1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategic Timber V. 1.05

Lumber Mills now have strategic value. Timber is a new resource required to build many units.

1. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

UncivilizedGuy submitted a new resource: Strategic Timber -

Strategic Timber

Timber is now a Strategic Resource!

Available at The Wheel and produced by the Lumber Mill.

Lumber Mill moved to The Wheel.

Lumber Mills can no longer be constructed adjacent to each other to keep Timber quantities from getting out of control.

Lumber Mill Production yields have been doubled to compensate for the adjacency prohibition.

Consumed by early units including:
    Siege Units: Catapult, Battering Ram, Siege Tower
    Naval Units: Galley, Quadrireme, Caravel, Frigate, Privateer
    Aircraft: Biplane

Also available on Steam.

This is designed to work in conjuction with Strategic Industry.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. UncivilizedGuy

3. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

I was actually thinking about doing something like this! I assume you need 2 to build the timber units in cities without an encampment/harbor and only 1 to upgrade or build in cities with the appropriate district?

Is it possible to make units each use up 1 unit, like the Civ5 system?

4. UncivilizedGuy

If the Civ 5 system was possible, believe me I would be using it. In Civ5 I was able to require multiple resources for each unit. Unfortunately we can't do that here. The code simply doesn't allow for it. Although if you use LeeS's terrain mods it is possible to have more requirements. I decided to keep things simple here though.

Yes Timber works the same way as other strategic resources. But to be honest it is much easier to get since forests are everywhere. I attempted to produce 1/2 Timber per improvement but it didn't work for some reason. I could make it so that Lumber Mills can't be adjacent to each other. I might consider that if things are too easy.

5. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

What about making Timber appear the same way other resources do, during map generation. It goes on some forest plots and basically indicates Timber that is really good for these purposes. Making Lumber Mills non-adjacent would change normal lumber mills =(

6. UncivilizedGuy

I believe someone has already done that. Making lumber mills nonadjacent wouldn't hurt much. Remember we are getting production from Timber now. I could easily increase the yields of the mills if I wanted to.

7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

Do you get production? There's no actual Timber on the plot, so where does the production come from?

I meant that changing lumber mills more affects other mods.

8. UncivilizedGuy

9. UncivilizedGuy

I did a play through and my Timber quantity was insane.

So I updated this and Lumber Mills can no longer be constructed adjacent to each other. I compensated for this by doubling the production yields.

I think your right about the Timber production yield. It doesn't seem to add to the city total. But that's ok, the extra production is unnecessary in my opinion.

If the new changes affect other mods please let me know and I will see what I can do.

10. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

Yeah I agree the Timber quantity is way too much, it is basically a non-issue. I think making it rare would be nice, forcing you to find areas for good timber specifically so you can build fleets.

One thing Civ6 does worse than Civ5 is that I have no need to expand to a specific spot to get more of a strategic resource. Not that 5 did it particularly well, and there are benefits to the 6 system (encampments have a very useful function).

11. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy updated Strategic Timber with a new update entry:

Fixed river adjacency yield

Read the rest of this update entry...

12. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy updated Strategic Timber with a new update entry:

Timber can no longer be traded.

Read the rest of this update entry...

13. UncivilizedGuy