Strategic or Lux?

againsttheflow

unpolitically uncorrect
And a bunch of questions regarding them.

I'm trying to get the AI to attack a heavily defended city that they often bypass. I've decided to put a resource under it but would like to know if the AI will go for one kind more than another? Would it help if I assigned a powerful unit that required this resource? I could assign it whether it was strategic or luxury but will the AI recognize a luxury resource's strategic values? Also, does it help if I give the resource a bunch of terrain bonus'? If I assign a luxery will the AI's choice be affected by the number they already have and/or marketplaces?

Thanks in advance :)

Hmm, no ideas huh? Maybe I'll run a test...

you could also fortify all the other cities more heavy... >_<

but I also guess that what Oz said, if they need the strategic recource they will go for it, and I guess if they have alot of unhappy faces and you have a luxury with nice extra bonuses, they'd go for it too.

I don't know this for sure, you'd have to run a test...

I was wondering if I could get the best of both worlds by making a luxery that was needed to make unit ala ivory for ToZ but haven't had time to try yet... maybe tonight.

I was wondering if I could get the best of both worlds by making a luxery that was needed to make unit ala ivory for ToZ but haven't had time to try yet... maybe tonight.

If it's required to make anything, it's by definition a Strategic Resource.

Best,

Oz

Yes but do the AI know that? I would be glad to hear it.

Err... I guess you're not quite catching my drift Ozzy. :D What I mean to ask is does the AI recognize the strategic value of a luxery rescource? (reffering to the fact that you can make a unit require a luxery)

Err... I guess you're not quite catching my drift Ozzy. :D What I mean to ask is does the AI recognize the strategic value of a luxery rescource? (reffering to the fact that you can make a unit require a luxery)

I'm not certain, but I believe the AI will only "recognize" a resource as Strategic if it's marked that way in the editor, but I could well be mistaken given (as you point out) that Luxuries can be prerequisites.

... Ah, another well-documented mystery ...

Best,

Oz

I'd guess the best bet would be to place a strategic resource in the city tile which the AI needs but is in short supply.

-Oz

This, and you could also try to make the city a choke-point. So the enemy would have to capture the city to move on into your empire.

Like make the surrounding terrain impassable or make it water. You get the idea.

I believe IF a Resource (Bonus or Luxury) is set as a Prerequisite, the AI "Knows" it is Required for the Unit it is set for. Flagging a Unit with a Prerequisite Resource in the Editor "tells" the AI.
A Good way to make sure the AI will go for a particular City is to set a Required Resource that is one of a kind (or at least in short supply) there.

I'm not certain, but I believe the AI will only "recognize" a resource as Strategic if it's marked that way in the editor, but I could well be mistaken given (as you point out) that Luxuries can be prerequisites.

... Ah, another well-documented mystery ...

Best,

Oz
K thanks Oz,

This, and you could also try to make the city a choke-point. So the enemy would have to capture the city to move on into your empire.

Like make the surrounding terrain impassable or make it water. You get the idea.

Thanks Tank guy but long story short there is no way it would work in this case. I'm working on a patch for a third age LotR scenario--probably the best ever made--and the city happens to be Minas Tirith. You get the picture.

Vuldacon, the resource would be unique (only one). I'm hoping what you say about them recoginzing it for it's unit value is correct.

Bear in mind that the AI will recognise the strategic importance of a resource even if the resource is impossible to use. To explain - If you have an era-none tech that no-one starts with and no-one can research, make the tech prerequisite for a strategic resource, then make the strategic resource prerequisite for a powerful unit that everyone can build, then put that resource under Minas Tirith, then I recon the AI would attack Minas Tirith. The AI knows where resources are, even when they don't have the tech required to discover it (one of the cheats that the AI gets to enable it to cope with human players). The AI is also not smart enough to recognise that it will never be able to use that resource since it can't research the tech necessary.

Another possibility is to put a VP under the city. Have you tried that?

In other news - my new computer arrives tomorrow. :) I can finally get off this laptop and install civ 3 again.
Months of no modding makes Keroro sad. :(

Bear in mind that the AI will recognise the strategic importance of a resource even if the resource is impossible to use. To explain - If you have an era-none tech that no-one starts with and no-one can research, make the tech prerequisite for a strategic resource, then make the strategic resource prerequisite for a powerful unit that everyone can build, then put that resource under Minas Tirith, then I recon the AI would attack Minas Tirith. The AI knows where resources are, even when they don't have the tech required to discover it (one of the cheats that the AI gets to enable it to cope with human players). The AI is also not smart enough to recognise that it will never be able to use that resource since it can't research the tech necessary.

Another possibility is to put a VP under the city. Have you tried that?

In other news - my new computer arrives tomorrow. :) I can finally get off this laptop and install civ 3 again.
Months of no modding makes Keroro sad. :(

Good news about the comp. :) I've been awaiting you're scenario for about as long as I've been here. :coffee:...:coffee:....:coffee:.....

The tech req ploy is interesting to know but I might not use it for this since if Minas Tirith goes down all the good guys are mostly doomed anyway. OTOH though, I just might... VPs are out of the question since it is reverse capture the flag w/ Frodo and/or Sam trying to get to Mt. Doom which of course does have one. Volcanos are only passable by wheeled units and Frodo and Sam are the only non-wheeled, if the enemy captures it they can take it to Barad-dur, the only other VP location. So yeah...

Vuldacon, that's exactly what I wanted to know, the only question I've got left is will anything make it more enticing? Is there something they like better about strategic than lux assuming either would be assigned to the unit? How bout terrain bonus'?

The AI uses Programming to "Like" anything. The AI has no Feelings. IF you set a resource as a Requirement for an improved Unit the AI Needs, the AI will go for it. They will also tend to at least keep a building that offers a needed Resource and better terrain bonuses are attractive but not exactly Enticing. As Far as enticing the AI with Terrain Bonuses, this does not seem to cause the AI to go for a building as it does a required resource. That said, it would not hurt to add a terrain bonus, I just do not believe it will cause the AI to go for the Building beyond the Required Resource. A Required Resource they need is the best way. Normally it is Strategic Resources that the Game uses for Units but because we can set Luxury Resources as Requirements, the AI will go for them the same as they would a Strategic Resource. Think of all of this as Requirements set in the Editor and you will understand what the AI "Likes" or wants.

Top Bottom