1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

strange MGE problem..

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by xlilxjayxjayx, Oct 5, 2006.

1. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Hello, sorry if anything here is out of the ordinary, I'm new to this site.

I've played Civ II MGE for a very long time, but a while back I had to stop.

When I start a game, it works normal and is fine... until it gets really late into the game. Once I have expanded and gotten into the more modern techs, my city screens dont show up.

I click on them and nothing happens... I KNOW it's there, I've tested it. I can click on the city to open it, have nothing appear, then hit 'b' and it asks if I really want to buy what the particular city is building.

I cant figure this out, and it is really bothering me. I'm not used to having a problem I cant fix myself... if anyone knows how I can fix this, I would be EXTREMELY greatful. I love playing this game, and knowing that I have to make it a quick one if I want my city build screens to show up really ruins the experience for me.

I've also noticed a second issue, but it doesnt bother me much at all compared to the first. Even with the setting at 'on' under graphic options, I still cant see the animated heralds.

Thank you in advance...

2. Titi

Titi Chieftain

You probably don't play with the CD in the drive!

3. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

I dont, I've been using the no-cd thing since I started playing again. I guess that's not so important anyway... Do you think that may be the reason for the first problem?

4. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Not having the CD in the drive causes your second issue, but not your first issue.

Is it with one game in particular or for all your games? The game is basically a series of windows. If a window gets put behind another it stays there. Try moving the main 'game' window around and see if the city screen is opening behind it. if so, just move it so it overlaps onto the unit list section on the right hand side, fix your 'game' window then click on your city window.

Hopefully that's it.

5. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

No, that isn't it. I have tried that before. It happens every game, I did try to make a new one thinking it may be an isolated problem in that one game...

I moved every screen possible to try to find out where it went, and at first thought it would be behind the map screen. That wasnt the problem. :(

Thank you for your inputs though, I appreaciate it.

6. Duke of Marlbrough

Post a save in the thread and we can look at the game to see if it is a system thing or a game thing. It may be a video issue.

7. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Alright I can do that, but I dont know how. I'm new to this forum and I dont know much about posting things like that in general.. I dont know if I have any of my old saves that did that from before I started playing again other than a hotseat multiplayer game (non-internet style).

I'll post it up as soon as I find out how..

8. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

9. Duke of Marlbrough

So, new games that you start have this problem as well, or just older games?

What version of the game are you using? Multi-player Gold, right?

I was able to load the game. No city screens.

I saved the game, reloaded it. City screens show up.

I'm trying to get the file uploaded but I'm having issues with the server right now.

10. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

Hmmm... xlilxjayxjayx, try deleting the file called civ2.dat in your Civ2 folder. Start a new game and see if it's still happening.

11. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

The game is Civ2 multiplayer gold ed, yes duke. v1.3

I deleted Civ2.dat, but the problem is still there for me. I also saved it after that and reloaded, and that didnt work either.

I cant understand how it shows the screens until late in the game, but I think if i could figure that out I could fix it... Then again you (Duke) can load it on yours...

I'm sorry if im causing anyone too much trouble. Thank you again for your help.

12. Duke of Marlbrough

Here's the save after reloading it:
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/ja_a1786.sav

I couldn't find a reason for it, nor have an idea how to fix it besides reinstalling the game.

You need to completely remove the program and reinstall it, being sure to delete all the files in the directory before reinstalling.

13. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Ok I can do that, but I wont be able to let you know if it works for a while... I would have to play the game far enough in first lol.

Hope this works, thank you all for your help.

14. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

Probably one of your txt files was altered or corrupted; you could try copying over fresh .txt files (from source CD) only, then try again (to avoid reinstall). Your .SAV works fine in my MGE 5.0.4f. Just install MGE to a new directory, and your .SAV should play fine. :)

15. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Alright I used a friend's CD to reinstall the game (I mentioned in an earlier post I use the no-cd thing..)

I reinstalled it to a seperate directory though. I dont think that will matter with game play. :)

I would still like to finish my other games, and be prepared for it to happen again, but I am hoping this will end the problems I was having. I DID notice that I can play the game all the way through without a problem..... IF I dont save it and close. It's only the games that are at least a bit into it though, I actually sat up testing it lol.

It seemed to me before that it was after a certain point, but I guess thats just the point where I was growing tired and saving the game to do other things later on.

I'm not going to ask you to try to figure it out anymore, I'm just going to hope that the reinstalling did the trick. If it didnt, I'll have to just forget about it anyway :p. Thank you all very much for trying to help!!

16. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

Its OK to continue posting if it is not fixed. Its a support forum and people who read in here are not uptight about it. Chances are it will help some lurker who has similar problems :).

17. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Alright then, but we havent been able to find a solution just yet.. I will definately post whether reinstalling from the CD worked or not, and hopefully your right about it helping someone else. This is one of few games that I've been able to play for over 5 years without it getting old lol I'm just gonna be a very happy camper if it works. :)

18. Duke of Marlbrough

Did you try pulling the resaved game down see if the city report screen stays/goes away again?

19. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Oh, yes, I did. I forgot to mention that, sorry. It doesnt load the screens for me though, i uploaded that to my desktop and opened it from there. I get the same results.. I may just leave Civ up every game I play till its over...

Thank you for trying again, I feel like a parrot saying it so often but I want you to know Im greatful lol.

20. xlilxjayxjayx

xlilxjayxjayx Chieftain

Reinstalling the game (from the CD) seems to have fixed the problem, so if someone else does have the problem unless another way is found, they should reinstall. I deleted everything in the directory as well, so I couldnt tell you if the saved games that were not workin would work after the reinstall, but it is good enough for me to be able to play and save normally now. Big thanks to all who helped out with this, and have fun playing. :)