Strange news stories

Crazy Eddie

Genial drunkard
Just thought you might enjoy these... :D

'EXPLODING SALAD DRESSING RIPPED MY KITCHEN APART'

14:37 - 15 November 2002

A bottle of salad dressing had more kick than Ann Britten expected when it turned into a bomb, ripping apart her kitchen.

Mrs Britten told yesterday how the bottle exploded, sending the fridge door flying into her kitchen door.

The bottle then ricocheted and smashed through a window ending up 20ft down the garden.

The coconut and lemon-grass dressing exploded with such force it also pushed out the kitchen wall and caused impact damage around the loft hatch above the fridge.

Mrs Britten, 54, and husband Geoffrey, 64, had retired to Dorset for the quiet life but were shocked to come home and find their kitchen a bomb site at West Bay, near Bridport.

It is thought the out-of-date Marks & Spencer salad dressing had fermented causing gases to build up which were released in the explosion.

Mrs Britten, a retired nurse, said: "We could have been blown away if we were here.

"I thought at first the place had been hit by a big firework rocket mortar because there was debris everywhere.

"It was just like a bomb had hit the place."

(Bath Chronicle)

Soldier toy disarmed at airport

A doll caused a security alert at an American airport because its two-inch plastic gun was considered a dangerous weapon.
Judy Powell, 55, from Walton on the Hill, Surrey, bought the GI Joe toy in Las Vegas and packed it in her hand luggage.

But security staff at Los Angeles International Airport refused to let Mrs Powell on board the plane with the replica rifle.

Mrs Powell had to put the gift - minus the rifle - in her suitcase so it could go in the aircraft's hold.

Mrs Powell said: "I was simply stunned when I realised they were serious.

"Security examined the toy as if it was going to shoot them and looked at the rifle.

"I was really angry to start with because of the absurdity of the situation.

"But then I saw the funny side of it and thought this was simple lunacy."

A spokesman for Los Angeles International Airport said: "We have instructions to confiscate anything that looks like a weapon or a replica.

"If GI Joe was carrying a replica then it had to be taken from him."

BBC

Epileptic ordered to pay £3,500 for contorted face

By Auslan Cramb, Scotland Correspondent
(Filed: 09/09/2002)

A man who suffers from epilepsy has been ordered to pay compensation to a student who was upset by his contorted face during a seizure.

In a case described by an epilepsy charity as "like something you would see on the Ally McBeal show", Edwin Young has been told to pay £3,500 to Yvonne Rennie for the mild post-traumatic stress that she suffered.

Mrs Rennie sued after Mr Young suffered an epileptic fit while driving four years ago and crashed into her car at traffic lights in Perth.

In a written judgment, Sheriff Michael Fletcher, at Perth sheriff court, accepted that she was upset by the look on Mr Young's face.

He said: "The defender suffered an epileptic fit and lost control of his vehicle. As a result of the fit, his face was contorted and this led the pursuer to believe that he was having a heart attack and was dying. Passers-by removed the defender from his car and placed him on the pavement to render him assistance. The sight of the defender lying on the pavement upset the pursuer."

The sheriff awarded a total of £6,000 compensation, including £1,500 for Mrs Rennie's slight injuries and £1,000 for the fear of driving that she had developed.

Epilepsy Action Scotland described the case as "bizarre".

Referring to the Ally McBeal television show, a spokesman said: "I have never come across anything like this. It is just extraordinary. Does this mean that you can sue someone having a heart attack? Anyone who goes to a football match on a Saturday could see that happen."

Mr Young and Mrs Rennie, both from Perth, refused to comment on the outcome of the case.

(Telegraph)

Originally posted by Crazy Eddie
Soldier toy disarmed at airport

A doll caused a security alert at an American airport because its two-inch plastic gun was considered a dangerous weapon.
Judy Powell, 55, from Walton on the Hill, Surrey, bought the GI Joe toy in Las Vegas and packed it in her hand luggage.

But security staff at Los Angeles International Airport refused to let Mrs Powell on board the plane with the replica rifle.

Mrs Powell had to put the gift - minus the rifle - in her suitcase so it could go in the aircraft's hold.

Mrs Powell said: "I was simply stunned when I realised they were serious.

"Security examined the toy as if it was going to shoot them and looked at the rifle.

"I was really angry to start with because of the absurdity of the situation.

"But then I saw the funny side of it and thought this was simple lunacy."

A spokesman for Los Angeles International Airport said: "We have instructions to confiscate anything that looks like a weapon or a replica.

"If GI Joe was carrying a replica then it had to be taken from him."

BBC

I read that one in the National Rifle Associtacion magazine. Those aircraft security people are so silly! (maybe that's to light a word)

Not really. The CIA has invented [during the Cold War] guns that are disguised as ballpoint pens and shoot real bullets, fake cameras that are actually pistols, etc.

Given the two options of:
a) Security guards are so smart that they will confiscate items that might be dangerous disguised weapons
b) Security guards are so dumb that if their list of banned items includes "guns" they will confiscate a gun even if it's only a 2" plastic toy gun
I know which I think is more likely...

you should have known this one would come, The pen is mighter than the sword (rimshot). OK i'm sorry that was just plain aufful.

Top Bottom