1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategic victory for Huawei.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Silurian, May 20, 2019.

1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Sure, but lumping Microsoft and Apple in with Facebook is laughable.

You kinda do. I don't like Oracle, but I don't go around calling them Poopracle and alleging that they're killing my dog.

Again, sure, but not especially relevant to the current or recent organization.

Microsoft killed my Pappy

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Perfection likes this.
  2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I for one will be referring to Oracle as Poopracle from now on.

Hygro likes this.
  3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Did they kill your dog too?
    Does their Canineicidal evil know no bounds?

4. Perfection

I can't prove they didn't.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

This is very stupid and far beneath you. Of course the Chinese government and Huawei are not beyond criticism. But there is a difference between principled criticism and ignorant or partisan criticism.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It's true they've been relatively quiet in recent years compared to the others, so I mostly agree they don't belong with more obvious cretins like Facebook/Google.

But I think you're overestimating the threshold required for calling a company a name as such. Civ 5 release earned the "Failaxis" title for example, no conspiracy or security breach required. "Tin foil" usually implies a belief in some conspiracy or such, as opposed to a belief that the product in question is crappy.

I'm fine calling them Microcrap just because of their recent online gaming policy/posturing regarding xbox. All they had to do was basically nothing and they'd have beaten the self-imploding Sony, but no. We have to bring selectively applied social justice to an online gaming platform where people can freely mute each other at a whim, because reasons. PC master race even more so than before!

7. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Are you referring to the like, xbox live community standards released earlier this month?

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yes. I'm referring to those. There are some obviously valid parts to the standards. People shouldn't be breaking laws or trying to bypass a block/mute to harass someone. Same for fraud and a few other categories, like ddos/using 3rd party software/hacking games. I'm pretty sure these violated ToS 10+ years ago also. There's also idiocy like

• "don't post game clips that will offend many others" --> how is this reasonably anticipated? How does this differ from say, streaming the game? If I tbag someone and post it as a clip, is this ban worthy? It is if MS says so.
    • "don't name a club after a highly controversial figure" --> though some people will be more "controversial" than others, and I doubt there will be an objective standard
    • "don't promote controversial politics" --> isn't this nearly *all* politics? I bet not when it comes time to enforce though
    • "use profile pic with imagery similar to hate groups" --> I'm already feeling the ***** "okay" sign vibes.
    • "don't use a picture that's actually appropriate, but someone might misinterpret it as inappropriate" --> lulwut. Same goes for "double entendres", and "things people may consider inappropriate". This is umbrella language and all but guarantees uneven enforcement. Contrast this with say rules against nudes, IRL graphic violence, or threatening people with violence, which have objective standards.
    • Using a VPN can violate the "standards"
    • You can be punished for playing with someone using unauthorized mods. Allegedly, you must be intentionally doing this. Guilt by association can suck one, and I'll put down money that they have no means of accurately assessing who knows/doesn't know about others doing this.
    • The standards get into the nebulous waters of "exploits" in games, and I have active disrespect for people who claim "exploit" without being able to provide self-consistent standards for what that means even in their own terms. But now this can be an enforceable offense.
    Violation of these can straight up get you blocked from playing MP, which for some games is the only relevant option or literally the only option.

So yeah, this kind of stuff is enough to call them Microcrap. That doesn't mean I consider them literally as bad as Facebook or the Chinese government. It just means I don't like what they're doing. But maybe they'd consider the use of such a term "inappropriate" or "trolling" :p.

9. Perfection

so my criticism was merely due to unprincipled partisan ignorance?

10. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I think mostly ignorance of the political reality of most US workplaces, and partisan loyalty to the United States. But I am not really sure. I also think your original disagreement with me probably just arose from slightly different takes on the word 'sociopathic.' My use of the word 'strategic' implied a focus on the actual long-term interests of China, as distinct from the purely nihilist omnicidal rampage of the global elite - but @hobbsyoyo was right to remind me that many members of the Chinese Communist Party are part of that elite, and CCP's totalitarian rule is facilitating that destruction no less than the Republicans in the US are.

11. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Oh, I now see my mistake. I thought you were posting outside the Humour and Jokes subforum, but you appear to be thinking that you are.
    Well, in my experience single-party parties don't let actual idealists progress very much lest they contaminate the leadership.

We must also get out of that interesting trick that governments play on us by getting us to use the name of the actual land/country/people they rule as their own.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I don't think that doing policy with the interests of your country in mind, as in realpolitik, is particularly 'idealist'. Maybe it is relative to the "burn it all down bc I'll be dead before I have to care", though - a scary thought.

13. Samson

Samson Warlord

What I have never heard is anyone spell out exactly what the risk is if indeed Huawei is indeed spying for the CCP? Surely all modern communication methods do not require trust in any intermediate nodes in your communication with the server, because with the internet you cannot know who these intermediate nodes are.

14. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

Everyone with a big budget spies a lot. Only when it is made technically and legally infeasible can this be avoided. As things stand all states around the world seem to have legislated already that telecoms must have the infrastructure in place for spying. Fighting crime, think of the children and the terrorists, you know the drill.

15. uppi

uppi Warlord

1) all unencrypted data. For example, an intranet might have plenty of unencrypted traffic because nobody bothered with encryption. If you connect several locations with a VPN, you don't need to trust the intermediate nodes. But you need to trust the VPN gateways, which could be from huawei.

2) gateways for other attacks. If you have control of a node deep inside a networks, you might be able to do attacks, which you wouldn't be able to do from outside

3) Metadata. Even if you are not able to look at the actual traffic, you can infer much from the information where people are and who they are talking to.

Samson likes this.
  16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Interesting article in the BBC regarding the position in Africa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48352011

17. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

They do not have to choose between them.

A third country can assemble pieces from both China and US, and thus evades the sanctions between them.

18. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Can you still buy Huawei in Hawaii? Because banning it from there would just be too much. :eek:

19. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Microcrap, Crapple, Facecrap, Poopracle, and my personal favorite, Diarroogle.

Perfection and caketastydelish like this.
  20. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

The last one sounds like a Final Fantasy creature with a gastrointestinal problem.