Strategy Objectives - Mid Term

If we are really lucky we will make contact with another civ before Team Cav tries to blow through.

If Team Cav reaches our borders and still seem intent to continue I think we should consider revealing that we already have a workboat well on its way. Of course this might not stop them. But it would give us iron clad proof that they were using false-friend diplomacy (we take a hit too though for lying about the workboat).

Not smart to inform them on our workboat if they ramrod our borders in a hostile manner. If they respect the border and all that, we are honest.

we take a hit too though for lying about the workboat.
What Lie??? There was no OFFICIAL lie about us having sent out a workboat...:D (NOT AN ATTACK, just normal diplomacy)

I want to mention that if Eastern neighbor sent a scoutboat west, then obviously we will meet them first... However, if they sent the boat east and are exploring west with a land unit (like us) then it is possible that we ALREADY PASSED the unit. For example, if our warrior had been 2 squares N on turn 43, we would not have seen Cavalieros until they got to our border.

It is POSSIBLE that we could pass their western exploring unit (who might be N hiding from a bear:)) and then the unit moves S and makes contact with Cavalieros behind us... How would we deal with this? We should have a plan in place...

That would be a bummer if they managed to make contact before us! And unlucky, we are quite a bit ahead of them.

Btw we never said we didn't have a wb, just that we thought it was clever they sent one so early

Btw we never said we didn't have a wb, just that we thought it was clever they sent one so early
Good point, and an important distinction... So our credibility is harmed even less. What do you think about telling them we will build a boat and sail E to represent both of our interests? What about just telling them we are way ahead of them, already sailing E and that if they trust us, they will let us represent both our interests? Crossing our borders would only indicate that they do not trust us to make contact east for them.

We should keep our workboat secret. Even disbanding it just before we reach their other side.

We should keep our workboat secret. Even disbanding it just before we reach their other side.
OK, but why? I think you have made this same statement a couple of times but I looked for an explanation and could not find any. If you already explained just post a link instead of wasting your time re-typing your reasons. I just don't understand why you feel so strongly that we should keep the wb a secret..:confused:

Why do you want to tell about the workboat so badly, why not let it be a non-issue until further notice?

If they don't ask us about the wb, then we don't bring it up. And we don't ask them if they have sent any other wb west either, as that may prompt them to ask us of we have sent one too.

I think it's good to hide the contact with a new civ as it will make them feel less rushed to push through and make contact themselves

Why do you want to tell about the workboat so badly, why not let it be a non-issue until further notice?
Come on, Provo... That's not a response... Now, I admit that Kaleb agrees with you, which makes me inclined to drop the issue (who wants to argue with the King:king: right?), but Kaleb also (uncharacteristically) did not include much explanation, so... My reasons are as follows:

I want to tell about the workboat because:
1. Although initially believing that no team could convinced that a rival did not send out a workboat, Provo has convinced me that maybe... just maybe Cavalieros took the bait, and think that we did not send out a scout workboat.

2. I believe that if Cavalieros were fooled about the wb, then they will be anxious to breach our border, because they think they can meet another civ E of us before we do (since we have no wb headed E).

3. I think that if they knew that we already sent a wb E, they would realize they have little hope of meeting a civ E of us before we do.

4. If they can't beat us to a civ E, they might as well wait for permission to enter borders, to avoid hostility, since they have very little chance of beating us to the New civ.

That's my reasoning... what about you guys?:confused:

Well, we need to keep them at bay, literally, until we got alphabet, and we may need the extra turns for negotiation with the northeast civ. It is critical we delay them till turn 50, and let them through at that point, as it allows us to max out our workboat diplomacy.

This is very critical, so complete radio silence on our workboat.

I want to tell about the workboat because:
1. Although initially believing that no team could convinced that a rival did not send out a workboat, Provo has convinced me that maybe... just maybe Cavalieros took the bait, and think that we did not send out a scout workboat.

2. I believe that if Cavalieros were fooled about the wb, then they will be anxious to breach our border, because they think they can meet another civ E of us before we do (since we have no wb headed E).

3. I think that if they knew that we already sent a wb E, they would realize they have little hope of meeting a civ E of us before we do.

