1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategy for Science Victory in 140 Turns or less

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by civtrader6, Oct 15, 2017.

1. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Hi everyone! Old faces and new faces alike. :)

First of all this is a great thread indeed, about the only useful one I've found. It's a pity that S&T section is somewhat deserted. Speaks volumes about the quality of the product of course, but I digress.
    I'm very new to Civ 6, barely played when it first came out and decided to give it another shot after a year + and some patches, which hopefully make it a bit less dull. But I am totally out of my depth here. I am trying to wrap my head around all the changes (relative to Civ5), most notably managing dozens of cities.
    Would any of you, kind souls, be able to provide some benchmarks? A timeline for key techs/civics, bpt/cpt and so on. Any milestone you consider significant. I am not aiming at 140t science victory just yet, but for a decent run and learning what's important and what not. Thanks in advance!

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Sure but it's not all cut and dried, it's not as straight forward as civ V, there is nothing as magical as the national college.

Pushing culture early so you can get a level 2 government by turn 50 is not easy but what you should have as a target. The extra card slots do help.

Feudalism makes your builders so much better getting there by T80 is also a target.

Science wise, early beelines are as follows but no cut and dried route

Knowing if you have or can get iron is a big decision maker in your game, many will push to iron working but only after getting animal husbandry because se archers are very strong... some go just slight to archery and if you have horses nearby going straight to horsemanship gives you a good edge.

Because production is so good getting to apprenticeship early is a beeline and is getting to machinery for great ranged troops as well as powerful lumber mills and placing a mill on a wooded forest next to a river is +2 despite saying +1.

You can get a very strong early navy beelining frigates, not often done but OP against coastal cities.

Regardless of where you beeline getting early troops and upgrading them with the professional army card at 50% is just so much better than building the higher level troops that beelining mercenaries after feudalism is common.

City wise civ VI is the opposite direction of V so getting as many settlers out early just makes your game strong, do not bother developing cities until you have a army attacking (ideally by turn 40) and lots of settlers out. Having more cities is strength in this game, especially combining an often placed district with lots of envoys at that type of city state. A fair target for cities is 10 by T 100 but good attacking play can more than double that n the right circumstances.

I like to try and have 15 envoys by T100, it's a good target.

CPT, SPT, GPT they are all so variable depending on circumstances out of your control. Just push culture any way you can early but maybe avoid theatres. Early science and commercial districts are best but do not start finishing them until army and settlers are done, both take priority.

The AI is fairly easy so warring is you main thing, the rest you can be a little lazy over.
    Knights are very strong and with a great general and a ram are OP. Discovering knights gets a eureka for getting feudalism so synchronising the 2 is great and maybe delay upgrading chariots to knight until mercenaries.

Chopping is so strong, just do it... have a look at the chopping example link in my signature.

There is so much but not much people all agree on Indicating choice based on playstyle victory. Conditions and difficulty level all count.

The Pilgrim likes this.
  3. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

What is fast ever science victory on standar map siz? Howabout deity?

4. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

Im really struggling with combat in this game, My units always seem to get one shotted by either enemy archers or the city itself. Do ye have any tips on how to initiate combat? How many horses for Alex should you have before attacking?

5. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

You dont attac atall when gong fro sceince. You turtle up and lauinch

6. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

"After starting war at around T30, I keep warring up until T100 or so. Later, only if I want to stop an annoying religion or hit a boost."

You clearly missed this part in the first post. The idea is to war to snowball the empire so you can turtle later.

7. Victoria

Attack hard and fast and don't stop until you feel you have enough cities. Even then you can wipe out weak civs so the average era increases.

8. antimony

antimony Warlord

Ideally you want 6 horse or knights with a ram to quickly take cities with walls. After walls are up, archers/crossbows are mostly for killing enemy units with focused fire. Before walls, you first kill units then deplete city HP with archers (the more the better, 8 is not too many), then use a warrior or scout to capture.

9. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

Thanks very much I was not sure how to attack the cities or how to deal with the units. What turn should I have the 6/8 horses by? 50/60?

10. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I've got a question I haven't seen discussed yet. Scout-Builder-Settler-Slingers is a great build order no doubt, but doesn't it leave you a bit vulnerable to barbarians in the very early game? Do you guys keep the scout AND the starting warrior near the capital just to defend barbs? I feel like if I ever move either one out further, a barb scout is guaranteed to pop up in the perfectly wrong place...and if there's horses nearby it's pretty much game over

11. Victoria

It's an ideal build and can be interrupted by a horde.
    The scout should ideally find 3 CS,a foreign continent and a natural wonder then come back and help with defence/attack, scouts are underrated and so flexible.

