Strange Starting Continent proportion

Tirerndil

Chieftain
My first game of Civ 6, I'm playing as America on a standard size continents maps. 100+ turns in and I've met a whole bunch of City-States but no other Civs. I'm thinking to myself, this is really strange.

It turns out that I was on the southern tip of the slightly larger of the two landmasses and the only other Civ present on the continent was China on the far northern side. Also about 80% of the City States were on my home continent.

The other smaller landmass had the other six Civs! And I think only a couple City states!

It was a strange distribution. I ended up winning a culture victory a little past turn 300.

I've noticed the city state distribution is a little wonky sometimes too. My current game is actually a really interesting map. The continent I'm on has one good sized chunk of land on the west, shared by myself and one other Civ. Our part of the continent is connected to another one a little smaller by two landbridges on the north, 1x and 2x tiles wide. That mass is connected to another one, again containing one civ by another 1 tile landbridge.

It's almost like a large islands setup, with each island connected by a tiny landbridge.

Anyway, I've explored what I think is ~75% of this landmass, and it appears to have ZERO city states, and 4 civs. All the city states I've found so far are either on their own small islands, or on another landmass with all or most of the remaining civs (large size map).

I'm actually really enjoying this map and its weird layout though. mountains and rivers are extremely rare (there are two rivers among the 4 civs I can see all or most of so far, and 2 mountains. Not 2 mountain ranges, two mountain tiles. Boatloads of amenities, and a healthy number of strategic resources to go around though. Makes city placement very interesting, with plentiful resources, lots of chokepoints, and minimal river/fresh water.

Top Bottom