1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategy dilemma - Backstab?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by snarzberry, Mar 14, 2012.

1. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

You're right, he denounced me as soon as the DoF expired as we expected. His army looks like a lot of lancers,cavalry and infantry from what I can see. He's been doing a big build up so no doubt he has targeted me. I have rocket artillery now so I don't care.

Here's the game at turn 200. All of the RAs matured, so that was a good result as I wasn't very confident that they'd go through. That would have delayed rocket artys somewhat. Cranking out the science now though...

At the end of the day, no real harm was caused by the backstab.

2. Thresian

Thresian Warlord

This is the sort of thing I really need to be doing in my MP games. Although in the last game I had good results bulbing the 9 techs to stealth.

3. Scars n Stripes

Scars n Stripes Chieftain

Wow.. This post should be re-titled to "how to make the map turn red and spread like cancer".

I'd be interested to see what you're capable of with a decent start if this was a bad one! Talk about major speedy GS creation and everything...

This game looks like a complete pushover for you - lets hope the new DLC will add some more challenge in the future!

4. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

In mp games it's better to pick 1 or 2 gs for rifles and/or cannons depending if you built the PT or built the GL. Then 1 or 2 more(with oxford if possible) for artillery. These 2 steps are critical in mp games and can turn the game at your advantage in no time...especially at quick speed where units can obsolete pretty fast. My next FFA EPIC GAME will show this.

@ OP : Well snarz you know like me that the AI is pretty poor at combat and he acts like a weather vane :lol:

With such army, just kick their butt...DoF or not. Congratulations for your very dominant game. You should make vids in the near future.

5. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

wow, ended up being my best time for a non-mongolia domination win. This was completely unexpected to me when I was considering if I should invade the Iroquois. I'm glad now in retrospect that I broke that DoF, so thanks a lot to the people who urged me to do that :thumbsup: ....actually at the time I thought it was probably wrong but I suppose everything is easy in hindsight.

Haven't played a lot of Persia before this game, a little bit here and there but I don't think I've actually won a deity dom game with them before this. The best part was using Persian artillery during golden ages. Move - set up - fire, over and over. Those things are deadly.

Scars n Stripes, I'd like it if every game I played was like this but actually deity level is still challenging for me. I lose more games than I win, this is just one where everything pretty much went perfectly.

6. DevilHell

DevilHell Warlord

Well as I'm a noob, I really don't imagine doing this by turn 200 on standard speed, so, AS I would say, you cheaty bastard
    Congratulations on your game, just for you to know, DoFs and DoWs are in the notification panel..

7. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

:lol: looking back now it's like what the hell was I worrying about?

cheers mate, I've never done LPs before I prefer to just post stuff on the boards. Don't know if I will one day, but anyway we have a brand new game coming in a couple of months so all of this is out the window. Bring on 100hp is all I can say.

8. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Yeah, I did something similar in my Arabia game. I knew I wanted to try clearing away two continent completely, so I didn't worry much about diplomatic consequences. I just made sure I stopped once in a while and play a defense war when I get DoW'd. Didn't do any RA, let alone DoF but it wouldn't have mattered anyways. I just made sure I played nice with the city-states since I depended heavily upon them. Next time, though, I'll learn not to get all those Arabian luxuries (35+) and no one to sell them to.

Nice job on getting modern that early. I had 6 GS at about the time you did but I delayed until I got Archealogy done, except the one I used early for Dynamite.

9. hazman79

hazman79 Chieftain

Congratulations, a storming victory. In no way do I assume any credit for encouraging you, but..."I'm an agent of Chaos" "disrupt the established order", "add a little anarchy (figuratively speaking of course)".

Political dexterity is important but nothing can substitute for raw, unassailable military power

10. ense7en

ense7en n7

What an incredible looking game!

That's some amazing science.

Looks like you absolutely steamrolled everyone with ease.

11. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

Yeah Persia is awfully fun for that last domination vic war push because of that. Rocket artillery + Mechs/Tanks + extra movement/strength really speeds up the slog.

That looked like a fun game, I can only pull off games like that on Emperor.

12. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

The only kind of tricky thing is getting a good number of immortals built before civil service while you're doing everything else and speeding towards education. The immortal rifles/infantry/mechs help to speed things up too. In this game I actually hard teched to stealth on about turn 210 and then bought 6 or 7 SBs for the last push against spain. That's how I reduced madrid's city strength so quickly. The ground troops just went in to cap it off at the end.