Strange Bumper Sticker - What's it mean?

Aegis

Deity
So as I was driving into work this morning, I saw a bumper sticker on the back of an American-made car that said:

MIAMI was a UNIVERSITY when Florida belonged to SPAIN

There was also a Sunoco sticker on the back, as well.

I'm trying to figure out what they mean by this. Miami has a University now. There are several Universities in Florida. I assume this is some sort of dig at the US Government, but I'm just not getting it. Does it have something to do with Miami, OH?

Any thoughts?

[Edit:] Nm, it's referring to Miami University (in Ohio) which existed back in the early 1800's when Spain still had control of Florida.

That's a good one. The old Miami University / University of Miami issue.

My favorite bumper sticker I've ever seen is:

Millennium, Shmillennium

But the one I've never figured out -- completely -- is:

No Bags, No Switches = No Fat . .. .. .. .. .es

I take it that having "fat . .. .. .. .. .es" is desirable, but I can't figure out what "bags" are. "Switches" might be to operate the hydraulics controlling the suspension on your car, but I don't know what "bags" are. Not airbags, right? Bags of drugs? Is "switches" something else?

Cleo

I take it that having "fat . .. .. .. .. .es" is desirable, but I can't figure out what "bags" are. "Switches" might be to operate the hydraulics controlling the suspension on your car, but I don't know what "bags" are. Not airbags, right? Bags of drugs? Is "switches" something else?

Was it on a car with hydraulics? "bags" in the context of hydraulics can mean these things sometimes called airbags (not like the safety ones) that operate similarly to hydraulics.

Fifty,

Interesting. You know, I don't remember what kind of car it was on, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't particularly suped-up. I bet you're right with the "bags" thing -- I never knew that there was another way to do that.

Cleo

Fifty,

Interesting. You know, I don't remember what kind of car it was on, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't particularly suped-up. I bet you're right with the "bags" thing -- I never knew that there was another way to do that.

Cleo

It probably was airbags, because switches almost definitely means hydraulics. If the car didn't have them, it could just mean that "no fat *******" are allowed in the car, because without bags or switches said fat ******* would pull down the suspension.

Yeah Aegis, its from Miami University, in Oxford Ohio. There is a Miami river there.

MU kids are prett touchy about being confused with the schol in Coral Gables. I had a fraternity conference there, and they gave us t-shirts thaty say "Damn it, MIAMI IS IN OHIO", with a big X crossing out the state of Florida.

Its also a huuge prep school, so most of them are tools.

it's terra florida i think. and that's latin.
Now I had to know ... but I only have Wiki as a source.

Florida was named by Juan Ponce de León, who landed on the peninsula on 2 April 1513, during Pascua Florida (Spanish for "Flowery Easter," referring to the Easter season).

Maybe it's also latin? Origins of languages and all that.

edit: Hugely off topic ... 'pologies

Yeah Aegis, its from Miami University, in Oxford Ohio. There is a Miami river there.

MU kids are prett touchy about being confused with the schol in Coral Gables. I had a fraternity conference there, and they gave us t-shirts thaty say "Damn it, MIAMI IS IN OHIO", with a big X crossing out the state of Florida.

Its also a huuge prep school, so most of them are tools.

They should just change it to Oxford University so its not so confusi... oh wait. :(

Now I had to know ... but I only have Wiki as a source.

Florida was named by Juan Ponce de León, who landed on the peninsula on 2 April 1513, during Pascua Florida (Spanish for "Flowery Easter," referring to the Easter season).

Maybe it's also latin? Origins of languages and all that.

edit: Hugely off topic ... 'pologies

no, spanish is "tiera". i just have the latin version in my head, maybe from a non-spanish source, maybe de leon used the latin version...

So as I was driving into work this morning, I saw a bumper sticker on the back of an American-made car that said:

There was also a Sunoco sticker on the back, as well.

I'm trying to figure out what they mean by this. Miami has a University now. There are several Universities in Florida. I assume this is some sort of dig at the US Government, but I'm just not getting it. Does it have something to do with Miami, OH?

Any thoughts?

[Edit:] Nm, it's referring to Miami University (in Ohio) which existed back in the early 1800's when Spain still had control of Florida.
Maybe it is a "conscious awareness" slogan. Meaning that it is a acerbic remark about United States' history of imperialism. That is rooting out the Super Powers (or Spain in particular) in their own backyard.

My favorite bumper sticker, by the way, is "My Son Could Beat Up Your Honor Student"

Fifty,

If the car didn't have them, it could just mean that "no fat *******" are allowed in the car, because without bags or switches said fat ******* would pull down the suspension.

That's an interesting interpretation. I had always assumed that one desired "fat . .. .. .. .. .es," so that the bumper sticker asserted that if your car had no "bags" or "switches," you wouldn't be getting any "fat . .. .. .. .. .es." But instead of a boast, it might be a warning . . . hmm.

Cleo

If you wanted to criticize the U.S. for imperialism, wouldn't you attack the obvious Native American connection ("Miami" is named after a Native American tribe in Ohio)?

Cleo

If you wanted to criticize the U.S. for imperialism, wouldn't you attack the obvious Native American connection ("Miami" is named after a Native American tribe in Ohio)?

Cleo
That is an odd question. Of course we will never know since the creator of the bumper sticker is not around here to explain fully on what the intent of the message is all about.

That is an odd question. Of course we will never know since the creator of the bumper sticker is not around here to explain fully on what the intent of the message is all about.

I have seen those bumper stickers before (I'm from Ohio). They're from Miami University in Ohio.

Top Bottom