1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategy Question: Balancing exploration and espionage

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mjs0, Jul 19, 2007.

1. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I have always in the past tended to explore as much of the map as possible as early as possible.

I have always felt there are many benefits to this approach...
    - Know your enemies
    - More opportunities to trade (esp. techs)
    - +1 naval movement.
    - etc.
    with very few negatives.

Now in BTS there is a new variable, espionage. If I have early contact with all the other civs but they average contact with only half the civs in the game then my espionage points get spread very thinly and they all end up with a significant early advantage in that department.

Imagine being the first (and for some time, the only) civ to discover an isolated island based civ. They get to target you with all their EPs and you have all the other civs to worry about.

What do people think...is a policy of exploration still a good idea or should I play more insular and only explore my immediate environs?

2. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

That is an excellent observation, and one I hadn't considered. I'll have to play a few times to see how diligent the AI is abou investing in the new espionage slider. . . .

3. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

I would also imagine that the AI targets the best player more and the human player specifically (if not, they should) which means you'll be likely to be getting the brunt of the spying by others, so you won't want to get all that negative attention before you have the resources to counter it.

4. robcheng

robcheng Sleep-deprived Addict

You have to wonder if that isolated civ is going to bother sailing ships full of spies your way though...if not, who cares if an AI civ can see your cities and what you are researching through passive espionage?

5. icantdrawanime

icantdrawanime Chieftain

cant hide in a hole forever...

6. ChunkyLover53

ChunkyLover53 Chieftain

And i presume that if you are the first to meet that AI they will be either

a) somewhat behind in tech because they can't trade
    b) MAYBE lacking in espionage points simply because they aren't as necessary to a civ who hasn't encountered anyone else.

Yes, i think it could be an issue if you are the first, but i would imagine that its not going to kill you. Usually when i'm the first to run into a civ i try to befriend it before it can be corrupted by any of my enemies...so at least when i play, these isolated countries wont be too big a threat