Strategy - Victory without Temples or Cathedrals

WoundedKnight

Warlord
Ok...I'll be the first to say it: I think that the religious civ attributes is overvalued. I've started playing games without ever building a temple or cathedral, and have done fine.

The anarchy for a few turns is the only thing I miss about religious civs. I beeline straight to the Republic, stay in republic until democracy, and in democracy until the end of the game.

The key to this strat is getting as many luxury resources as possible early on. The good thing about luxuries is that (1) they don't cost any shields, and (2) they cost no upkeep. So being very aggressive early on is key. Connecting offshore luxuries with harbors is important if you aren't playing on pangaea.

As discussed in a recent thread, the more luxuries you have, the more smileys a marketplace will add up to 12 smileys if you have all 8 luxuries (1 or 2 - no more, 3:+1, 4: +2, 5:+4, 6:+6, 7:+9, 8:+12. In addition to the one smiley per luxury at baseline. And if you have Adam Smith's Trading Company, you pay no upkeep at all for the marketplaces.

Compare this to temples, which you have to put 30 or 60 shields into up front, depending on whether you are a religious civ or not. Then you have to pay 1 gold for every temple you have, or 3 for every cathedral, throughout the ENTIRE game. And they only make 1 person happy (temples, unless you have oracle, then it's 2 until that expires) or 3 for a cathedral. That's not much bang for your buck. Temples cost money instead of feeding you money. Going from 5 to 6 luxuries with cities with marketplaces is like building a cathedral in every city and no cost and with no overhead. Going from 5 to 8 is almost as good as building two cathedrals, temples, and colloseums in every city (9->20 smileys) with no overhead. So why waste shields and resources on temples and cathedrals? Spend your shields and $ on building military so you can claim luxuries instead.

Occasionally I've had to put some temporary money into entertainment, but almost never beyond 30% (on regent), going down to virtually 0% when things have stabilized and marketplaces are built. In any case, it's not an ongoing issue like for temples where you pay forever.

I play scientific civs. That way you can build libraries up front instead of temples. They give you more culture and equally importantly, they help with your research so that by the time your first round of libraries and marketplaces is built, you have both the scientific and economic power to leap to the front of the pack. I generally play Persian for the industrious bonus too to lay down improvements and roads. Faster roads means more commerce which in turn means faster science and more money. By channelling resources (shields + gold) into the more productive activities of science, economy, and industry with this strategy, I got a score of over 4200 last night on a regent Pangaea map (the first time I tried this strat). I only played to 1400 (domination victory) and didn't milk the game at all. I had computers when none of the other players even had industrialization (small map). I'm not an expert player, but that's much better than I've done with the old Egyptian or Babylonian templemania.

Anyway, the reason I posted this is because I asked recently on this board how many temples/cathedrals people build and the overwhelming concensus was temples in all cities & cathedrals at least in large cities. And I'm posting this because, at least in my experience, it's possible to do very well without ever building a single temple at all, and with only very minimal and temporary expenses devoted to entertainment.

Drawbacks of this strat: Maybe on Emperor or Diety where people are really whiny you sometimes HAVE to build some temples, even with luxuries, and let productivity and science take a back seat to simply keeping the peace. Or if you have a really bad starting position and can't settle or warmonger your way to a good array of luxury resources.

WoundedKnight
:king:

Originally posted by WoundedKnight

The key to this strat is getting as many luxury resources as possible early on. The good thing about luxuries is that (1) they don't cost any shields, and (2) they cost no upkeep.

:king:

Very good point!:)

I'll have to give this a try in my next game.

Edit: Are you ever affected greatly by culture flippage?

Wow, i never thought this all the way through it seems. :goodjob:

On the other hand, you depend entirely on libraries for Culture, so what if you can't keep up in military with your neighbour? You will need to fight all the time (not that i mind). I guess a builder style, even after inital forcefull expansion, won't be possible with this approach.

Another thing: Often, the Temple makes the differnce for WLTKD in far-off cities :D

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.

