Strategic Resources Question

andrewlt

Prince
I know that strategic resources are created when the map is initially created. What I'm wondering is if I start clearing forests, jungles and marshland before I discover the required technologies, will they still be there after I discover them? I'm playing a new game and I'm still in the ancient age. What I'm worried about is if I start clearing the forests, jungles and marshland in my territories, the resources that are supposed to be in my territory might be gone.

Yes, it will still be there until you 'find' it.

Now, if you change forest to grassland, you can't have uranium be discovered there when it disappears off of it's tile later in the game.

Turner_727 said:
Yes, it will still be there until you 'find' it.

Now, if you change forest to grassland, you can't have uranium be discovered there when it disappears off of it's tile later in the game.

:hmm:

The first bit makes sense, It will be where it was at the creation of the map.

For the second point, do the resources reappear somewhere else when one of them is exuasted?

Yes. If a map starts out with 15 iron, you will always be able to find 15 iron on the map. When it's depleted in one spot, it will appear in another. And it is possible for it to reappear on the spot it just disappeared from.

Randomly? After one is depleted (iron lets say) another iron reapears randomly on the map? it works with custom maps too? what if there is only one hill with iron and iron gets depleted will it reapear on that same hill (all map is grassland by the way)?

Lonkut said:
Randomly?
Yup. Randomly.
Lonkut said:
After one is depleted (iron lets say) another iron reapears randomly on the map?
Yup. that's correct.
Lonkut said:
it works with custom maps too?
Yes, it works with custom maps too. You can also change the resource frequency and the chance of disappearance in the editor.
Lonkut said:
what if there is only one hill with iron and iron gets depleted will it reapear on that same hill (all map is grassland by the way)?
I've never tried it that way, but based upon my experience, it would do that.

Do this.

Create a really small map. Make it one AI civ you're against. Make yourself a town, and seperate them by water. (so the AI doesn't rush you too quickly.) Make sure you're expanionist, and load your side of the map with goody huts. Take your scout, and trip the huts. Take your worker and start roading to the mountain tile right next to your city so you can hook up the only source of Iron. Change the disappearnce ration from 100 to, oh, 1 or 5 or so. Turn debug on, so you can see the whole map, and watch what happens.

Top Bottom