1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strike

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ltccone, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ltccone

ltccone Prince

It is only 580 AD in my game, but I'm undergoing a "strike." It has crippled my civ. I don't know what caused it or how to end it. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

Hmm, that hasn't hapened to me yet. If you post your save I'd be interested in a look.

3. Bob1475

Bob1475 Prince

I presume you are playing CIV 4 despite your tag line.

Have you lost luxury resources either by a road disconnection or a trade cancelled?

Expanded too rapidly so that you have high maintenance costs?

Please define what you mean by strike?

4. Chaos_BF1942

Chaos_BF1942 Prince

Strike means you are not making money to pay for your troops and stuff. I haven't had it happened but seen it happen to the Spanish in my games, it wasn't that good.

You probably expanded too fast, and the maintenance costs killed you.

5. crismac

crismac Warlord

I have had it happen in my game,it made a cool sound of my troops protesting and if you don't correct the problem in a few turns it will start to disband some of your troops.

6. ceiph

ceiph Chieftain

last online game i played i was doing horrible so decided to see this i purposely went backrupt, the effects wernt that great and its rather slow so i cant see a whole empire being crushed by strikes

7. ltccone

ltccone Prince

Hmm... I have done my last bit of "expanding" by capturing barb cities. I didn't have much choice, as they were producing units to attack me with!

I'll be hooking up a gold mine shortly, hopefully that will help!

8. ltccone

ltccone Prince

It is going to take 89 turns to get to my next tech. THAT is bad!

9. Grogs

Grogs King

Sounds like you've expanded too quickly, and/or built too large of a military. When your treasury is empty and you're still losing gold at 0% science, your units will go on strike. The turn after your units go on strike, you'll start losing units to balance the budget. If you're way behind, this gets ugly. You could potentially lose all of your units. At that point, you would be a sitting duck for the AI or barbs to overrun.

Here's a few things you can do that might help:

- Tell all your city governors to emphasize commerce.

- Grow your cities as large as possible (up to the happiness limit.) More citizens = more tiles worked = (hopefully) more commerce

- Build cottages

- Delete old and outdated units. That 0xp warrior sitting in the capital isn't going to do much good if the AI is coming with maces & catapults anyway.

- Bring as many units as possible inside of your cultural borders. This lowers unit supply costs.

- If you're at war, raze a city or two and pillage all the improvements you can.

- Start building wonders you think the AI will complete soon. When the AI finishes the wonder, you'll get gold back for the hammers you've put into the wonder. If it's a wonder that will help you financially, like the Great Lighthouse or the Colossus, you might want to try and finish it instead.

10. narmox

narmox Emperor

You forgot: COURTHOUSES! When I ahd a strike, I used slavery to rush courthouses everywhere in my empire. I had even lost my workers!