STRAT Resources

ellie

Emperor
Do these only appear once on a map when tech discovered or can more pop up later?.

In my last game there seems to be a coal free world, searching everywhere (pangea map) but no luck....control 1/4 to 1/3 of the world and none on mine or any others terrority it seems.

Kinda seems silly to have a resource quite so scarce?.

The number of resources is constant. They may deplete, but they instantly appear somewhere else on the map.

If you use a tiny map with max. water setting, it's possible that there's not enough suitable terrain for the coal to respawn.

Nice corollary. ;)

There must, of course, be available tiles (for coal: jungle, hills, mountains) for the resource to appear again.

The coal could also be hidden under a city.
You can check through your foreign advisor to see if any one has it but if they haven't discovered the tech yet it won't show when you talk to them.

If you press Ctrl-Shift-M you get the "clean map view" which will reveal if there are resources under cities (once you have the tech to see them).

The clean map view is very useful for finding resources as the AI often puts cities on them. Let's face it, it's a much more secure way of stopping others from pillaging that resource tile.

On the subject of disappearing resources, I've played several games where I've had a resource deplete and then reappear on the same tile that same turn. In such cases I've been unable to complete my curse before the smile returns to my face.:)

In case you're interested, this post shows the probability of resources depleting. Oh, and you don't need to worry about clearing jungle before getting Steam. Coal could appear on any tile that was originally jungle. Clearing it before getting the required tech does not mean that you won't get coal there at some point in the future.

Cheers for the clean map tip!

found some in enemy land and took by force

was cursing the game over it..but can see why its 'strategic ' now.

ellie said:
Cheers for the clean map tip!

Related tip:
Ctrl-Shift-N is "clean map preferences" where you can choose what is taken away in clean map mode. (eg. I like to still see the cultural borders).

Top Bottom