Strange triggering of golden age with wonders

I was playing vanilla Civ3 in a game setup as totally random. I was given the Americans to play, and was in the Middle Ages trying to trigger a Golden Age by building a wonder. As I understand it, you can trigger a golden age with a wonder if its properties match that of your civilization. This doesn't exactly work, though, because I had built the Hanging Gardens, which is supposedly an industrious wonder, but this did not trigger a golden age. Instead, I got around to building Leonardo's Workshop and Forbidden Palace at the same time and this somehow triggered my golden age.

What gives? Leonardo's workshop is a militaristic wonder so this shouldn't cause a golden age for Americans.

A Wonder GA is triggered when you build a Great Wonder, and have Wonders matching both of your traits. The Hanging Garden fulfills the Industrious requirement for America, but not the Expansionistic one.

Leo's doesn't fulfill it either, and the FP is a Small Wonder, so what happened, presumably, was that you had conquered an Expansionistic Great Wonder at some earlier point; you already had the requirements, but needed to finish a GA of your own to get the test.

It's true I had also conquered the Chinese who owned the Colossus, but that was a couple of turns before. What's with the delay?

That's it, then. Conquering wonders which fulfill your traits will not trigger a golden age - until you build another wonder yourself. As soon as you do build a wonder, it checks to see which traits are fulfilled by wonders you own, and if both of them are, it triggers your golden age.

Originally posted by Halcyon
That's it, then. Conquering wonders which fulfill your traits will not trigger a golden age - until you build another wonder yourself. As soon as you do build a wonder, it checks to see which traits are fulfilled by wonders you own, and if both of them are, it triggers your golden age.
Wow nice summary. Something new I learn here. :thanx:

How fun it is, to find this info in 2018.
I was England and captured the Mongol city of Karakorum which had the Colossus.
Many turns later I complete the Great Wonder of Copernicus Observatory and get my GA triggered... which I didn't understand.

So one google search later brings me to this almost 14 year old thread... THANKS! I did not know this.

Top Bottom