Strategy to end all Strategies: Hippus Horses

Bill Bisco

Callous Calling
Alright,

Civ4 is long gone. FFH is long gone, but it's still a fun game. Master of Mana is continuing the legacy of FFH well on it's on website currently. A few people trickle in from time to time who recently bought Civ4 and installed FFH to try out the game and see what it's about.

The users on this forum are heavy SP, with very few ever playing FFH in MP let alone seriously playing MP consistently. That being said I wish to leave one final piece of advice in the strategy forum before I go.

The most powerful and versatile unit in FFH is the Horse-Archer. Why? Well for several reasons.

1. 6/6 Str remains useful throughout the game.
2. High Withdrawl and the ability to increase Withdrawl through promotions means that the Horse-Archer has a very high lifespan indicating that they will fight many times before dying.
3. High Mobility. Having 3 Base movement (4 with Hippus) means that Horse-Archers can quickly outmaneuver an enemy and that you can conduct long-term campaigns very far away from your current cities.
4. 1 First Strike and +40% against archers. Icing on the cake increasing the lifespan of the Horse-archers and ability to take down the unit that deals the most damage to them.
5. Easy Access. Hippus automatically start with horses and the tech line to gain Horse Archers is short.

The greatest disadvantage to using horses, is the risk of getting Horse Techs and not having horses within borders quick enough, a non-issue for the Hippus.

For a Pangea-like game with difficulty up to about Monarch or Emperor, the strategy is as follows:

1. Research Path Animal Husbandry->Horseback Riding

Your first build is a worker. After that point you build 2-3 warriors and if time permits, a settler.
Next, you build a settler, and then start cranking out Horsemen to conquer a nearby city. During this time you will try to level up your starting warriors so that you can promote them to a Horsemen. Ideally, you will get 3 Starts and the Healing While Moving Promo so that your future horsemen will have the Healing While Moving Promo which is normally unavailable to them.

2. Declare war on a neighbor or sack a barbarian city that you can capture. Use the Hippus warcry on your team of horses and you will find your chances of conquering dramatically increase.

3. While this is going on continue your research path with Ancient Chants->Mysticism. Upon getting Mysticism immediately switch to God-King and build Elder Councils with a sage in it in some of your cities. After that Get Education, Mining and other Economic techs to boost your economy and take advantage of improving your cities' happiness so that you can be a better builder.

While you're researching all these techs, you're building lots of horsemen and your empire is expanding. They're getting highly promoted and living a good bit of time. Always give promotions that increase withdrawl and once withdrawl is maxed, then increase Strength and then maximize Drill.

4. Next in line is going Archery-> Stirrups and you now replace building Horsemen with Horsearchers, and suddenly you get a big boost in conquering. If possible promote your best Horsemen to Horsearchers, they'll really shine!

5. After this go for Empyrean->Religious Law to get Chalid or go for knights and the Hippus Hero.

What will you notice after employing this strategy?

Well, you'll notice a few things.

1. Withdrawl is the name of the game
2. Hippus's ability to capture other cities early gives them a significant production, science, and economy boost that lets them grow quicker, conquer other cities quicker and ultimately builds upon itself making the world bend to its knees very fast
3. Warriors, Axemen, and the like are too slow and Catapaults are weak, costly, die quickly and vastly superior to utilizing a force of Horses.
4. Mages, Archmages, Iron, Tier 3 units and the like are unnecessary because the Horse-Archer Dominates the World far quicker.
5. Even when playing a Deity or similar unbalanced game against a superior opponent. Horsearchers are able to pillage enemy cities until you are better able to conquer them, and that a small force of Horses is far superior than vast numbers of higher strength slow non-withdrawing units

Anyway, I myself didn't discover this until I got beat by my friend several times in MP. Try it out for yourself, it's quite fun!

Cheers,
Bill

->Ancient Chants->God-King
Then in some order or another get Education, Mining, Calendar and like techs that improve your economic situation. After which point get Archery->Horseback Riding. Then Beeline for Military Strategy to create the Heroic Epic to build in a city to increase Military Production by 100%. After that you could go for Empyrean or go for Knights and the Hippus hero, but that's largely unnecessary.

5. Even when playing a Deity or similar unbalanced game against a superior opponent. Horsearchers are able to pillage enemy cities until you are better able to conquer them, and that a small force of Horses is far superior than vast numbers of higher strength slow non-withdrawing units.

That's up until that vast stack of more powerful, non-withdrawing units walks into your cities, right?;)

You're welcome to test your theories. I haven't made such conclusions lightly. But put simply, 1 move units are vastly inferior to 4 move units that have an extra first strike and high withdrawl. One gets far less xp, takes very long to conquer cities and dies quickly, while the other gets lots of xp, lives for a long time, and conquers cities quickly.

Come on by to http://wbe01.mibbit.com/?server=razorvine.selfip.net&channel=#erebus&autoConnect=true sometime and I'll show you.

I don't think anyone can seriously claim that cavalry aren't absurdly powerful in FFH when used properly. It's pretty much a given by now.
That's up until that vast stack of more powerful, non-withdrawing units walks into your cities, right?;)
Assuming there is anything left of that stack by the time it reaches the city.

Top Bottom