On the other hand, you depend entirely on libraries for Culture, so what if you can't keep up in military with your neighbour? You will need to fight all the time (not that i mind). I guess a builder style, even after inital forcefull expansion, won't be possible with this approach.

Another thing: Often, the Temple makes the differnce for WLTKD in far-off cities :D

AH, but Killer, the half price University's (100 gold) are now significantly cheaper then Cathedral's (160) AND give 4 culture vs. the cathedral's 3, with the same maintenance cost (2). Plus of course the 50% boost to science. Also, back to Librarys, with their 3 culture you get the first 10 culture points and the resulting city radii expansion in 4 turns rather then the 5 turns that temples 2 culture pts. require.

The core to WoundedKnight's game is I think that he's combining Industrious with Scientific. I've perferred Military with Industrious (half price barracks = more vets, plus I love cheap harbors for that extra food in coastal tiles), though I will be trying "Indy" with religous in my next game. Key is the Industrious trait.

Another thread is debating "Indy" vs. Religous. Seems to me the debate should be Indy & X, vs, Indy & Y .... what pairs best with Industriousness. Religious, Military, and perhaps Scientific are certainly 3 big contenders. Perhaps some ambitous person will compare each of the other 5 traits against each other, in the context of being paired with industriousness. "Vel" at 'Poly is convinced that Industriousness is THE key civ trait, and he presents a good case.

(An Off topic whine, skip if you prefer: WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! This means as sure as night follows day that Firaxis will decide to reaccess the relative strenghts of the civ traits and make Industriousness weaker, as it is "dominating the game" and to increase the ability of non-Industrious civs to compete ... watch out for the spearman trait civ .... )

All this highlights one of the truly great things about Civ3 and in fact all the civ games, but especially Three with its greater differences between civs (due to the traits issue): There are many many styles and ways to play the game. As I alluded above, depending on ones mood or personallity, you could play with a military, or scientific, or other civ, and take very diffenent approaches to the game. THIS IS SO COOL!!!!

Civ on!

I agree that temples are not needed. In matter of fact libraries are not needed either. If you want a high score for your empire all you need is markets.
I am currently playing the Egyptian at regent level and just got a domination victory in 1240 AD with 7,142 points without milking the map. Last week I finished a warlord game with 10,000 pts by milking to 1866 when I triggered cultural vic.
I can no longer build cities... whatever that maximum number is, (256??) about 60 cavalry and a similar number of musketmen. I have about 150 workers building my RRs
I have built temples to expand city borders but then I sell them so I will not build up culture points (TCV at only 9,736) I have no cathedrals and only half a dozen universities. I genereate new techs every four turns and 400 pieces of gold per turn with a bankroll of about 5000 gold.
Having been a builder I was amazed at some of the HOF high scores. By building a civilized empire you amass temples, cathedrals, libraries etc... and a cultural victory of 100,000 points with a score of about 4,500.
By becoming a rogue nation, you just build, attack, make peace, attack when troops have regained strength and breed happy citizens with market places and conquered luxuries.
:egypt:

>8 luxes + marketplace = 20 happy faces. Check your civilopedia >again.

Of course. I'm quoting the difference with and without a marketplace (8 luxes=8 happies without a marketplace, and 20 with a marketplace. The difference is 12. The incremental nature (1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,) was spelled out in a post on the luxuries by someone earlier this week. My #s are all correct, if you understand what I'm saying...

>Are you ever affected greatly by culture flippage?

No. The library generates more culture points than a temple. And university generates more than a cathedral. Check it out. I actually have benefitted from other peoples cities flipping to me without ever building a temple.

>Industrious with Scientific

Well, I disagree...I don't think industrious is absolutely necessary and often play without it.

I think that getting the Pyramids early on will do more for your economy than industrious. Workers are cheap when they're produced by corrupt peripheral cities that aren't good for much else. They do have the pop though. Pyramid=granaries in all cities=better industry. Much more than a piddling little 1 shield extra in cities over size 12 like Industrious civs. If your cities grow twice as fast...well, you can tell me yourself what the implications are for building wonders & other structures when your cities are size 12 and the other guy's cities are size 7...

