1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategic view now takes MORE processor power

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by borad, Sep 10, 2017.

1. borad

borad Chieftain

Until recently — probably till the Nubian update of this week — the simplified strategic view took overtly less processor (CPU) power to use than “normal view”. This made sense as it didn’t flap around with animations of every tiny detail. I used to flip to strategic view if I was away for a bit, as this resulted in a sharp drop in demand and put my trashcan Mac Pro into fan-not-audible mode.

I noticed today that is now reversed. I’m not sure if strategic view got much much worse, or whether normal view improved such that they effectively swapped positions.

(2560x1600 monitor, start of Macedonian scenario; yes, I’m behind. Processor use in normal view is affected by the level of zoom and detail on display, strategic view is not. At a middle zoom and not looking at a shrouded/unexplored area, strategic view now takes ~67% more processor. Even at full zoom out strategic view is still greedier. I also started a standard game with limited initial vision, and strategic view took 3 times as much processor as normal view.)

Anyone else?