Strating with dense rivals without iron/copper/horse/ivory.

gavenkoa

Prince
There is an old thread:

* https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/no-copper-no-iron-no-war.178636/
* https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/dgenw/civ4_question_no_hope_without_iron_or_copper_on/

I was in such game with crippled stagnating economy (can build units but can't progress research) in war with Shaka & China. Rivals (5 nations) have 3/4 cities, I have 4. All on single island of Tiny size map.

Difficulty Immortal and I tried "Aggressive AI" option for fun.

I got to Archery, Iron Working, Writing and actively built cottages (Philosophical/Charismatic) trying to keep positive income.

They lost troops against my Archers in cities but I had no any research progress...

With stack of archers (Combat 1) I took control of Iron but I am in negative balance (upkeep of units is ~25c at T100).

I wasted a lot of time on Shaka's Impi (STR4) until I got access to Iron and then I struggled to Construction (from the money of taken city) and conquered Shaka. Catapult are necessary as Shaka's city culture defense was 40-60%.

What can be done without iron/copper/horse/ivory?

I saw:

* attack with archers and catapults
* beeline to Feudalism
* constantly destroy rival's Iron with spies.
* generate new map - don't like this option ((

Extra: above discussions say nothing about crippled economy & constant war from ~T70.

To be honest I haven't tried to trade Iron from peaceful AIs. Instead of stacking Archers I might cut unit cost in flavor of importing Iron or Copper...

Another mistake is that I haven't considered to make peace with Shaka after getting his Iron. This decreases war weariness making cities a bit larger (more cottages!). It might help to catch research process...

Another idea: prepare junk city for gifting. Make other AI exposed to Shaka on other part of the map.

Will distant solitary city increase tension between AIs?

Is city giving pacify AI?

Some difficulty that you don't know in advance if you have access to strategic resources. So you my wasted time on Animal Husbandry, Iron Working...

Found another problem: haven't settled Great Scientists besides Academy. I got some and with stagnating economy +8beakers/T in early game helped definitely. I kept them for future +1500 research boost, greedy me ))

Top Bottom