1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange foods you enjoy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civvver, Dec 5, 2019.

1. civvver

civvver Deity

What's the weirdest food you eat? Maybe it's not weird to you, but something other people would say that's unusual, or wow that's gross.

• Tinned sardines. Boneless, skinless ones in olive oil are my favorite and then I usually put sriracha on them. I eat them plain but they're good in a sandwich or on crackers too. I love anchovies too, mostly plain or on salads, not on pizza.
    • Canned green beans right out of the can, they don't need to be heated or buttered or anything.
    • Butter spread on crackers, like club or saltine crackers. I don't really get how this is weird, you would put butter on toast or a roll, and a cracker is made out of the same stuff just crispier, but people look at me oddly when I say I like this.
    • Potato chips dipped in ketchup or mayo or sriracha or some combo of those, and potato chips dipped in peanut butter.
    • Plain cereal like corn flakes or rice krispies mixed with peanut butter and chocolate chips.
    • Eggs with soy sauce.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Butter on crackers is indeed good. Water biscuits in particular go great with a bit of butter.

3. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

As a treat, I like to eat peanut butter with a spoon; but I guess that's probably normal?

Oh, I like to put gravy on my grilled cheese sandwiches. Soooo good!

4. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

People always recoil in disgust when I tell them I eat tuna salad with bacon and cheese. I've converted two people to it, though.

People here also recoil in disgust when I tell them I eat raw ground beef sandwiches with mayonnaise and salt. Although I haven't done this in a long while since switching to delivered groceries. Can't vet the meat properly that way.

5. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Lutefisk, a xmas delicacy in my neck of the woods. It's essentially jellyfied cod with condiments.

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I have some share of my meals liquid, as drinks, from companies comparable to Soylent. This horrifies some people, and half of the time leads to some discussions.

Sometimes a good piece of bread with just ketchup is nice.

I also life in the Netherlands, where it's normal to put chocolate sprinkles on your buttered bread. Most foreigners find it weird, but it's actually quite nice. But I'm biased, since I had it too as a kid, because my mom was as a kid for some time in the Netherlands and got used to it.

7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Limbuger cheese.

8. civvver

civvver Deity

Gravy on grilled cheese does sound delicious.

MaryKB and Kyriakos like this.
  9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

It is.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Definitely do both of these.
    Never thought of this but I'll have to try it and report back.
    I do this too but not as a treat. I'll eat PB out of the jar and chug milk and skip meals. Or eat it on top of a meal, which is a problem.

I like to dip meat sticks similar to slim jims in peanut butter.

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

My gf gripes at me for regularly eating potato salad sandwiches.

12. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Hmmmm, my friends find it odd I drink a large glass of milk with breakfast and dinner. That's about it for strange food combinations I enjoy.

13. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

If you're stoned enough, peanut butter on a spoon with some sugar sprinkled on it is a close approximation of peanut butter cookies.

Hygro likes this.
  14. civvver

civvver Deity

Your image isn't showing up for me.

The trick is you need rigid chips like kettle cooked or ruffles and to spread the peanut butter on a plate cus no potato chip has the strength to scoop right from the jar. You can use regular chips like lays if you soften the peanut butter in the microwave but not so much that it's melted.

15. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

what a great idea, here we go:

avocado, pitted, with just a splash of soy sauce in the hole. you eat it with a spoon and half just a little bit of soy with each bite. best way to eat an avocado, ever
    bacon on waffles with some sort of jam or marmalade. I like quince best.
    pineapple or mango, cut into cubes, with salz, sugar and chili flakes on it. it's the most normal thing ever in southeast asia, but most people find it weird.
    fish sauce in sweet sauces, like vietnamese dipping sauce.
    I do a cocktail with vodka, lime juice, pineapple syrup, vietnamese cilantro and a splash of jalapeno pickle brine. has a great tropical & star anise flavor. I call it dirty underwear.
    fries with mustard. used to do it all the time when I was a kid, now I prefer mayo.

weirdest food I've eaten though.. that would be too long to answer. still-moving squid with raw egg and raw beef on top, probably. it suctions in your mouth & your throat and jiggles like crazy. not very good. lama. not very good. sea urchin is pretty good I guess.

it's pretty common all around Europe, called Mettbrötchen in Germany. we have it with raw onion instead, but you do you

eggs with soy sauce are baller

Hygro likes this.
  16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Cookies while stoned are fairly amazing.

We don't really get the peanut butter cookies thing here reliably and our pb plus chocolate thing isn't as nice as the USA stuff you occasionally find.

Trying to avoid PB.

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Just put PB on your ww bread and add a layer of potato chips before the top layer of bread. PB chip sandwich! Wonderful.

18. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Yeah, it's only those from North/South America that are weirded out by it.

Raw onion is gross, though. I bet you eat them like apples.

19. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Fresh ( < 24 hours old ) cheese curds. They squeak when you bite them.

I mean, most things are.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  20. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Bleah chip butties are good though.