1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategic mode only startup

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by homan1983, Sep 24, 2016.

1. m15a

m15a Emperor

It'd be a nice option if the game could be 100% playable in strategic mode only and if that would actually make the game work on lower spec computers. I don't know if that'd be the case, and if nothing else, I would think it should be not officially supported. If the computer is below specs, they can't really be expected to ensure it'll work. And lowering the specs to those needed by strategic-only mode would be confusing and would likely anger the less-informed player that might not realize that they wouldn't be able to play with the standard 3D graphics that have been widely publicized.

Honestly, even though I'm pretty disappointed I won't be able to play Civ VI for a while, I don't think this option would convince me to buy the game. I'd still feel like I was missing out on too much of the game experience.

But all that said. If it kinda works without much effort, sure, toss that option in as backup that only will be known by people specifically seeking out how to play the game with lower specs in strategic mode.

2. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

bitmapped? what is this, the 90's?

also, you stated 2D Sprites more than once, so yeah, you're off by a decade or two of graphics tech. 2D art can be done with something other than bitmaps.

'will run', 'can be done'. did you even read your own sentence? the dx 11 is for the GAME. It likely would just fail and crash on a sub dx 11 graphics card because the required shaders/etc wouldn't exist. the 2D map inside the game isn't the only thing that is graphical. And if you think that all 2D games are exactly alike in their graphics card requirements, you're also wrong. Technology on those cards change, drivers get added, etc etc.

3. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

Do you sometimes wish you are a Gymnast ? ;)

Thanx for the :lol::lol: regardless :)

On Topic

Sounds amazing if you could get it work like that, id so play that on a tablet(assuming it can keep up with the turns :). It exceedingly beautiful

4. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

So that wording wasn't correct after all? What's the correct version? :D

/edit: Ahh... oh, yeah, I'm dumb. :D "flip the switch", the words are meant to be used the other way around.

5. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

Something I just noticed about the screenshot in the OP -- people have talked about how the borders in 3D mode are boring geometric lines, but in the strategic view they are a bit more like the dynamic wiggly borders of Civ5. But if you look closely you can see the hex grid is overlaid on the map and each hex has random borders that wiggle arbitrarily, and the nation borders just follow those. To me, that weakens the assumption that 3D mode will be getting wiggly nation borders.

6. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Strategic view looks so good that I would play in it just for the sake of it, even though my PC is more than capable of running the game normally. The only minor complain for now is that city banners look out of place. Knowing my autistic levels of obsession, it will probably be enough to keep me from playing in it because of that :crazyeye:

7. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Running in strategic mode if you have a really outdated graphics card is all very well, but things could get messy if the diplomacy screen still tries to load the full 3d leader animation.
    There would also have to be an alternative to (or a way to disable) the wonder completion 'movies' if they automatically switched to full 3D mode.

8. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

There could be static image placeholder for leader screens as an option.

However, as MadDjinn correctly pointed, if the game minimal requirements list DX11 card, this means the game actually uses DX11 to draw things, regardless of the mode. Too outdated graphic card could be a problem anyway. Modern low-end cards are better.

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

Like so?

Seek and thecrazyscot like this.
  10. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Neat! It's so nice to see an option like that in such an early build.

11. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Nice catch! Awesome this is included, my laptop is more than good enough but am considering buying a tablet too. This might even make it playable on a Surface Pro or similar.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I have a Pro 4. I will try it on release and report back.

13. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Awesome :)

I tried to check the specs on game-debate.com, and in theory it should work (although barely). But I do remember people saying that CiV was a nightmare on tablets with crashes, poor performance etc.

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Yeah, I'll be trying to run it on a pretty old laptop.

intel core i3-2310m @2.1ghz
    4 gb RAM
    5500 RPM HDD
    Intel HD graphics 3000

Unsure if it will work, but if anyone's interested in results message me and i'll let you know on release day.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yeah, I can't run V on my Pro. It crashes after a dozen turns or so regardless of map size. Although I never did try to run it exclusively on strategic mode.

16. Haggbart

Haggbart King

*Humming tune of Mission Impossible* :badcomp:

17. Ovarwa

Ovarwa Chieftain

Please just post your experience! My laptop has somewhat better specs, yet also has HD3000. I'm pretty sure we're far from alone in this.

Anyway,

Ken

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

I'll do my best to remember, but I can be pretty forgetful :confused::old::hammer2::dunno: