Stridsvagn 103, Swedish S-tank

Wyrmshadow

Deity
The Stridsvagn 103 (Strv 103), or S-Tank, was a Swedish tank (although some consider it to be a tank destroyer). It was known for its unconventional turret-less design, with a fixed gun traversed and elevated by engaging the tracks and adjusting the hull suspension. The S-Tank was developed in the 1950s and was the first main battle tank replacement to use a turbine engine. The result was a very low-profile design with an emphasis on defense and heightened crew protection level. S-Tanks formed a major portion of Swedish armored forces during the 1960s, 70s, 80s and part of the 90s, but have since been removed from service in favour of the Leopard 2.

19Delta made the model for me, I painted and animated it.

Stridsvagn 103

Woa that is one interesting tank thanks for turning the model into a Civ unit. I did not realize any countries used a turret-less design after WWII thanks for that information.

Thank you very much for this unit. :)

FYI
Little error in the ini file --> Paradrop.flc ain't there plz remove before running ur game.

Edit*
I have tested the unit and I like it, but it's cammo makes the details of the tank really hard to see.

Btw. has anyone has a suitable wav. file for its fortification move?

Wow! Here's to the partnership :beer:

Wyrm, your use of light just keeps getting better and better - the Death and gun flashes (and is that anti-recoil exhaust?) are great.

- And I can finally retire Boulboulgdol's from 2003.

Best Regards,

Oz

FYI
Little error in the ini file --> Paradrop.flc ain't there plz remove before running ur game.

Edit*
I have tested the unit and I like it, but it's cammo makes the details of the tank really hard to see.

Btw. has anyone has a suitable wav. file for its fortification move?

Try the one from the afore-said's Boulboulgdol version.

Tnx Ozy, but was more looking 4 a last-smoke-engine-blast sound :D
Have a look @ the forty animation! U see a black smoke cloud :)

Wow! Here's to the partnership :beer:

Wyrm, your use of light just keeps getting better and better - the Death and gun flashes (and is that anti-recoil exhaust?) are great.
Oz
That's the spent shell being ejected by the autoloader.

Well I got tired of messing with an MG-42 crew, trying to redo all the animations for the 4th time in a row, so I decided to try someting easier. So I wanted to finish this before I went to bed and I did. Thanks for catching the INI screw up, I was nearly passed out by the time I posted it this morning.

Jatibl thanks for the link. ike I said I was unaware that type of design survived after WWII. After I found out it had I started doing some research on it.

@Wyrmshadow MG-42 crew!:eek:
Have you thought about doing something out of the norm for that?

Youtube has some great videos, like this one, that I used to help me with building the model.

Thanks again for taking this one wyrmshadow. It's a nice birthday present.

I always did like this little tank, dispite the impracticality of the design. And I love your version of it.

BTW, is there any way you could post your modern ships from CDG in civ fanatics. they are thr only one's I haven't found to rebuild my unit library.

I always did like this little tank, despite the impracticality of the design.

Impracticality? - As impractical as the Merkava, both designed with specific terrain and foes in mind.

The Strindsvagen was designed as a defensive platform against a Soviet invasion. It's lack of a turret is deliberate and meant to keep the silhouette low to the ground. And the Swedes assumed that they would know the ground much better than an invader, allowing great use of cover.

So, yes, this latter-day Jagdpanzer definitely fit its bill.

Best,

Oz

Impracticality? - As impractical as the Merkava, both designed with specific terrain and foes in mind.

The Strindsvagen was designed as a defensive platform against a Soviet invasion. It's lack of a turret is deliberate and meant to keep the silhouette low to the ground. And the Swedes assumed that they would know the ground much better than an invader, allowing great use of cover.

So, yes, this latter-day Jagdpanzer definitely fit its bill.

Best,

Oz

It was perfectly suited for Swedish terrain. Foreign military types just loved the uniqueness of it. But it was so limited in its use that it failed on the export market. It was a mobile pillbox, not really a tank. It could NOT fire on the move, so it was indeed a purely defensive unit.

Top Bottom