Militaristic is okay, but definitely not my favorite. Getting Sun Tzu's (free barracks) is better than simply faster barracks for militaristic civs that still cost maintenance. And the double chances of getting elites means more elite units to get GLs with. But how many GLs do you need? I usually use 1 for an army, one to rush the FP, and that's about it. If you have pyramids, wonder construction is more limited by your tech level (what's available) than by city productivity. To be honest, I have a hard time finding much to do with more than 2-3 GLs. 2 are necessary, 3 is nice. But who needs 10? 15? So you can rush temples in peripheral cities?

IMO: Pyramid is better than Industrious. Sun Tzu's is better than Militaristic. Temples & Cathedrals in many cases are superfluous, with the main religious bonus being decreased anarchy. Expansionist is nice on big maps if you get lucky early and get some settler huts, but later in the game there's no benefit. Commercial benefits are trivial. Nothing really compensates for not being scientific, however. Faster tech=more wonders & happier civ and superior military.

My 2 cents.

WoundedKnight

One query.

Early in the game with towns spread out, and open tiles between them, I can expect some Settler Diarrhea bullbleep - if I leave an open tile somewhere the stupid AI will eventually drop a settler in there. This is a major pain, and can cut the road linking towns and cities.

I usually relied on temples for a quick shot of that Culture crap to help expand the borders and fill in those open tiles.

Any reaction to that issue?

Zouave, I gave it a shot and found that the AI will not settle into the gaps if they are only two tiles wide. So, if you place the towns to cover every tilw after culture expansion to two tiles (! Important! Remeber the diagonal tiles) you are relatively safe (unlike versions before 1.21)

WoundedKnight, I agree with your assessments but I'll still build temples and cathedrals when I have time. Also build Sistine Chapel which allows cathedrals to affect 6 persons instead of 3.

When I go to war I stay in Republic or Democracy, whichever one is available, so every little bit of happiness helps.

Zouave, the AI NEVER (please anyone confirm...) puts an city if there is not 9 tiles for a basic city!

WoundedKnight, good strategy. I'll try it. Change your title below your name: you can and you deserve it! :D

One question: apart from scientific, whichis the best characteristic for a civ, in your opinion, and why?

wha, you can change the title below your name?

Originally posted by Dynamic Cow
wha, you can change the title below your name?

You, yes. You have enough posts and days to do so.

Change chieftain to a personal one.

In your control panel (click user cp in the top of any window of the forum... ), click edit profile and change the title, just above the additional information, in the "New title" box

Max: 25 characters

Go.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
Zouave, I gave it a shot and found that the AI will not settle into the gaps if they are only two tiles wide. So, if you place the towns to cover every tilw after culture expansion to two tiles (! Important! Remeber the diagonal tiles) you are relatively safe (unlike versions before 1.21)

You seem to be right.

I spotted rival civ galleys sailing up and down my coast - but bypassing those two tile open gaps.

Industrious is good because of the fast workers. But late in the game the workers will be standing around with nothing to do and the trait has lost its most important quality.

Scientific is good because it gives you faster libraries and universities, and later the research labs. After that, Scientific loses its value.

Religious is good because it gives you faster temples (nice early on) and cathedrals. Once they are built, religious has questionable value, notwithstanding the quick government shifts (which I don't do anyhow).

Expansionist is good because it gets you out of the first era very quickly. Its usefulness ends abruptly when you enter the second era but by that time you should have a commanding tech lead over the non-expansionist civs.

Commercial is good on a huge map where you are likely to have 50+ cities spread out over a large area, but some people don't like having that many cities. This trait doesn't help so much in the early game but may be more valuable than the others in late game.

Then there is militaristic. Cheap barracks/harbors, etc., but these savings aren't as great as the scientific/religious savings. However, more promotions is a good thing and helps you throughout the game.

It all depends on what you like.

'Greeks, scientific and commercial, seems to be the best CIV'

UHHHH???? - Iv never heard this before. The commercial bonus is absoloutley useless in my opinion - it should definetley be bigger

Top Bottom