1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Stability maps

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Dennis Laursen, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Dennis Laursen

Dennis Laursen Chieftain

Even though I am very interested in history, I cannot find out all of the stability maps 100 %, without search on the civilizations history.
    But some stability maps did I find very strange and/or funny!

America
    Random places in Europe are yellow, and some of Yugoslavia is light green. I maybe understand Yugoslavia, because of the war in 1990's. But then Iraq and Afghanistan also have to be light green, concerning to the current wars.
    And why is the island between Japan and Taiwan light green?
    Yellow Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea neither make sense for me.

France at Brazil and Australia?

Japan in Vancouver?

Rome in the New World :crazyeye:
    Light green zones at Buenos Aires, Halifax and Quebec territory.

Light green Cuba for Russia! :p

VIKINGS! - in Italy...

And finally, the strangest one, Germany :eek:
    I understand Namibia is light green, since Germany have a colony there.
    But some of West Germany is red.
    Random yellow and light green areas in Michigan, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and a bit of Canada.
    Venezuela also light green.
    And why are Sweden and and a half Italy yellow?
    Does not makes sense for me!

2. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Chieftain

Nice thread, I've always wondered why Split/Ragusa is safe on the American stability map.

As for some of your qualms, I'll try to address them the best I can:

The island between Japan and Taiwan is Okinawa. I'm certain there's a major permanent American military presence there, or at least there was until all those incidents involving U.S servicemen on the island :p

Liberia was founded by Black American freed slaves in 1820, the city name Monrovia derives from the name of James Monroe.

I have no clue about Jap Vancouver.

The Roman spots in Argentina/Uruguay are supposed to be some odd Genoan colony? Correct me if I'm wrong on this one. No clue for the Canada spots.

Viking safe zone on the Italian peninsula I think are supposed to represent the Norman conquests of southern Italy, which makes it odd that Normandy's red.

For Germany, I have some personal experience with this one. I'm from east texas, where a huge portion of the immigrant population during the 19th century was German. Every school I've gone to has had a German name. Schultz, Klein, Hildebrandt. There are even some small pockets of ESL at-home German speakers in some of the towns a little to the west, along with dual German-English newspapers that only began dying out in the Eighties. There's even a town that was founded by some German prince in the 1840's, New Braunfels, while Texas was independent. The Germanic contribution to what is the classic image of Texas is as key as the Anglo and Hispanic.

3. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Usually there's a historic reason if it's green, and if it's not (like Normandy for Vikings) it's because of gameplay reasons.
    France had
    Vancouver is green I think because Rhye wanted Japan to expand to the US for gameplay.
    Rome may also represent Italy...except when Ethiopia is concerned (for gameplay reasons).
    Cuba-Russia obviously for the Communists. (Cuban missile crisis)
    The yellow European parts for Germany probably represents Nazi-controlled or Nazi-affiliated countries, or at least not anti-Nazi countries. Half of "West Germany" is red because of the Dutch and Vikings.
    http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/australianhistory/
    "This period of European exploration is reflected in the names of landmarks such as the Torres Strait, Arnhem Land, Dampier Sound, Tasmania, the Furneaux Islands, Cape Frecinyet and La Perouse. French expeditions between 1790 and the 1830s, led by D'Entrecasteaux, Baudin, and Furneaux, were recorded by the naturalists Labillardière and Péron."
    Read up on those colonies in wikipedia--good way to learn history. (I learned about French Guiana that way)

4. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

Large swathes of Italy were part of the Holy Roman Empire. Sweden probably has something to do with WW2.

5. Llama231

Llama231 Chieftain

The strangest part about these maps is Kiev, I would have to say. For all civs but the Viking and Russia, it is red, so it must be in a core area, even being yellow for the Vikings. However, it is ORANGE for Russia, which makes absolutely no sense, as even if it were not in Russia's core (which it should be) it should be red or yellow, not orange.
    Kiev is just so awesome, it has its own core area! :D

There is also a similar (but relatively unimportant) occurrence exists east of the Andes around Ecuador/Peru, where it is red for all, including the Inca, who in turn have a really sad core area. O.o

6. AnotherPacifist

Kievan Rus'?
    Amazonian tribes?

7. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

The German spot in Venezuela is due to the Habsburg colony of Klein-Venedig, which existed in the area for a short period in the 16th Century. The Vikings get southern Italy because of the Norman kingdoms in Sicily, Cuba is green for Russia because it's communist, and Rome's new world settlements are probably areas of high Italian population or something. The French zone in Brazil would be France Antarctique, some sort of fort or colony that was there before Portugal took control of the area. Liberia is yellow for America because it was originally settled by African-American slaves leaving the United States.

