1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange AI Diplomacy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Aceman101, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

I have just done a test (sort of) and found something strange with the AI behavior in diplomacy. Obviously the AI never was flawless when it came to diplomacy, but this interested me.

First screen-shot: Doing a trade with Elizabeth.

Second Screen-shot: I add Ivory and don't charge England anything more and strangely, they don't like the deal

Third screen-shot: I get rid of ivory and make the deal in screenshot 1. But now, I offer to trade Ivory with England, and they will pay more for Ivory by itself rather than Ivory and contact with the celts. :crazyeye:
    I also tested it without selling contact with the celts and then offereing ivory, but the same results happen.

Now this is just strange behavior. I got a lot more gold per turn selling Ivory and contact with the Celts separately, than I did with them together. So next time, try selling things separately and you might get a better deal.

2. Tribute

Tribute Not Sarcastic

Odd. But this can be explained if you have a bad reputation. This occurs when you have broken long term deals that you were still fulfilling the terms of.

In the first screenshot, you have Elizabeth paying for an immediate item with gpt and gold.

The second has her buying an immediate and long term item with gpt and gold. If your rep is not good, then she will think that you could be cheating her (long term item for gold costs a LOT more when your rep is bad). So that's why it is doubtful that she will accept.

The third shot does not contradict the second. You are selling a long term item for gpt. Rep does not play a factor because you're not asking for an immediate item (like gold).

Perhaps, you could retest this by asking only for gpt in screen 2. (12 gpt should do nicely seeing as how she can pay 18 gpt in the 3rd screenshot). Or, for the last screenshot, ask her to pay 1 gold (in addition to gpt) and see if she still would like to make the deal. If those changes do not make her accept and reject deals 2 and 3 respectively, then my explanation does not work. But hopefully, I have been able to explain away the 'odd' behavior.

3. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

I think what you said is exactly true; bad rep. I remember the Dutch came up with a proposal to make an alliance against England. Their offer was pretty good, so I accepted. And I'm pretty sure I made a long-term proposal with England (a few tens of gpt for ivory) just a few turns before making the alliance with the Dutch against the English. I always keep forgetting not to interrupt trade deals while they're still active by declaring war.

However, I would still do the test if I still had the save. But I'm pretty sure what you said is true anyway; so no need for a test.