4. If they can't beat us to a civ E, they might as well wait for permission to enter borders, to avoid hostility, since they have very little chance of beating us to the New civ.

That's my reasoning... what about you guys?
What's all this King thing abou?! :confused: we are a Khan
ate after all :p

Anyway... I am a little torn about the wb issue. On the one hand telling them we already have a wb may make them relax as they will know they can't make contact before us. But I think this attitude is unlikely.

More likely, they will already have a rough idea of when they will meet civ3 and will know that if we beeline for Alpha they will get it from us in time to immediately make trades with civ3.

If they know we have a wb far enough ahead to make contact and even shape the tech decisions of civ3 before alpha this will mean they will ask us to make negotiations for them. I would rather they didn't know than for us to say 'no'.

Also, knowing we are ahead of them will make them less inclined to delay us trading alpha with them, as we'll be in a position to trade with 2 civs before they can trade with each other.

No need to tell them about workboat...why should we? Just dealay deal by 1 turn...say something that it is in vote process and will take 1-2 days, but things are looking good.

I agree Kaleb, the workboat is a non-issue (not a lie) , and we need to delay them to turn 50 (deal going from turn 50 to 120), as City 3 will be built around turn 50, and we do not want that incident or workboat to move back.

They think we got a 48 public poll, and we should post it pro forma, so when forums are opened, we maintain our reputation.

I agree Kaleb, the workboat is a non-issue (not a lie) , and we need to delay them to turn 50 (deal going from turn 50 to 120), as City 3 will be built around turn 50, and we do not want that incident or workboat to move back.
Delaying the workboat has nothing to do with the build of city3?? I don't see the connection. Any delay will be because of the points I explained above. It's all about the trade with the third civ.

They think we got a 48 public poll, and we should post it pro forma, so when forums are opened, we maintain our reputation.
'48 poll' = 48 hour poll right?

And who said anything about forums being opened? Why do we need to maintain our reputation after the game is over anyway?? :confused:

I agree but this thread is actually for mid term strategy stuff not turn play stuff. What we should be talking about here is the feudalism gambit proposed by Team Cav. As part of their proposed alphabet for monarchy deal Team Cav has now indicated (informally) that they intend to build the Oracle in order to get feudalism, which they would then share with us for about 150 beakers or so worth of future tech. I'd like to hear some discussion this here. Is it a good deal? Feudalism gives us longbows (with archery). Nice defensive unit. Also seems to give us a leg up on techs (with Team Cav) which could be expanded upon if we renewed the tech partnership.

I agree, more so it positions us for Civil Service.

We are to get first shot on CoL, they will handle math, sailing and archery in the meantime.

Then we can get CS right after. as we got feudalism there too.

I agree but this thread is actually for mid term strategy stuff not turn play stuff. What we should be talking about here is the feudalism gambit proposed by Team Cav. As part of their proposed alphabet for monarchy deal Team Cav has now indicated (informally) that they intend to build the Oracle in order to get feudalism, which they would then share with us for about 150 beakers or so worth of future tech. I'd like to hear some discussion this here. Is it a good deal? Feudalism gives us longbows (with archery). Nice defensive unit. Also seems to give us a leg up on techs (with Team Cav) which could be expanded upon if we renewed the tech partnership.

It is a top deal...Feudalism gives us the opportunity to addopt Hereditary rule for hapiness, vassalage for 2 promo troops and make longbows...

Also it unlocks serfdom....which might not be a bad idea if we find that every other civ is far, since we will improve our land super fast.

An idea is to addopt serfdom..beeline Civil service (with some diplo deal)...improve land and grow cities to max....and when we have civil service switch back to slaver along with bureocracy for 1 turn of anarchy.

Delaying the workboat has nothing to do with the build of city3?? I don't see the connection. Any delay will be because of the points I explained above. It's all about the trade with the third civ.

'48 poll' = 48 hour poll right?

And who said anything about forums being opened? Why do we need to maintain our reputation after the game is over anyway?? :confused:

Well it has. Because of the cultural border that will impact the work boat, which will be pushed outside farther back. This is why we need to get this deal now.

Top Bottom