8. strangestranger

strangestranger Chieftain

The American Map is the weirdest of them all. You've got bits of WW2 occuped-countries (France, Italy, Germany, Norway), bits of countries affected by international actions (Ex-Yugoslavia), and the odds spots in England and Turkey.

For the French Brazilian Colonies:
    France Equinoxiale
    France Antartique

For Rome, it must be for gameplay reasons. It gives an incentive to a surviving A.I. Rome to colonize America.

Viking in South Italy is normal. Norman Kingdom of Sicily.
    What is weird is that Normandy itself is Red!!! :crazyeye:

West Germany is red to give breathing space to the Dutch.
    The North American Germans areas are, I think, to represent significant German minorities. There's also "Little Germany" in there...
    Venezuela is green because of the Klein-Venedig Austrian colony.
    As for Italy, the yellow territory is the territory of the Italian Social Republic, a puppet of Germany in the end of WW2.
    Sweden is probably yellow to represent its pro-german stance during WW2. Oh, and to help Germany to complete it's UHV.

9. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Chieftain

I played a game of 600AD France last night, and in 1848 Rome secedes. But it took Marseille with it??????? That is some bull, look at the map above, it's dark green for France!

10. strangestranger

strangestranger Chieftain

It is dark green for both, actually.

11. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Of course Iraq should be red for America. You see US occupied Iraq several years ago, and now they are shaky/unstable/collapsing.

12. datu_urbiztondo

datu_urbiztondo Banned

America should have at least yellow stability on the Philippine Island because we used to be part of the USA. Guam should have green stability.

The Spanish should have yellow stability in Taiwan too.

Japan shouldn't have any stability in Indonesia, Borneo, and Solomon Islands, but I think they should have at least some stability in Indochina. Same as the Chinese, they should have at least yellow or light green stability in Indochina and the Philippines. Laowo should be renamed to Meian or the Hokkien word Mi'gan.

Lastly, I think the turks should have some good stability around Central Asia.

13. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

As people have pointed out there usual is a historical reason for every bit of the stability maps. But they are very inconsistent. Germany gets vast swathes of North America in yellow and green because of German emigration to those areas, but England only gets half of the Thirteen Colonies? It would have been better if there was a consistent rule, so you could rely on historical knowledge to know where to settle and not have to keep checking the wiki (or before Rhye made the maps available, just guess).

14. Llama231

Llama231 Chieftain

The US is by no means unstable, when was the last time your heard of something wanting to rebel from it? Their economy is still quite spiffy; expansion is perfectly historical expect for the middle east; foreign may not be to spiffy, but they have not razed or whipped anything is quite a while; cities are not raging; civics are almost perfect. Shakey at worst.
    Cities: 3
    Civics: 5
    Economy: 4 or 5
    Expansion: 4 (Only because of the Middle East)
    Foreign: 3
    This looks pretty stable to me.

15. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Chieftain

I'm thinking we should all come together and analyze every country every year or so thoroughly, and give a report on national stability with a similar sort of 5-part aggregate as Llama just did with the U.S above me. Call it the "Rhye's Annual Global Stability Report" :p

16. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

17. AnotherPacifist

I would put it completely differently:

Cities: 2 (Detroit is shrinking, cities are running out money and possibly have to declare bankruptcy (e.g. Harrisburg, PA). People are unhappy because corporations aren't hiring even though they sit on loads of cash)
    Civics: 2 (too many cities and not enough universal suffrage, and the old-fashioned Senate is exactly why Representation produces :mad: Some people want to go back to the old way of choosing Senators, i.e. not by direct voting. And don't you know we have a Christian theocracy despite supposedly free religion? :lol: )
    Economy: 1 (remember it's the expansion that counts, not the absolute economy)
    Expansion: 4 (just went from 3 because we "liberated" Iraq back to itself, and hopefully will go to 5 when we leave Afghanistan)
    Foreign: 2 (Wikileaks and the Bush years did all the damage)

So we're close to collapsing.:king:

18. Leoreth

Leoreth Space Ranger Moderator

Call me when there's diplomatic relations to establish with the Confederation :lol:

19. AnotherPacifist

More likely, we'll just splinter into 50 little independent and barbarian states, if the Tea Baggers have their way.:lol:

20. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Chieftain

Meh, I'd say it's nominally Free Religion, we just like spamming Christian Missionaries.