build often/never options confuses the AI and maybe this is the reason? I'm not sure if it's a combination of often and never, or each. I played the safe side and assumed a combination of the two.
Oh? I remembered it being more than 5. I'll see if changing this helps...

I checked what the settings are for the normal, unmodded game, and most civs have 3-4 build often boxes checked, the Byzantines have 5. Tried limiting this to just 2 anyway, and so far in my test run none of the AI's have built any improvements or wonder. They still haven't fully settled their continents yet. Could that have something to do with it?

Perhaps upload pictures of affected AI civs settings in the scenario editor. Also some of the first improvements and wonders.

Top Bottom