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Yeah that is my instinct...it's a scout, it should be scouting. Those eurekas are pretty obvious and worthwhile goals. But that leaves the barbs a good 10+ turn window to wreck everything...do you guys restart a lot of games?

13. Victoria

It's not that straight forward, tonight's game my scout comes across a Kongo settler and I immediately change to buildings no a warrior and bought a slinger.
    Restart? .. only after death which is not often.

14. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Understood, of course all plans must be flexible. But I still would like to know, what would you do in the specific situation I described?

Say it's around turn 12-15. You built a scout and he's long gone now. You're finishing up your worker or starting your settler. Your warrior is still nearby but a barb scout pops up on the other side from him, and there's nothing you can do. He reports back to his camp and a few turns later there are horsemen at your doors. What do you do? Even if you switch your production to warriors or slingers right away, it's already too late since both of those get dominated by horsemen.

15. Victoria

Well that early the horsemen move 3 and have 20 strength. Highly overrated.
    The AI is stupid, the main issue comes when 6 warriors turn up vs you city which is in jungle. When I start in jungle (which I enjoy) I will start with a warrior.
    I do not start every game with scout builder settler. It depends on location. When playing as England it's fairly common to start with a coast and be fairly protected, You have not asked what I do with my warrior, it circles my city looking for a close early barb camp to have a chance at bronze working. This is a very good tactic to avoid what you describe as well as maximising bronze working. The further you warrior move the more likely it will bump into another civ who has cleared its camps.

There is no right or wrong start. There is levels of risk and reward. I do not always play 1 way... I do not start every game with a scout. I play slinger slinger slinger sometimes, it's just so dull though, I'd rather have more variety, shoot me for it IDC

16. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

wait early horsemen have less strength? its not 35 melee? Is it possible I have given up games because I thought they had higher strength...that would be embarassing

I circle my warrior as well but you can't circle 360 degrees and cover approaches from all sides at once with one slow unit

Victoria likes this.
  17. Victoria

You can circle 180 and I play most games as Victoria... without fresh water coz she really does have bad starts.
    Early horsemen are a free gift I am sorry to say @chazzycat ... but you have cheered me up no end.

18. Bro

Bro Warlord

1. Attack fast, before the AI has Swordmen or walls.
    2. You can take a CS out with just a couple of Archers and Warriors, however AI civs usually require a bigger army.
    3. Purchase a Battering Ram right away when it is available.
    4. Don't be afraid to lose units, just keep building more.
    5. Get strategical resources by either trading, settling near them or conquering a city near them.
    6. Pillage the enemy strategical resources, a Scout might come handy in here.
    7. When the odds are against you, stop the attack and wait for an advantage like getting that Iron, Horses or Knights.
    8. Mind the enviroment! It is easier to attack through plains than going through forests, hills and mountain passes.
    9. A Great General will come handy.
    10. Send Traders to build roads strategically.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. civtrader6

civtrader6 Warlord

Solid advice. Although, I prefer not to loose units - (I like building army in batches: either all in the capital (archers warriors, no longer than 15 turns) , sequentially, or if going to chariots to knights in a few selected cities 5-6 turns each) - and instead prefer building settlers early - but sometimes there are surprises (e.g. unseen archer behind a hill) and sometimes a sacrifice speeds things up.

One thing to note - if you're attacking a city, plan all your moves so that you can swiftly move your army in position. For example, even if they have walls and an archer - you can still take the city with a few archers warriors - the trick is to place as many units as possible around the city in one turn. Also if you happen to have a spare builder, let him follow the army - as you can lure enemy units out of the city with a builder.
    But the reality is - you really need to be rapid in your conquest. Archer/warrior rush while AI doesn't have walls. And then horses/knights as soon as possible.
    For quick SV you need at least 10-15 cities at T70 - at least half of which you need to conquer.

20. civtrader6

civtrader6 Warlord

This was discussed at length in the opening moves thread.
    Yes it does leave you exposed but - IMO - a) thats the thrill - b) ppl widely overestimate the actual barbarian threat early on, and as @Victoria notes ai is really poorly programmed.
    Its incredible how many horses one strategically fortified warrior can handle. Also, sometimes the horses will just go away. And in case of severe barb attack do slingers really provide good protection against horse archers?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    stinkubus likes this.